Who here can't stand (Modern) mainstream generic music?

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:47 am

I like both indie and mainstream.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 6:39 am

Indie FTW! I have all sorts of great non-pop bands, such as Elbow, The XX, New Order, Autechre, Squarepusher, S.O.A.D. etc. :wink:

My music collection is too large to post. :D

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 2:04 pm

In my opinion mainstream music died around the turn of the millenium. The metal, grunge and alternative around in the 90's was good. But as soon as that crappy nu metal rap-rock s**t started to emerge I decided to stop listening to the rock stations.

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:22 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
In my opinion mainstream music died around the turn of the millenium. The metal, grunge and alternative around in the 90's was good. But as soon as that crappy nu metal rap-rock sh** started to emerge I decided to stop listening to the rock stations.

As long as rap-rock knows it is not serious it is fun.

See Anthrax's "I'm the man"

;-)

You may lol.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:00 pm

I don't know what is meant by mainstream music, but I love a fair bit of pop music.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Oct 2009, 4:03 pm

Personally I think all music is mainstream.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:31 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
I don't know what is meant by mainstream music, but I love a fair bit of pop music.

Example of Mainstream: The Killers

Example of Underground or "Indie": The xx

I'm pretty sure that's a bad example, but you get what I mean?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:12 pm

I abhor Mainstream music, and have done so since the early 80's. Also, FWIW, people who respond to this thread would do well to check out the station that this links to. --You will hear stuff on WFMU that you will most likely never hear anyplace else.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 5:01 pm

I refuse to listen to anything involving Disney. In fact, Disney translates in some alien language as this:

"Flee for your life while you still can!"

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:06 pm

Musical_Genius wrote:
1. Access Zero
2. Aesthetic Perfection
3. a-Ha
4. Assemblage 23
5. Ayria
6. Azoic, The
7. Birthday Massacre, The
8. Church, The
9. Clan of Xymox/Xymox
10. Code 64
11. Covenant
12. Depeche Mode
13. Echo And The Bunnymen
14. Hocico
15. Imperative Reaction
16. Iris
17. I:Scintilla
18. Mesh (English Band From Bristol)
19. Numan, Gary
20. Ocean Blue, The
21. Stark, James D.
22. VAST
23. VNV Nation
24. Xentrifuge

What!? No Skinny Puppy?

My frame of mind on pop music is this - when I'm at a bar or a restaurant and its a place where people of completely different mindsets all come together - it seems like it's in its place. The other thing about pop - you have some of the most brilliant mastering engineers working on it, that's where whatever genius still exist in it seems to be (I barely listen to the radio anymore but I won't lie, I got bored of my cds for a minute, turned on the radio - Alpine head unit with JL components in the doors, JL W3 v2's in the back, and I couldn't turn off an Avril Lavigne song just because it was so well balanced, EQ'd, and mastered that if I ignored the meaning of the words entirely it was actually a good listen).

As for music that you can extract real meaning from - some of it you can, most of it though is a bit tired. Like yourself though I tend to go toward darker electronic (my screen name likely tells you just how much drum & bass I listen to). Still like good industrial, good trip-hop, though as time goes on I definitely don't chase aggressive sounds unless they have a lot of vision behind them. I can't get enough of music as well that has layers and layers of emotion, and its not that I'm an art snob about music, I just have to claim that this is the way I'm wired and I find the sublime/transcendental in music that really aims that way. When I can listen to a cd by an artist - rock, trip-hop, rap, drum & bass, dubstep, whatever it happens to be, and get mad chills and even tears in my eyes listening to it - that's where its at for me. That kind of electricity is something that you can't find in pop music and when you can find something that has that which sounds like it should be pop, it isn't and it never seems to catch on as such for that matter either.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 11:11 pm

Giftorcurse wrote:
I refuse to listen to anything involving Disney. In fact, Disney translates in some alien language as this:

"Flee for your life while you still can!"

This has led me to a crossroads... one of my very favorite bands is They Might Be Giants who have in recent years become Disney's darlings. They keep making theme songs for them, and their kid albums from what I can tell are supported in some way by Disney. I have the kid albums because I have kids and the little dears do not listen to Camp Rock or High School Musical or Hannah Montana, so I figure I'm lucky... They like the band I like. But it's not the same... now they're singing about electric cars and recycling. Ugh.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

RaceDrv709
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 11:35 pm

I just dislike all the hip-hop, pop, (c)rap junk on the radio. It's not my type of music. I, in no way, hate that type of music. They are just too mainstream and clog up the airwaves. I listen to anything from jazz, to various rock genres except the kind that sounds like you're transmission is bad and some new wave. I'm not much into the rap/hip-hop stuff except the early kind that actually has meaning. I am also beginning to listen to electronic music particularly Owl City. I'm hearing them on the radio quite often in San Antonio and I never get tired of hearing them.

Paddy789
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Oct 2009, 1:28 am

:lol:

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 4:19 am

Paddy789 wrote:

:lol:

LOL! :lol:

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 6:57 am

I can't stand today's mainstream music. I find it very annoying and I hate hearing it, as I walk down the sidewalk. I also can't stand to look at the kids who swear by it.

These are my favourite groups and performers:

The Kinks
The Who
The Rolling Stones
The Beatles
Eric Burden and The Animals
Jerry and The Pacemakers
Herman's Hermits
The Swinging Blue Jeans
The Knickerbokcers
Manfred Mann
The Small Faces
The Mindbenders
Billy J Kramer and The Dakotas
The Searchers
The Seekers
The Move
The British Mod Beats
The Yardbirds
Cream

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 2:42 pm

I second the Kinks and The Beatles... I can take or leave the rest. But they all stand out above the rubbish my daughter's peer group favors. I have her listening to a much wider variety of musical forms than the average tween, of course. She still tends to favor bubblegum a lot, but at least she's getting it from different decades. And she'll listen to Rush and Queen, and she loves The Beatles and the Kinks.

I feel this gives some hope for the future. :wink: