College student with AS MURDERED by roommate

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:44 pm

http://www.kcra.com/news/21397953/detail.html

They don't know why, and the guy ran at the cops with a knife, so they shot him. The five people in that suite apparently got along well. So go figure.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:48 pm

That was a very heinous crime. I hope Mr. Jones gets the toughest sentence possible.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 8:59 pm

Absolutely horrible, it makes my cynical side flare up. I wish the family all the best despite this horrible tragedy. I hope Mr. Jones gets a fair sentencing.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:00 pm

This is a horrendous tragedy to the parents of the slain son.

As for Mr. Jones - I hope that he gets a fair trial and a just sentence.

I am only speculating - but there might be some psychosis involved (possibly drug related or ???). To make a run at the police like that indicates that he was not in his right mind.

I would be interested in learning more as this case is investigated.

My condolences to those involved directly.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 9:36 pm

As far as mr. Jones, he is also dead. It says he was trying to attack police with a knife so they shot him.

I am confused though as to why they said they had to move the three roommates left alive to another dorm, I mean, Jones was no longer there to attack anyone.

machf
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Oct 2009, 10:47 pm

It's a crime scene, they need to keep everything intact until they're done investigating.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 11:08 pm

All i can say is DAMN. Jones would have to have snapped, coming at police with a knife, taking 2 non lethal rounds, then 3 live . . . has to be a brain tumor or something. Roman, Jones is alive, said he was hit but is stabilized . . . unless you're in the state where it happened and they have said otherwise prior to my typing this response. If he is dead, i hope they examine his brain and see if there is any physical evidence that would trigger this.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2009, 11:17 pm

PlatedDrake wrote:
All i can say is DAMN. Jones would have to have snapped, coming at police with a knife, taking 2 non lethal rounds, then 3 live . . . has to be a brain tumor or something. Roman, Jones is alive, said he was hit but is stabilized . . . unless you're in the state where it happened and they have said otherwise prior to my typing this response. If he is dead, i hope they examine his brain and see if there is any physical evidence that would trigger this.

If these shots were not lethal, how did they stop Jones from attacking police with a knife? When I read it carefully it said he was in a fair condition, so he wasn't injured either after these shots.

Also, if he is still alive, why are they saying they will never find out what motivated him to do the murder?

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 2:21 am

Roman wrote:
If these shots were not lethal, how did they stop Jones from attacking police with a knife? When I read it carefully it said he was in a fair condition, so he wasn't injured either after these shots.

"Fair condition" suggests that Jones was in fact injured, but will most likely recover after some treatment at the hospital. The article says that the police fired three (live) shots to take him down. If Jones was in better condition, people would typically write that he would be in "good condition". Good > Fair > Serious > Life-threatening

Roman wrote:
Also, if he is still alive, why are they saying they will never find out what motivated him to do the murder?

People frequently are reported to say stuff like this in news articles and public statements, stuff along the lines of "we'll never be able to make sense of this senseless act!" My personal opinion is that people use this as an excuse not to try to understand what happened. Such statement also has a tendency to make the suspect look really bad and adds drama to the news story. Not to say that the crime isn't terrible by any means, but news organizations do dramatize at least a bit for ratings and to attract listeners and readers.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 2:34 am

Since there was no evidence of drugs or alchahol, the only way this guy will not be found guilty of murder is if he suffered a mental illness, which we will never know.But if he doesnt, chances are, he will be convicted of first or second degree murder since there was intent to kill.There is a chance, based on this, that the killer might face the death penalty, in which I hope.He should be executed for what he did.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:08 am

Tory_canuck wrote:
He should be executed for what he did.

Seconded.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 9:49 am

Roman wrote:
As far as mr. Jones, he is also dead. It says he was trying to attack police with a knife so they shot him.

I am confused though as to why they said they had to move the three roommates left alive to another dorm, I mean, Jones was no longer there to attack anyone.
he is not dead, he was left in fair condition.

this is disgusting.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 10:22 am

Other than coincidence three doesn't appear to be anything in terms of motive connected to the fact the victim had AS. If anything it is pointing towards a random attack at the moment.

Regarding the victim defending himself. Knife to hand self defence is one of the hardest types, with the lowest positive outcomes. Knife to knife is difficult enough.

mitharatowen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:00 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Regarding the victim defending himself. Knife to hand self defence is one of the hardest types, with the lowest positive outcomes. Knife to knife is difficult enough.

Don't you mean bat to hand? Says he was killed with an aluminum bat.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 5:04 pm

This story is curious, although it's reported in several places, none of them have either got a supposed motive, or that Jones has a mental condition.
People don't kill people for no reason, there had to be some motive, which so far hasn't been mentioned.
If you want someone executed on the basis of a brief news report on them, you should do it yourself.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 9:12 am

http://www.sacbee.com/topstories/story/2278124.html

The suspect apparently believed that he could achieve a higher state of consciousness by taking hallucinogenic drugs. It's likely that he took something, LSD or maybe PCP, and had a psychotic break from the dope. Sometimes even LSD will cause a person to go permanently psychotic after a single hit. Bad trips are no fun. At this point it seems irrelevant that the victim had autism. Autism may have meant that he walked unwittingly into the suite even after hearing stuff breaking, and asked the suspect to stop. Sometimes we lack the cues needed to avoid bad situations, as you all know.