Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 6:55 pm

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/torsun/09102 ... nly_school

I actually think this is a good idea, though I don't think my option is going to be popular. I think that boys don't mature as quickly as girls, and it's not fair to put two drastically different maturity groups together. I also agree with the official reason, though I worry that boys who are smarter then average and go to this school might be a little frustrated.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 7:56 pm

I went to an all-boys school. The quality of education that I received was outstanding, but it was not helpful to me socially (especially since a diagnosis of AS wasn't even on the chart when I was in school).

That being said, given my social disability, I don't know that a mixed sex school would have made a significant difference.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2009, 9:38 pm

I've got no problem with single-sex schools. It's not PC anymore for a school to only accept boys, but there are still even public schools that are girls-only.
Education does tend to be better when they're separate. Academic education, anyways. It's a toss-up in a lot of ways, but until everyone can say for sure what priorities are the right ones and that they're right for everyone (and I hope that day doesn't come anytime soon!) it's an individual choice thing.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 5:51 am

Having been to a all-boys school I can't recomend it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:58 pm

I don't think any school should be one-gender only.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:42 am

I have read studies that boys are better off going to a co-educational school but girls are better off going to a girls only school.

All in all I think that it would be better all around if boys and girls went to different high schools.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Oct 2009, 11:32 am

Yea, I don't really see the point of single sex education in public schools. Would they go back to segregating schools by race too?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 1:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I don't think any school should be one-gender only.

Why not?

Jacoby wrote:
Yea, I don't really see the point of single sex education in public schools. Would they go back to segregating schools by race too?

It's supposed to keep the focus on academics.. teens with raging hormones in classes with the opposite gender tend to get a bit distracted.
As far as I know there aren't any mandatory single-sex public high schools.. In addition the the neighborhood high schools, Philadelphia has lots of magnet schools, and Girls' High is just one of them. There's also Central (which used to be all boys, but isn't anymore) as well as a school of performing arts and one for agriculture. Seriously, city kids taking care of cows and and all that stuff. I think there may be some others, too.. They're public schools, but students have to apply and all, so they're not actually like going to city public high schools.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 4:14 pm

I don't really care what sex is in a school, maybe there should be two schools: one for kids who actually want to be there and another for kids who like to bully others.

Yeah I'm feeling a bit sore right now...

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:50 am

There are boys' only school in my hometown. Academics in these schools are far better than other co-eds. Hmm, distraction of the other sex may work against our favour... NOT.

I think more importantly, the issue here is just... be inspired by other like-minded people, as I think egregation by gender is archaic...

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 6:35 pm

When I was in middle and high school the girls were giggling idiots who did nothing but gossip and spread rumors. I think the whole "girls mature faster" thing is a myth perpetuated by radical feminists and the like.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 10:47 pm

Actually you're right, it's just that... human beings are like fruits? The faster the man gets ripe by the forces of society, the faster he will get rotten? Don't worry Man are unique, without Man there won't be the offsprings...

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 9:01 am

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
When I was in middle and high school the girls were giggling idiots who did nothing but gossip and spread rumors. I think the whole "girls mature faster" thing is a myth perpetuated by radical feminists and the like.

Girls are capable of reproducing about a year before boys.

ruveyn