Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 6:11 am

Celtic_Frost wrote:
Oh I mean to say that poems suck. I don't know how that's considered a talent. Oh noes I can't write a good song or a good book... But I can write a bunch of cut off sentences about nothing! WOW! Hell, I could write a poem as good as this.

*headdesk*

You're like those people who say that photography isn't art.......

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Oct 2009, 2:56 pm

I liked your poem very much Sean. And I am not easy to please when it comes to poetry. It would be difficult for me to stick to any formula when writing poetry. It does become restrictive and therefore harder to keep the integrity of the poem while being limited to a precise measure. But I like sonnets and ballads and I think you have a talent for them.

Quote:
ummm, dude what exactly do you think a song is anyway? it's a POEM set to music. they don't always have to rhyme you know. have you stopped to actually READ lyrics before? i've had people reading my stuff suggest i should write lyrics too Laughing

I was going to suggest that the poem you opened with would be great song lyrics.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:14 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
I liked your poem very much Sean. And I am not easy to please when it comes to poetry. It would be difficult for me to stick to any formula when writing poetry. It does become restrictive and therefore harder to keep the integrity of the poem while being limited to a precise measure. But I like sonnets and ballads and I think you have a talent for them.

Quote:
ummm, dude what exactly do you think a song is anyway? it's a POEM set to music. they don't always have to rhyme you know. have you stopped to actually READ lyrics before? i've had people reading my stuff suggest i should write lyrics too Laughing

I was going to suggest that the poem you opened with would be great song lyrics.
thank you :) .
i've discovered a talent for writing in such measure in the last few months.
i've been writing poems for years anyhow, but i think i've only gotten good lately.

my blog is filled with some of my other works. some i like better than this one, some not quite so. some equally.

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2009, 6:19 pm

Keep writing poetry Sean!
:D
I find the best poetry is written for oneself, and people are privileged if they are allowed access to such personal revelations.

Originality is usually the first aspect to be attacked. It lacks the "stamp" of "social approval". That is not massed produced and commercial.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 8:46 pm

Dancyclancy wrote:
Keep writing poetry Sean!
I find the best poetry is written for oneself, and people are privileged if they are allowed access to such personal revelations.

Originality is usually the first aspect to be attacked. It lacks the "stamp" of "social approval". That is not massed produced and commercial.
thank you very much :).

perhaps by some fluke accident they may become bookworthy someday haha. or lyric worthy.

but something that won't change is that i primarily just write for myself, venting my feelings/perspective and some measure of feelings of productiveness/self-accomplishment haha. that other people seem to like them is just an added bonus. but pushing towards career lines of thought and poetry's possible applications towards that and a healthy sense of curiosity has prompted me to post them up for constructive criticism and just general gauge of public reaction. the thought of being paid to do what you love is an interesting one, no?

Dancyclancy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Oct 2009, 9:08 pm

Yes it is really good not to lose sight of the possibilities of publishing.

I'm in a similar position with my painting. I don't paint the tried and true ( usually fake as...) stuff so I'm immediately at a great disadvantage regarding selling.

Like you my art work is done because I need to do it to LIVE...... a spiritual sort of thing that some don't understand.

Have been/ am down at the moment so should take some of my own advice: written over a decade ago ( my sig is DE LIBERATION)
but I should concentrate on

LIBERATION

Feel that gap between

footfall and the ground

and remain quivering

in the dance.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 4:26 pm

Dancyclancy wrote:
Yes it is really good not to lose sight of the possibilities of publishing.

I'm in a similar position with my painting. I don't paint the tried and true ( usually fake as...) stuff so I'm immediately at a great disadvantage regarding selling.

Like you my art work is done because I need to do it to LIVE...... a spiritual sort of thing that some don't understand.

Have been/ am down at the moment so should take some of my own advice: written over a decade ago ( my sig is DE LIBERATION)
but I should concentrate on

LIBERATION

Feel that gap between

footfall and the ground

and remain quivering

in the dance.
mhmm :)

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:16 pm

Celtic_Frost wrote:
Oh I mean to say that poems suck. I don't know how that's considered a talent. ... I can write a bunch of cut off sentences about nothing! WOW!

Nothing personal, sean but I'm going to have to agree with this. To be honest, I didn't read your poem. Because I don't get poetry at all. Theres supposedly some kind of deeper meaning.. ? I just don't see it. And forget about symbolism *woosh* right over my head.

But good for you!! It's good that you can understand these things that I miss. I hope some people are capable of getting your intended meaning.

*edit* I read it. I stand by what I said :lol:

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:42 pm

mitharatowen wrote:
Celtic_Frost wrote:
Oh I mean to say that poems suck. I don't know how that's considered a talent. ... I can write a bunch of cut off sentences about nothing! WOW!

Nothing personal, sean but I'm going to have to agree with this. To be honest, I didn't read your poem. Because I don't get poetry at all. Theres supposedly some kind of deeper meaning.. ? I just don't see it. And forget about symbolism *woosh* right over my head.

But good for you!! It's good that you can understand these things that I miss. I hope some people are capable of getting your intended meaning.

*edit* I read it. I stand by what I said :lol:
*shrug* it's just not for everyone i guess