Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2009, 10:41 am

Wow, this thread really got to me.
I have a 4 year old NT son, and I've got the exact same thing going on.
He will come to me with a stuffed animal or toy, and expect pretend social interaction...

And I'm as clueless trying to pretend-talk with a teddy bear as I am trying to actually talk with a human being. I just never have any idea what to say. I have a limited number of scripts that I've developed for this kind of thing. But they are just that: limited. It's really hard responding to the spontaneous imaginative play of a 4 year old.

He and I enjoy play that is not verbal. We love to play ball games, and go exploring in Nature. That kind of stuff we generally do fine with. As soon as verbal social interaction is required, I screw up.

I really don't want to impair his development socially. Hmmmm :chin:

Sala
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2009, 2:02 pm

Hello, I have AS and my career (on hold at the moment) is child care. I also am a mother of a 6 yr old girl.
I used to hate children. Then when I had my daughter, I loved her, and hated all other children. Then I was offered a job at my daughters preschool, and I turned it down. Then my mom yelled at me and I asked the center if I could work with older kids. THey hired me and I've been in childcare sense feb 07. And I love lots of kids now :)

It can be really hard to relate to them. But it can be done. If your child wants to play grocery store, then all you gotta do is this.

Don't throw away the dry food packaging when you are cooking. Instead, tape up the openings and make a menu on your computer. Put all the food in one specific area and that is the store. Anything can be money. My daughter used bead neckalaces for money. Or get some arcade tokens, or you can even just buy play money. The menu can be used to turn the grocery store into a resteraunt.

Barbie's is hard for me. I was playing barbie with my daughter recently. I said something, (in character) and both my daughter and my boyfriend looked up at me and told me I said something mean and rude. I don't remember what I said but, I have not played barbie with her sense.

Also, asking your child to help you is a great way to interact with him (or her). My kiddo loves to tell me how to put the ponies in the stable or to use her leapster. I have a pretty active imagination, I just cannot be imaginitive on demand