Do you see visual snow in the dark?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 27 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 34

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:10 am

I see in the dark rather well myself (I eat a ton of vitamin A too though.)

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:12 am

Sati wrote:
I had no idea there were people who don't see it!

Maybe it's below threshold for them.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:39 am

Yes I have always assumed it was normal, I also see what looks like smoke
rings or translucent bubbles floating thought the air on bright days, or before
bad electrical storms

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 2:24 am

sometimes

though right now my bedroom never gets dark enough at night for me to notice such as my desktop computer has blue LEDs inside it and remains on all night (can't be bothered to turn it off)

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 2:38 am

No, I don't see that. I see other things in the darkness, but they are stationary.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 8:03 am

mitharatowen wrote:
I too assumed everyone did this. You mean they don't? I daresay that some people may just not notice it because they are focusing on the actual objects in the room.

If I concentrate, I can actually see this snow when the lights are on as well.

In addition, when my eyes are closed I see it or a pattern of tiny turning gear type things.

It likely has to do with the human brain's natural tendency to look for patterns in randomness.

*edit* I just read about visual noise on wikipedia and transitioned naturally to the article on Closed eye hallucination and discovered that the things I see naturally are hallucinations typically caused by drugs or meditation?? I may actually be a bigger freak than I thought :chin:

If anyone reads the article, I have achived level 4 completely on my own from day dreaming. Actually I've daydreamed with my eyes open before and the things that I see and hear completely replace the actual physical objects in my field of vision or hearing which may count as level 5 lol.

8O Wow, I thought everyone did this!

Thank you for posting that link. I have done at least level 3 since I was 4 or 5 and a boy said that closing your eyes was just like watching a movie.
I’m not sure about level 4. I daydream and I see it vividly but it’s more like I see it in my mind’s eye and retract into myself and view it there. I don’t know if that counts as level 4. I guess someone acting out on a day dream (like dreaming about turtles or Concorde and smile) must give the impression of being at level 5 even if they just see it in their head.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 12:18 am

I was under the impression that everyone could see this, it's just due to your eyes not picking up enough light. The game Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth uses it as a graphical effect, and also the game Nosferatu kind of uses it, but that's less of a "visual snow" and more of a "film grain".

Also, when there's very little light to reflect back to you, you're unable to pick up colors. We all tried it on a pitch black snowy night one time...some of us had on very brightly colored snowsuits, but the only colors we could point out were shades of gray.

I've had out of body experiences before, and those are kind of fun...everything's not only snowy, but it's all in this sort of phosphorescent blue, ambient occlusion look, kind of like the ghost ship in the first Monkey Island.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 3:57 am

I guessed this was rods (the photreceptors mostly in your peripheral vision and chiefly used in the dark) accepting a low threshold, but not so low that in the dark everything went white. I have fairly good night vision, but wonder if it could be improved beyond night training without riddick-esque surgery.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 7:14 am

If I close my eyes (at any time, not just when trying to sleep) I usually go to level 3 within a few seconds. I get a small amount of snow all over my visual field with eyes open, dark or light, I've always assumed it's normal.

The year is still young.

BlueMage
Toucan
Toucan

21 Oct 2009, 10:54 pm

When I was a little kid I saw it alot and it went away as I got older. Then after college I got into practicing stuff like lucid dreaming, meditation, astral projection etc., and now I see it all the time. It can be very extreme after wearing an eye patch over one eye for a while.

When I close my eyes, in the center of my field of vision I see purple.

I get night terrors occasionally. And/or I wake up in the middle of night and see spiders or swarms of insects.

Klint
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 3:02 am

Yes, I see visual snow in the dark, and when I close my eyes. If I look at it for too long, it will even eventually start to form shifting, moving patterns like in those illusion images scattered all over the internet. It typically starts off as a black/white fuzz, but can turn into a dark purple.

And when I'm in the light, I can often be temporarily blinded by it if I stand up to quickly. It will start off as a little speck in the center of my field of view, and quickly spread over the rest of it usually accompanied by a head rush. Though sometimes I don't even have to stand up. It can happen randomly all on it's own. But that's been getting more and more rare with me.

Also, when I stare at an object or surface with a certain pattern, even that will eventually start to look like it's morphing and changing. 8O

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 4:09 am

Dilbert wrote:
No. In fact I've never heard of it before.

I can see in the dark pretty well.
But like, if it's pitch black..you don't see any fake light or weird patterns or anything? It might happen easier if you squish your eyeballs around a little. XD;

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 4:19 am

I can't delete a post? Lame.

Last edited by wigglyspider on 22 Oct 2009, 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 4:41 am

^Hmm, so I only got to level 3 then.

wigglyspider wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
No. In fact I've never heard of it before.

I can see in the dark pretty well.
But like, if it's pitch black..you don't see any fake light or weird patterns or anything? It might happen easier if you squish your eyeballs around a little. XD;

The best patterns are often created that way.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 1:47 pm

Klint wrote:
And when I'm in the light, I can often be temporarily blinded by it if I stand up to quickly. It will start off as a little speck in the center of my field of view, and quickly spread over the rest of it usually accompanied by a head rush. Though sometimes I don't even have to stand up. It can happen randomly all on it's own. But that's been getting more and more rare with me.

That's more of a poor circulation thing.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 11:51 pm

For as long as I can remember I have seen snow in the dark, in the light... all the time.