Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

NEWanderer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Oct 2009, 3:37 pm

The text can be viewed at:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/1 ... t03809.pdf

The Joint Financial Services Committee will hear this tomorrow at 11:00. I can't help but have reservations about these unfunded mandates. This bill would mandate insurers pay for anything deemed necessary by care providers for diagnosis and treatment of autism, including genetic testing, pharmaceuticals, etc. Who will protect autistic minors from unchecked power?

Cowbird

20 Oct 2009, 4:43 pm

NEWanderer wrote:
The text can be viewed at:

I can't help but have reservations about these unfunded mandates. This bill would mandate insurers pay for anything deemed necessary by care providers for diagnosis and treatment of autism, including genetic testing, pharmaceuticals, etc. Who will protect autistic minors from unchecked power?

I think it has its points. It's BS that you can have a treatable condition that your insurers can refuse to pay for. I guess what I'm asking is, what would you like to see happen instead?

NEWanderer

20 Oct 2009, 9:59 pm

Cowbird wrote:
I think it has its points. It's BS that you can have a treatable condition that your insurers can refuse to pay for. I guess what I'm asking is, what would you like to see happen instead?

I would like the genetic testing reference removed and the pharmaceutical content removed. Anything that is actually medically significant such as seizures can be addressed directly.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 3:41 am

NEWanderer wrote:
Who will protect autistic minors from unchecked power?

What unchecked power? I think you're "reading too much into" this, as I see nothing that mandates any treatment.

A similar bill just passed in Connecticut, probably full of as much wording. The general gist is that insurance can no longer deny coverage for autism-related services, as they did in the past.

Furthermore, it appears to cover only commonwealth employees (of course--screw everyone else!).

If you're concerned, contact the bill's sponsor or one of its petitioners.

FWIW, I'd never live in Massachusetts again.

NEWanderer

21 Oct 2009, 6:40 am

CTBill wrote:
What unchecked power? I think you're "reading too much into" this, as I see nothing that mandates any treatment.

A similar bill just passed in Connecticut, probably full of as much wording. The general gist is that insurance can no longer deny coverage for autism-related services, as they did in the past.

Furthermore, it appears to cover only commonwealth employees (of course--screw everyone else!).

If you're concerned, contact the bill's sponsor or one of its petitioners.

FWIW, I'd never live in Massachusetts again.

Unchecked power of psychiatrists. I didn't say that their actions were mandated by the state; but, their reimbursement would be. Some services should be denied; in fact, I think some should be fined. I suppose their could be some legitimate applications to genetic testing if it carries over to pharmacogenomics for a somewhat more cautious approach to drugging people.

The author of the bill reportedly has an Aspergian child. I found news of this bill while I was away on vacation and there was hardly enough time to mount a response to legislators. I've been through appropriations lobbying in the past--more strain than gain.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:08 pm

NEWanderer wrote:
Unchecked power of psychiatrists. I didn't say that their actions were mandated by the state; but, their reimbursement would be. Some services should be denied; in fact, I think some should be fined. I suppose their could be some legitimate applications to genetic testing if it carries over to pharmacogenomics for a somewhat more cautious approach to drugging people.

Ah, thanks for the clarifications--I understand your concerns now.

I guess it isn't possible to address every "what-if" situation in a new law, and that's why they go through so many revisions and later refinements and court proceedings. Like making sausages, it's a messy business that you'd rather not see.

Let's just hope that any abuses are identified quickly and stopped. I think Connecticut's autism coverage law was enacted just this year (and may not even be in effect yet), so it's too early to have much feedback.

NEWanderer wrote:
I've been through appropriations lobbying in the past--more strain than gain.

I've written letters to members of Congress, with the same observation. Plus, they'll reply saying they agree, then vote entirely differently.

Not sure whom I'd trust more--a psychiatrist or a politician.

MagnusArmstrong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2009, 5:25 pm

I would rather live in Mass or conn then the red headed stepchild of new england,the ocean state RI.

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 8:40 pm

MagnusArmstrong wrote:
I would rather live in Mass or conn then the red headed stepchild of new england,the ocean state RI.

Then you'll be pleased to know that I've written every governor of CT (including those formerly or currently in prison, or soon to be) advocating that we deploy our National Guard to annex RI in toto, as well as that stupid little squarish chunk of MA that juts into our northern border--WTF is that all about? I've tried to find any official explanation for it, but cannot. (Seems to be one of those geographic features that has been long since forgotten.)

And after I get those back, I shall reclaim the Ohio portion of (where I was born) and later all of the Connecticut Western Reserve in the name of the Land of Steady Habits! :twisted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticu ... rn_Reserve