Male A/AS & literal 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Male A/AS & sense of humor 35%  35%  [ 7 ]
Other [please explain] 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 20

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:08 pm

Do women Aspies tend to have a better sense of humor than the men? Is one gender more prone to being literal?

I'm curious because my wonderful therapist, whose brother is AS, is amazed by my sense of humor, as her brother is the more literal type Aspie.

Thanks!
:D

Edited to add: The female & literal didn't show up, and I know I put that in... what the ???

That's annoying... well, please tell me if you're a woman & literal... I guess you could check other... dang.

Last edited by DonkeyBuster on 14 Oct 2009, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:14 pm

I can't speak for others but
I'm female
and I think I have a pretty good sense of humor. ;3

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2009, 4:53 pm

I'm a bit of both, female, I have a sense of humour (when it's basic and not too intellectual - Monty Python is right up my street) but can also be very literal.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 4:57 pm

I don't personally know anyone funnier than me. :P I may not have much social skill or dexterity, but I totally get whimsy and comedy. In fact, knowing when to use humor to either cover or excuse inappropriate remarks or behavior can spare you a lot of red-faced humiliation. Like turning a stumble into a pratfall [current analogy not intended literally], in an "I meant to do that" moment. :?

I actually find amusement in the fact that my brain often automatically leaps to a literal interpretation of someone else's turn of phrase, even when I know for certain they don't actually mean it that way. Sometimes I pretend to take it literally just screw with them.

Though on occasion I can still be embarrassed to realize that I've completely misread a statement. Sometimes it doesn't even sink in until later. :oops:

As for gender, I don't know if that's a determining factor in either Aspies or NTs. I think a lot of the development of an individual sense of humor is environmental growing up. You'll notice a great many stand-ups come from families that are so normal they're boring. Much of their humor comes from learning to deflect the pain and alienation of being the weird kid in the Stepford family.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2009, 5:05 pm

Willard wrote:
I actually find amusement in the fact that my brain often automatically leaps to a literal interpretation of someone else's turn of phrase, even when I know for certain they don't actually mean it that way. Sometimes I pretend to take it literally just screw with them.

Ditto! :P
Though often it is a genuine wtf! moment and thn it annoys me when they don't repeat cos I WANNA JOIN IN but then it loses its hilarity when they explain it so...though often it's not funny. To me anyway.

Speeder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Oct 2009, 5:07 pm

I am male and I have some sense of humor, but I found that females find my humor much more funny than males..

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2009, 9:52 pm

Hmmm... I know Dan Akroyd publicly came out as having Asperger's. He seems successfully funny (opinions of my father aside) ;)

Excerpt from his interview: "...on the Asperger's side, I have a fascination with police, and I always have to have a badge with me. ... I have a fascination with law enforcement and the police. My grandfather was a Mountie and that. If I don't have a badge on me, I feel naked."

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

14 Oct 2009, 10:57 pm

Willard wrote:
I actually find amusement in the fact that my brain often automatically leaps to a literal interpretation of someone else's turn of phrase, even when I know for certain they don't actually mean it that way.

Oh, very much the same for me. My family (siblings especially) actually played off this type of humour, though it's hard to say how much of it was due to intentionally looking for literalisms rather than automatically leaping to them.

So, I don't think 'literal' and 'have a sense of humour' are opposed to each other. I have a sense of humour, it's just an uncommon one, and it's a pleasure when I come across someone else who shares it.

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

Night_Owl_Amber
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Oct 2009, 11:38 pm

I'm female and have a good sense of humour (I think) :?
I can be sarcastic and I do understand sarcasm most of the time

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2009, 12:02 am

i am somewhat driven by my sense of humor, but my sense of humor is very weird and somewhat difficult to define.
Weirdly, some guys have said that I was one of the few females they had met who was actually funny...

I was called.. "Quite silly"... just the other day, and i am still wondering whether or not he meant it as a good thing...