Submissions wanted from kids with AS/HFA

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LisaM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2006, 12:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm the mom of a 10-year-old boy with AS (and Tourette and ADHD), as well as a journalist and editor.

Autism Asperger Publishing Company has asked me to put together a book of things written or said by kids with Asperger syndrome or High Functioning Autism. I think it's a great way to show how amazing our kids really are.

The book is tentatively titled More Than Little Professors, and you can read about it on my website: http://www.lisabarrettmann.com/aspergers_project.html

Hope you'll all consider contributing things from your kids. Thanks in advance! --Lisa

Court
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Feb 2006, 2:05 pm

Hi Lisa - it's great to hear about such a book coming about. My son is 10 years old and was originally diagnosed with AS, but then after further evaluation, the dr's determined that b/c of language delay he would technically be considered HFA. They didn't change his AS diagnosis b/c they saw no need to and I was fine with that...he met so many AS traits (except for the language delay) that it really didn't make a difference.

But I have always called my son my little entertainer. Not b/c he's sociable, but b/c of the things he says that he doesn't even realize are funny. One time I got on to his older sister for critisizing him and looking down on him and he said "no mom, she's not looking down on me, she's looking out the window"....our first real breakthrough was when he used a metaphor correctly and understood what it meant. He finished a sentence for me and then said "I took the words right out of your mouth, huh mom?"....of course, being the little aspie that he is, he followed that comment with "well, I didn't REALLY take the words out of your mouth because that would be impossible."....and for some reason he always likes to add the word "indeed" to things....like the other day when I asked him how his day at school was - he told me things he did and I said "wow, that sounds like you had fun" and his response......"hmmm.....fun indeed" - all that was missing was him scratching his chin and looking off into the distance! :D I have no idea where he picks this stuff up from! But he makes me chuckle, and I love it!

I will be sure to check out the website - I'd love to have a book of things like that!

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

03 Mar 2006, 6:22 pm

What is the age limit on this? As a teenager, I fall into the grey area (at fifteen) but I'd gladly consider asking my mom for permission to submit something if you'd want something written by me.

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2006, 7:33 pm

LisaM wrote:
The book is tentatively titled More Than Little Professors, and you can read about it on my website: http://www.lisabarrettmann.com/aspergers_project.html

Please, please, pleeeaaaase, change the title. I *hate* "little professor". I had enough of it as a kid. :x