Who here can't stand (Modern) mainstream generic music?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Musical_Genius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2009, 10:06 am

So who from the United States despises (Modern) mainstream (For Exp. Pop, Rap) music (Thinks it mainly about the cash and not for the love of making music anymore). As just imagine how hard it was to independent (For some bands/singers) in the 80s and get the publicity you deserve, just imagine how hard it is now (With most mainstream music sounding at least 80% generic or more). As also I was wondering, what are you're favorite genres, bands/singers and albums (As my favorite genres are Alternative, mainly anything good with a synthesizer or a keyboard (Industrial (EBM, not Ind. Metal, synthpop, electronic, etc.), metal, classical, soundtracks).

As here are some of my favorite musicians (Mainly Synth Music Related) I like that are on my ipod right now (Bands/Singers):

1. Access Zero
2. Aesthetic Perfection
3. a-Ha
4. Assemblage 23
5. Ayria
6. Azoic, The
7. Birthday Massacre, The
8. Church, The
9. Clan of Xymox/Xymox
10. Code 64
11. Covenant
12. Depeche Mode
13. Echo And The Bunnymen
14. Hocico
15. Imperative Reaction
16. Iris
17. I:Scintilla
18. Mesh (English Band From Bristol)
19. Numan, Gary
20. Ocean Blue, The
21. Stark, James D.
22. VAST
23. VNV Nation
24. Xentrifuge

Regards,

Jeff

P.S. I really is a shame that the indie music stores are disappearing (Though many can still be much more indie)

Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2009, 10:11 am

I agee. Most of the music I listen to has intricate parts.

A band I would reccomend is Kiss Kiss. They use alot of weird time signatures and tempo changes. Some of their stuff is kinda out there, but it's really good.

Musical_Genius
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Oct 2009, 10:19 am

How many bands, CDs/LPs do you own (As I have over 350 bands/singers on my external hard drive and probably own over 1,000 CDs)?

Regards,

Jeff

Raven
Raven

20 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm

I don't have nearly that many.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 12:52 pm

Todays music mostly suck and some good bands have also begun to suck as well like Guns n Roses and Linkin Park. It seems like most music is about innappropriate stuff(rap and hip hop) or just badly written or sung(pop). Music no longer has poetic meanings. op is just so straighgtfoward and generic that i can't take it and they all talk about the similar things and as for rap, kids listen to and sing the songs while not knowing that they are talking about some form of sex or prostitution or drugs or killing as they sing the song. Lady GaGa is the worst. she wears really erotic clothing and dances very sensually while singing about "Disco sticks". My 10 year old sister will sing her songs not knowing that she referring to innappropriate stuff as she does so. She literally runs around the house singing the verse "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick". :roll:

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 1:17 pm

I find most modern songs to be very...similar. They just all sound the same. One morning I put on a local music television channel and I watched ten music videos, counting how many of them had females in erotic positions or in skimpy clothing. They all did.

I like a quite vast range of genres. My music collection holds everything from L7, to Johnny Cash, to the Dubliners, to Scott McKenzie, to The Legend of Zelda Re-Orchestrated. It has many soundtracks from video games and television series, because those tend to be well-written and bring back memories.

Some of my favorite songs are "Country Roads" by John Denver, "Pretend We're Dead" by L7, "San Fransisco" by Scott McKenzie, "Battle Hymn of the Republic" of which I don't know the specific performer, and "We Built This City" by Jefferson Starship.

Sublyme
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2009, 3:08 pm

I don't care to listen to any mainstream music. It sounds so generic....everything sounds the same. It's like there is no more originality in music...how many of those artists even write their own music anymore? I don't like when music is overproduced and pretty much any music considered pop or top-40 just that...

I do occasionally do listen to alternative or rock stations on the radio, and even a lot of that music is overproduced, but some of it is ok. It seem like even those radio stations are disappearing at at alarming rate, and being replaced by top 40 stations...I don't know if that's a national phenomenon....or just isolated to central New Jersey...

I listen mostly to punk, hardcore, metal, ska, reggae, rockabilly, psychobilly and various combinations thereof.

Some of my favorite bands/artists are The Clash, Rancid, Operation Ivy, The Ramones, Streetlight Manifesto, Social Distortion, Mike Ness, Johnny Cash, The Cool and Deadly, Bob Marley, Toots and the Maytals, Tiger Army, Pantera, Suicidal Tendencies, Biohazard, Sepultura, The Deftones...

I usually find new music to listen to by going to local shows, and checking out indie record stores...and yes those are also disappearing here...

gnosislogicemotion
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Oct 2009, 3:28 pm

-Tool
-A Perfect Circle
-Chopin (mostly his preludes, mazurkas and nocturnes)
-Liszt (mostly the Hungarian Rhapsodies and the Transcendental Etudes)
-Pink Floyd
The occasional radiohead when Im feeling particularly :cry: :cry: :cry:

I do not tolerate pop, rap, or ULTRAMEGANOTALENTCONSTANTDOUBLEBASSDRUMMETAL. I'm very picky about what music I like and this makes me look excessively pretentious among my peers :/

The source is bright and endless.
She resuscitates the hopeless.
Without her we are lifeless satellites.&a

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 3:47 pm

^^^ Chopin and Liszt are the masters, I am looking forward to getting my 12 string electric so I can play all their music with tapping... for now I can only really do Bach on 6 strings lol.

-Prokofiev
-Wagner
-Decrepit Birth
-Old Man's Child
-Nobuo Uematsu
-Joe Hisaishi
-Joe Diorio
-Stanley Jordan
-Pat Metheny
-Necrophagist
-Cynic
-Luis D'Agostino
-Adam Fulara
-Bach
-Colin Marston
-Gorgasm
-Suffocation
-Sleep Terror
- Gentaro Satomura
-Behold... The Arctopus!
- Just add all the other romantic period composers here...
-Venetian Snares
-Aborted
-MAB
-Paul Gilbert
-Marty Friedman
-Mr. Big
-Emperor
-Dissection
-Mayhem
-Gorgoroth
-Jennifer Batten
-Andy James
-Guthrie Govan
-Miles Davis
-Muris Varajic
-Vic Baez
-Matthias IA Eklundh
-Buckethead
-Wes Montgomery
-Rusty Cooley
-Marshall Harrison
-Aeon
-Aeon Spoke
-Hate Eternal
-Cannibal Corpse
-Demilich
-Suffocation
-Outworld
-Penderecki
-Motoi Sakuraba
-Devin Townshend Band
-Strapping Young Lad
-Dysrhythmia
-Krallice
-Gordian knot
-Arsis
-Behemoth
-Les Paul
-Corpseifier
-Necrophagia
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Eric Johnson
-Nuclear Assault
-Municipal Waste
-Megadeth
-Kai Kurosawa
-Jimbo
-Primus
-Dream Theater
-Liquid Tension Experiment
-Andy McKee
-Antoine Dufuoir
-Kiko Loureiro
-Angra
-Mendelssohn
-Jigoku Otoko
-Pelican
-Watchtower
-Sun0)))
-Boris
-Gallhammer
-Shane Gibson
-Deicide
-Milan Polak
-Old Man's Child
-Bill Evans
-Jeremy Soule
-Nile
-Psycroptic
-Spawn of Possession
-Burndot
-Illogicist
-Richie Kotzen
-Jason Becker
-Cacophony

A lot of this kinda stuff, but no rap or pop.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2009, 7:25 pm

The music I prefer is either classical as in Bach and Beethoven or progressive.
Many of the songs on the radio sound as if they were stamped off an assembly line
or made with interchangeable parts.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2009, 8:53 pm

I forgot to stop listening to College radio after I graduated...;) So I've recently actually started listening to new stuff again, but stuff that's not on the Radio (heck, not even on Limewire...;) now if I could just find a cassette recorder to get it on my 15-year-old car...;)

I had 600+ albums and 300+ CDs a couple years ago, but had to sell them to pay the bills...

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 1:11 pm

I can blame alot of my most recent dislike for modern music on autotune. I can actually pin down the decline of modern music to the introduction of the program.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 2:27 pm

starygrrl wrote:
I can blame alot of my most recent dislike for modern music on autotune. I can actually pin down the decline of modern music to the introduction of the program.

What is autotune?

Like a tuner for guitar/piano/mandolin etc?

Or the program that you can use to put singers' voices in tune even if it wasn't when they sang?

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 11:54 pm

Yeah, I'm wondering, too.

As for me, I don't listen to a lot of new stuff, but I keep finding things that are new to me. I'm fairly particular. I have to have my music and earbuds in the grocery store. They are especially bad about playing the most common, overplayed tripe ever made. Songs that I have found a special place for in the searing abyss of my disapproval... like "Love Will Keep Us Together" and "Tonight I Celebrate My Love for You" and just about anything by Hall and Oates or Air Supply. Anyway, I've been picking up my songs singly for the most part. iTunes has served me well, Sadly, they don't have all the stuff I want and aren't much good for searching for new stuff.

I just looked up auto-tune... it is to correct the singer's pitch and all I can say is, it can make them have perfect pitch but it can't make them not suck. I mean, if you run Michael Bolton's voice through auto-tune, he'll hit all the notes and still sound like Michael Bolton. It really isn't doing any good there. :wink:

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Starrsy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:35 am

The likes of Lady Gaga, miley cyrus, JLS, everyone else like that ALL DESERVE TO DIE!! ! or, on a much more reasonable note, create better music.

Grime, Rap and Hip-hop FTW!! !

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:47 am

I like both indie and mainstream.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!