Boy Saves Teacher, have you seen this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Polgara
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2009, 7:59 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=8836647

"I just knew what to do immediately" As soon as you hear him talk you know. AS or Autistic? Definitely.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 8:13 pm

Cool.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 8:32 pm

Yes, thanks to our Resident Reporter who posted it in the News section. :)

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 8:59 pm

Well, he's a smart kid and all, and quick thinking, but why's this national news? I mean, jeez, it wasn't national news when I kept my head after my mom crashed the car, or when my littlest sister pulled a non-swimmer friend to the side of the pool, and we're both autistic. It's a cool story, sure, but national news?!

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

polymathpoolplayer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Oct 2009, 9:26 pm

Callista wrote:
Well, he's a smart kid and all, and quick thinking, but why's this national news? I mean, jeez, it wasn't national news when I kept my head after my mom crashed the car, or when my littlest sister pulled a non-swimmer friend to the side of the pool, and we're both autistic. It's a cool story, sure, but national news?!

Well, perhaps you should have been on the news too but you have to admit it's a positive step - to not treat us all like losers who always just "take" from society. BTW I saved my ex-mother-in-law from choking in a restaurant by doing the Heimlich - in retrospect perhaps I shouldn't have :)

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2009, 11:39 pm

Callista wrote:

Actually, I like the fact that it is national news. Perhaps the people who watch it will realize that children (like my own four year old son) who are on the autism spectrum are good kids, who (often) speak well and have concern for the well being of others. It's nice to hear such a positive story about a child with autism as an integral part of his community.

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 2:44 am

Callista wrote:

Everyone says news is always bad, so once in a while they pull out a nice story to try and counter that. Good things are usually small, which by the way, in my opinion, is the reason pessimism is so strong. Stories like that are nice. As for why you weren't in the news? Luck. And you weren't in school, so probably no one told a news station.

That kid is so proud. Can't say I blame him. I like that his cub scout skills were involved. Reflects well on the scouting program.

AspieFireMan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2009, 2:45 am

I wonder how many marriage's this kid has destroyed

</sarcasm>

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:27 am

AspieFireMan wrote:
I wonder how many marriage's this kid has destroyed

</sarcasm>

:lmao:

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Oct 2009, 5:48 am

I like the bit where she says to him "tell me not to cry" and he starts to say exactly what I would say, "not to" then catches himself and gives the correct reply "don't cry". :lol:

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 9:28 am

It's a good kick in the ass to Autism Speaks, who thinks we're only capable of drooling into a cup.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 11:36 am

I just posted it on my facebook since I seem to have a couple friends who have an interest in autism.

BTW, I'm sitting here going aweeeeee over the lack of eye contact. It was so cute that he was so nervous yet so honest and sincere. Now that's the type of publicity we need. WTG ABC.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 3:55 pm

Cool. :) I'm glad this is national news, I hope this will teach people that autistic people are more capable doing things than a lot of people think. :)

SpongeBobRocksMao!

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2009, 5:37 pm

Why is this kid being deemed a hero?

Am I or anyone else any less of a hero simply because we have never been in a situation where a "heroic" act was warranted? It's ridiculousness to me.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 9:46 am

The kid is a hero because he saved a woman's life. If you do things like that, well then you are a hero too.

I promise you, if my nephew did something like that being a kid and being autistic, I probably would be calling local media at least just to get him on tv because all kids think that's cool to be on tv.

While I do personally like the headline stating how someone with autism did a good thing instead of saying "Kid started fire to parent's house, blames his autism," I do also think the true concept to blame for this child's heroic action isn't his autism as much as his experience as a cub scout. Most parents have no idea the great things boys learn in the boy scouts. It's just an extra curricular activity to them, but in reality, it's survival, first aid, etc. I don't think the girl scouts get into that as much. When my girls are old enough, I think we'll be starting our own girl scout troop where the focus is more on what the boys do.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2009, 4:08 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Why is this kid being deemed a hero?

Am I or anyone else any less of a hero simply because we have never been in a situation where a "heroic" act was warranted? It's ridiculousness to me.

He's being deemed a hero because he saved somebody's life. That's heroic. Even people who save lives as part of their job (firefighters, EW doctors) get called heroic too.

People love stories about heroic children and with good reason. It speaks to the very best part of human nature.

Perhaps this will recruit people to scouts. I have noticed that when children save lives (which often does get in the news) they do so because they have received some sort of training that taught them what to do other than panic. Sometimes it's scouts. Sometimes it's what they learned when Mr.Fireman visited the classroom and taught them about 911 and Stop Drop and Roll. But there is a common theme of lifesaving kids relying on something they were taught by an adult who probably thought they weren't paying attention.