Page 2 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 9:38 am

Inventor wrote:
Autism Speaks has done some great work. If you want to look at how much they are paid, look at the Red Cross.

They are fund raisers, not researchers, and the money they send for research is spent by peer reviewed science, to further knowledge.

No one would claim that children with Polio were treated as full citizens, or any of the other childhood conditions that only well funded research could deal with. You can claim The March of Dimes was a terrorist extorisonist organization, but they brought in the money.

In Honduras I got mugged by three Nuns running an orphanage, they were going to put food on the table, and you know, they will be forgiven.

Genetics study has only shown that autism is not a simple thing. So no extirmination. It has advanced a greater across the board peer reviewed body of science about genetics, that will be useful for many things.

Neurology study has had a rapid payback, not for autism, but brain trama is much better understood and treated, and our troops in the field are getting better care because of it, auto accidents. The days of, "It is just a mild concussion take an asprin," are over, rapid treatment saves lives.

Vaccines? Maybe they did push for and fund studies, which showed Vaccines are safe.

Early treatment and intervention? The majority on WP think there should be more, but after testing to see what works, and that takes money.

One or two women said they wanted to kill their child and themselves? No millions of women have said that, and the ones in the news, killed perfectly healthy children.

Autism Speaks has directed tens of millions toward research that they do not control, real science that helps everyone. In the adult world it is results that count.

So Autism Speaks spends half on fund raising? The non profit cutoff is 89%, and 11% donated to the cause. 50% is good numbers.

All of this work is being protested? They are being harrassed at every public function? Why?

ASAN in my part of the woods would be said to, 'Have a mouth full of nothing, and a hand full of gimmie."

ASAN are doing this for all of us? Well stop.

ASAN speaks for autism? Not a chance, they are some self serving street gang out to become our self appointed leaders, because they smell money and power.

ASANs attacks on the one group that has brought in and spent tens of millions to gain a greater understanding of autism, through well funded peer reviewed science, are a hate crime against all autistic people, their families, and they are just rude street trash.

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who makes us look worse?

ASAN or Autism Speaks? Who has done the most good?

ASAN is a group that lives to cause discord, and they have been using Wrong Planet to post their terror network.

ASAN tactics will lead to rocks thrown, blood in the streets, windows broken, and discord on Wrong Planet.

ASAN should not be allowed to drag us into their gang warfare tactics. People seeing me as Rainman was bad enough, I do not want the public to see me as a terrorist.

ASAN should not use Wrong Planet as a base for their mindless hate group.

Autism Speaks, I may disagree about some of what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

ASAN does not speak for me, and any more claims they do will be dealt with.

ASAN has used Wrong Planet to attack Temple Grandin, Tony Attwood, and now the only funding source for research.

We do not need a terrorist extortionst street gang using us to further their agenda.

If they were doing this to a web site it would be called a denial of service attack, which is illegal.

They are disrupting the lawful business of an organization who was promoting autism awareness twenty years ago, who have done a lot of good.

They are playing us against public opinion and the largest group of parents, and others who work to learn about autism.

The public is not our enemy, and Autism Speaks is a lot more like Wrong Planet, people seeking answers.

ASAN is a active danger to our community. They are playing a big game of lets you and him fight.

Terrorists, extortionists, and bullies.

Under TOS, creating discord that causes divisions among the Wrong Planet memebership is not allowed.

Agree and ASAN needs to open their eyes more in the end.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 11:32 am

JerryHatake wrote:
The protest had no effect on the D.C. walk at all. It was simply ignored by everyone who participated in the walk.

Of course, that's what would be expected. Ignoring people with autism is exactly what Autism Speaks does best.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 12:16 pm

I'm glad none of these charities are over here in the UK, Autism speaks and ASAN have their faults. I like to watch these disputes, very entertaining. Nothing beats the NAS, they are the best group.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 7:03 pm

Inventor wrote:
Autism Speaks has done some great work. If you want to look at how much they are paid, look at the Red Cross.

They are fund raisers, not researchers, and the money they send for research is spent by peer reviewed science, to further knowledge.

No one would claim that children with Polio were treated as full citizens, or any of the other childhood conditions that only well funded research could deal with. You can claim The March of Dimes was a terrorist extorisonist organization, but they brought in the money.

In Honduras I got mugged by three Nuns running an orphanage, they were going to put food on the table, and you know, they will be forgiven.

Genetics study has only shown that autism is not a simple thing. So no extirmination. It has advanced a greater across the board peer reviewed body of science about genetics, that will be useful for many things.

Neurology study has had a rapid payback, not for autism, but brain trama is much better understood and treated, and our troops in the field are getting better care because of it, auto accidents. The days of, "It is just a mild concussion take an asprin," are over, rapid treatment saves lives.

Vaccines? Maybe they did push for and fund studies, which showed Vaccines are safe.

Early treatment and intervention? The majority on WP think there should be more, but after testing to see what works, and that takes money.

One or two women said they wanted to kill their child and themselves? No millions of women have said that, and the ones in the news, killed perfectly healthy children.

Autism Speaks has directed tens of millions toward research that they do not control, real science that helps everyone. In the adult world it is results that count.

So Autism Speaks spends half on fund raising? The non profit cutoff is 89%, and 11% donated to the cause. 50% is good numbers.

All of this work is being protested? They are being harrassed at every public function? Why?

ASAN in my part of the woods would be said to, 'Have a mouth full of nothing, and a hand full of gimmie."

ASAN speaks for autism? Not a chance, they are some self serving street gang out to become our self appointed leaders, because they smell money and power.

ASANs attacks on the one group that has brought in and spent tens of millions to gain a greater understanding of autism, through well funded peer reviewed science, are a hate crime against all autistic people, their families, and they are just rude street trash.

ASAN is a group that lives to cause discord, and they have been using Wrong Planet to post their terror network.

ASAN tactics will lead to rocks thrown, blood in the streets, windows broken, and discord on Wrong Planet.

ASAN should not be allowed to drag us into their gang warfare tactics. People seeing me as Rainman was bad enough, I do not want the public to see me as a terrorist.

Autism Speaks, I may disagree about some of what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it.

ASAN has used Wrong Planet to attack Temple Grandin, Tony Attwood, and now the only funding source for research.

We do not need a terrorist extortionst street gang using us to further their agenda.

If they were doing this to a web site it would be called a denial of service attack, which is illegal.

They are disrupting the lawful business of an organization who was promoting autism awareness twenty years ago, who have done a lot of good.

They are playing us against public opinion and the largest group of parents, and others who work to learn about autism.

The public is not our enemy, and Autism Speaks is a lot more like Wrong Planet, people seeking answers.

ASAN is a active danger to our community. They are playing a big game of lets you and him fight.

Under TOS, creating discord that causes divisions among the Wrong Planet memebership is not allowed.

JEEEEZUS CHRIST. You, sir, have just pissed me off to no end.

First of all, I don't affiliate with ASAN, which means my opinion of Autism Speaks is my own.

Secondly, where the flying f**k are you pulling this BS from? I guess that's the new way to end a debate these days in America, if you don't agree with your opponents, denounce them as terrorists.

I am totally sickened that you would sink that low. Sure, there are some people, myself included, that would find it more satisfying to settle this out on the streets with AK-47s and IED's, but we know that's not how the world works, which is why we settle with protests and flyer campaigns.

No matter how you try to disguise it, Autism Speaks is sending the WRONG MESSAGE, doing the WRONG RESEARCH, and overall going about the problem of autism in the WRONG WAY. All you have to do is listen to Jenny McCarthy open her chow hole to know this.

I would never give a cent to this organization.

And yet you accuse me of being a bully and a godforsaken TERRORIST? Who's the one here being so goddamned FANATICAL that they follow Autism Speaks as if it were a religion? So much so that they have to put down everyone who disagrees with them?

Jesus Christ. You are an IDIOT.

And finally, stop abusing the TOS to get your way. That's just you being a baby.

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 7:44 pm

Inventor wrote:

....did you REALLY just call ASAN TERRORISTS?? That is just absurd. You may not agree with them, but to put them on the same level as Al-Qaeda is highly offensive.

Celtic_Frost
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2009, 11:28 pm

I think Inventor and JerryHatake are just trolls whose intent are to make the people of WrongPlanet angry over this BS.

A protest without violence won't have much effect.

ASAN should of had the protest groups bring violence against whoever was with Autism Speaks. They need it.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2009, 11:58 pm

Celtic_Frost wrote:
I think Inventor and JerryHatake are just trolls whose intent are to make the people of WrongPlanet angry over this BS.

ASAN should of had the protest groups bring violence against whoever was with Autism Speaks. They need it.

As much as I would like to agree with you, the fact is that if we do that, our perception in the public eye will stall into a downward, spiraling flatspin. We can't endorse violence. It would only prove what they are trying to say about us, that we are monsters.

However, I don't think we should ever back down in a protest.if Autism Speaks tries to interfere with our peaceful protests and we document it and broadcast it to as many people as possible, they are the ones who will be seen as violent monsters, because they would be trampling over our rights as Americans to assemble and protest. Either AS officials are going to have to put up with our presence, or we will make sure everyone knows how they treat their opposition, and that will hurt them even more than violence against them.

If it comes to a fight, we can't win. But as wise old Kenobi says, "There are alternatives to fighting."

The best warrior fights not with his hands, but with his mind.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:00 am

Sati wrote:
Inventor wrote:

....did you REALLY just call ASAN TERRORISTS?? That is just absurd. You may not agree with them, but to put them on the same level as Al-Qaeda is highly offensive.

Not to mention brainless. I can't believe he just resorted to the Great American Cop-out. That's just baka, and it proves he had no other way of counterarguing our point.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:53 am

If Autism Speaks is such a shining beacon of hope and support for the autistic community, why do they refuse to let actual autistic people (especially self-advocates) have any part in their organization, or any say in how it's run?

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:46 am

Celtic_Frost wrote:

I am not a troll for your information. So accusing me of trolling is not nice to say when I have the right to speak my mind on this issue.

I think this an issue that both sides are arguing their strongest points and it is more likely to continue till one side breaks focus.

I just stop replying to this thread because the event is done and over with.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:56 am

I support Jerry. He is just another guy on WP like anyone here. :)

I oppose Autism Speaks though and I regret donating money to them through ad revenues from Helium.com.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 Nov 2009, 12:12 pm

Jerry. . . Why would you support an organization like autism speaks? And the only ones who looke like jerks were the people marching.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 3:21 pm

alex wrote:
Jerry. . . Why would you support an organization like autism speaks? And the only ones who looke like jerks were the people marching.

Then Michelle would call you a jerk then. I am on her side because the recent dramatic increase of diagnosis of people with Autism is something that can not be ignored. Plus do you think about how other people feel about the issue. What I am seeing from you and almost everyone on here is that you're all looking at one side of the story. That is irrational because one side is not the right nor full story. Honestly, I trust Michelle over you in my personal opinion and reasoning.

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 7:25 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
alex wrote:

Then Michelle would call you a jerk then. I am on her side because the recent dramatic increase of diagnosis of people with Autism is something that can not be ignored. Plus do you think about how other people feel about the issue. What I am seeing from you and almost everyone on here is that you're all looking at one side of the story. That is irrational because one side is not the right nor full story. Honestly, I trust Michelle over you in my personal opinion and reasoning.

Unfortunately, Autism Speaks, while not ignoring autism, is ignoring autistic people, and that's the very kindest way to describe what they're doing. In fact, Autism Speaks has completely monopolized the discussion about autism, so much that the large majority of people are not aware that there IS another point of view than theirs, without letting the very people that their cause concerns have any part in it and any decisions that result from it.

You say that almost everyone here hasn't looked at the other point of view enough? Most of us have HEARD it, FELT it, been subjected to it in one form or another for all our lives, the belief that, as we are, we are burdens on society and incomplete beings who need fixing in order not to offend anybody. As if that were the highest priority of our existences, to become more palatable to the general public. Some people have even internalized it, despite their best efforts. This is one of the only places where it's taken for granted that we aren't the broken ones, and it's society that needs the fixing. This shouldn't become another place of unwelcome. Instead, the more of the outside world that starts to realize that including us is a better solution than changing us, the better.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 7:47 pm

JerryHatake wrote:
... I am on her side because the recent dramatic increase of diagnosis of people with Autism is something that can not be ignored...

This is a myth.

Or rather, this is exactly true - that more diagnoses have occurred. The incidence is unchanged.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 11:08 pm

In this case, I really hope that

(1) Autism Speaks will really allow us autistics to advocate for ourselves there
(2) We respect people who support the archaic organization, and;
(3) On the meanwhile, we also understand some people's stand against Autism Speaks because it still doesn't speak on our behalf by depriving us.

And personally, I also think that an organisation is not worth suporting if it claims to help people but it did not really allow those people who are functioning better to speak for themselves!

This is why even though I am still the competent writer I was at Helium.com, when I realised the shortcomings of Autism Speaks, I just simply stopped giving money to it and its related organizations on the website even though I still have the urge to write, as well as... still being inspired to write. Yes, I will never change my stand unless they change theirs, though I still respect people who still support that organization and I support them --- because this is what they think --- the organization is helping them!

Don't worry Jerry, no matter how different our viewpoints are and no matter what people say, you have all the rights to support Autism Speaks. :D