Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2009, 1:04 pm

There's a lot of ignorant, stupid, aggressive people out there who want to give you a hard time either on the internet or in real life. How do you cope with difficult people? I'm scared of them but I'm training myself not to be and to ignore them.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 1:05 pm

Hurt them?

ericc
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2009, 1:11 pm

gramirez wrote:
Hurt them?

Nah, it'll make things worse. Most of the people who were difficult to be have personality disorders.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 1:46 pm

I wouldn't want to hurt anybody. I just leave it up to the person to end the friendship, after I tell them politely a few times.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 2:10 pm

Once I had a job as a ticketsalesman. I got a customer who was very angry and upset and complained about something and there was a long queue behind him
What I did to deal with the situation I simply LISTENED to the angry person and took him seriously and not personal AND had a calm manner at the same time replying very nice in return

That actually striked him back and made him calm and satisfied at the end. I could see in the faces of the others behind that I handled the situation good without freaking out myself
The key? I didnt realise he was angry before afterwards, because I was so focused on taking in all the information he gave me and respond to it....

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 3:50 pm

I just stay nice to them.

Smile, talk gently and listen without interrupting.

You don't have to get your point across - and you don't have to do what they say.

Sometimes I'll say "ok then." with no intention of doing or agreeing to something.

If the person is angry for a reason, it will usually help them calm down - and they'll respect you for it. If the person wants to be angry, then looking unfazed and happy (smiling) is better than hitting them in the face.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:22 pm

I think that sometimes it can be a simple question of ownership. Somebody else's problem is their problem and you don't have to take it on board, or take responsibility for it. Somebody else's problem isn't a reflection on you so why let it get to you and bring you down? It's not worth it.

I do realise by the way this is somewhat harder in theory than practice.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge