I Think I May Need Some Ideas For My Book...

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 11:31 am

I haven't been able to think of any ideas for my novel (the one I told you about in the previous thread, which you have probably ran across.), as I can't really think of what to write. I'm not trying to be too reliant on you guys, but if you could give me some sugguestions it would be a big help.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

Rebecca_L
Toucan
Toucan

17 Oct 2009, 3:10 pm

I would try to help but I didn't read the other thread, don't know how to find it, and don't know what you're thinking about in your writing. Sorry.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 3:34 pm

Think about the journey (the novel), and the Destination (the last page?) You're telling a story with at least one beginning, middle, and end. Some people throw in a 'backstory', but one thing at a time.

What do you want to say? How do you see the novel, from beginning to end? Nail this down as your 'skeleton'. Then answer procedural questions; how does a given action affect a character? what's the reaction?

then you start building up detail; subplots, scenes, descriptions, etc. Figure out some dialog; which can advance the plot, or direct attention to something else while you hide the cards up your sleeve.

Tie it all together; and you have a novel. You may find yourself rewriting (great novels are not only written, but rewritten...;) It's a lot of work, which is why people pay for them...

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 7:39 pm

Rebecca_L wrote:
I would try to help but I didn't read the other thread, don't know how to find it, and don't know what you're thinking about in your writing. Sorry.
The thread title is "I'm Writing A Novel!:D", it's on a different page, though.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2009, 10:16 pm

How well do you know your characters? Have you written a detailed backstory for each of the major characters, such the ways their disorders have shaped their lives, their family/ cultural backgrounds, the defining experiences of their lives as well as their strengths and weaknesses, what they like and dislike doing, and how they go about escaping from the more onerous pressures of real life? This wouldn't necessarily included in the text of the story itself, but for you, in order to inform your writing. Your novel seems like it's very much character-driven, so the more you develop the characters for yourself, the easier it's likely to be to create stories for them. That might make it easier to determine the direction of the story. Of course, you may have already thought of this, in which case my advice is irrelevant and you should feel free to disregard.
It also might be interesting to have a chapter, or series of chapters in which the women share stories of experiences, positive or negative, that have to some extent determined the direction of their lives. Would some or all of these characters also be facing present day dramas which would require them to overcome, or at least come to terms with psychological scars from past traumas? What steps might each of these women take to move forward in her life, base on her personality, the nature of her disorder, her strengths and weaknesses, and likes and dislikes? What steps might these women take to support one another? Also, what sort of activities do these women enjoy doing together?
Once you have found answers to the above questions, it might be easier to proceed. Or not. These are just my humble suggestions, and I'm a little rusty in terms of writing stories for adults, as my focus in recent times has been stories for young children.
In any case, I hope I was able to help at least a little.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 10:56 pm

reclusive aspie crime detective?
haha j/k

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 11:22 pm

try something experimental!

like ALL dialogue consisting of one-word sentences! haha
or something :]

i made a decision that if i am to write a sequel to my novels, they will have to revolve entirely around non-human characters who would not use dialogue. since the protagonist has nobody to talk to, it would be an almost dialogue-less story (and i love dialogue!)
in other words, i probably will stay the hell away, but thats the rule i made for myself :]

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 11:08 pm

Autistic robot vampire zombies ....

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 8:49 am

you could write it from different characters perspectives allowing you to experiment a bit more with different writing styles all in the same book. Maybe have a main protagonist but all the story is observation by different people who know them i.e. their mother, girlfriend, librarian, work buddy, neighbour etc... Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper was very well written with this technique in my opinion and it allowed for a very good twist in the ending

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

showman616
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2009, 9:16 pm

what genre are u interested in?

Aspies gravitate to sci fi and fantasy.

Maybe you're into mysteries, or Tom Clancy type novels, or bodice rippers.

I got it- do a spoof of a Dan Brown novel!
Arcane knowledge, ancient symbols, transcontinental conspiracies.

Forget the Freemasons!
The real power behind every throne is that other secretive brotherhood- "the Sons of the Desert".
The sons of the desert were the fraternity that Laurel and Hardy belonged to.