Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

AspieFireMan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Oct 2009, 7:44 pm

A teacher has been accused of poisoning a student with autism so he could not go on a class field trip.

http://www.aspieweb.net/teacher-poisons ... a-barocas/

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 7:51 pm

Punishment should be on the way, I hope...

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 8:25 pm

That could have killed him! 8O What an evil bastard. Did you notice that underneath the story it said that the teacher was put on administration leave after he restrained, and force fed a student? This person seriously needs to be kept away from society.

Last edited by serenity on 09 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 9:23 pm

Man this is what three autistic student abuse incidents in a single week?! Seriously. How is this not national news yet! 8O This is really going too far!! !

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 9:33 pm

He could have killed that boy. That son of a b***h is luck that wasn't my child.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 10:05 pm

I am not going to defend the teacher in this article.

I will ask a couple of questions though...

What kind of support does this school have for a child with special needs. Maybe this child should have had an aide in the classroom at all times. I would hate it if my child was put in a classroom without someone who is trained in how to engage with and respond to the behaviours of children with special needs. I would feel almost sorry for a teacher who has to teach a full class of students who may have varying challenges (Autism, FAS, ADDH, English-second-language, etc. etc.). Teachers are trained to teach - they are not trained in special needs - that's why support is needed. Again, not excusing her actions - they are inexcusable - just wondering where the support was.

For teachers - aside from the need for trained support workers in the classroom - how much professional developement training do they receive? It would be nice if the educators had solid knowledge of the conditions affecting the children. I'm not saying that they should have expertise (that's what the support workers are there for) - but they should have some knowledge. This is provided at professional developement seminars. Does this school or district have adequate professional development?

Finally, I was watching an episode of Jeopardy (imagine someone with traits of Aspergers liking that show...). One of the contestants stated that the daily pay for a teacher-on-call in his state was around $80 per day. HUH!! !! ! A university trained teacher is paid a paltry $80 per day!! ! Perhaps offering educators (who we entrust the education and care of our children) an adequate wage would attract teaching staff with a higher caliber!! ! (BTW - teachers is my province was paid much better than this American teacher and I find the teachers in the public schools here very good).

Again, I cannot stress enough that this teacher's behaviour was inexcusable. I just think that the levels of government in charge of funding education and the school boards themselves can do a lot more to ensure that school is safe place for all.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm

It was a special ed classroom, and a special ed teacher. She knew what she was getting into when she signed up for the job. She's just an evil b***h. No excuses. There is more than one complaint, by more than one person, about more than one child about this teacher.

Mainichi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2009, 11:10 pm

Oh my God, what a damn evil b***h she is for doing that to him. She could have killed him. Does she have to freaking kill a kid before someone does something about her?

dusanyu
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2009, 12:36 am

This persons license should be revoked

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 2:15 am

She should also be jailed. Good on the nurse for reporting her.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Oct 2009, 9:16 am

Actual story from the Indy Star instead of a blog.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:50 pm

CanadianRose wrote:
Teachers are trained to teach - they are not trained in special needs - that's why support is needed. Again, not excusing her actions - they are inexcusable - just wondering where the support was.

For teachers - aside from the need for trained support workers in the classroom - how much professional developement training do they receive? It would be nice if the educators had solid knowledge of the conditions affecting the children. I'm not saying that they should have expertise (that's what the support workers are there for) - but they should have some knowledge. This is provided at professional developement seminars. Does this school or district have adequate professional development?

In the US, Special Ed teachers are actually supposed to be trained to help people with special needs.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 12:57 pm

In CanadianRose's defense, I think she thought this story was about a reg ed teacher, trying to deal with an inclusive classroom. What she is saying about that sort of environment is true. With FAPE, and IDEA now being enforced it is difficult for reg ed teachers to do their job. The school system hasn't caught up to the newer laws on inclusion. They don't want to spend the money to hire necessary paras, and even when they do, the paras aren't anymore knowledgeable than the teacher, unless it's through their own experience.

Of course, there's nothing that will help a teacher that's a sociopath, besides firing her ass, which seldom ever seems to get done. Instead, the school will quietly let them go, and they'll just get a job somewhere else, being another district's problem.

MizLiz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 4:30 pm

I don't get why the student didn't have some kind of assistant (at my school, we called them "wraparounds"). Any kid with any kind of a special need (blind, deaf, wheelchair, autistic, any neurological difference/disability at all) got one. Why was it that this b***h was actually alone with him?

That said, I hope she gets attempted murder. She could have killed him.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2009, 7:55 pm

well, the problem is that the Teachers are organized. You pick on one (no matter how justifiably), you 'attack' them all. It's probably the worse they could do to her on short notice...

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2009, 12:41 am

good lord that teacher has problems.