I hate dealing with people who speak poor English

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:18 pm

Im alright with people who speak very little english as i have done it before in customer service.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:29 pm

I'm not sure if I have this problem or not, because I feel guiltier when I don't understand someone who speaks with an accent, so it may just stick in my head more.
I went to Girl Scout camp as a kid, and we had a lot of international counselors, so I got fairly used to accents. A lot of people think I have an accent. Even when I lived in the city where I was born, people would be SURE I wasn't from the city and unsure of whether or not I was from the same country! It was very strange.
Part of it is that I kinda pick up the way others are speaking..

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:57 pm

Just last night, when my mom was ordering pizza, she had to deal with someone from India. That's outsourcing for you.

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:43 pm

yeah its difficult those moments when you talk to someone who have a strong accent of a foreign country. It sounds like they are speaking their own language but they reallly DO speak english! Its incredible embarrasing when I cant line the words out and try to smile and catch it for dear life. Im too polite with not saying I dont understand....

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:00 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I have difficulty understanding what they are saying and their cues are hard to read. But when I see normal people talking to them who don't speak their primiary language, they don't seem to have difficulty in understanding them. I wonder how they do it?

Anyone else have this same problem? Do normal people have this issue too and some are just good at understanding a word they're saying?

If you are living in the US it is possibel that you might regularly encounter poor spoken English, EVEN on the NW coffee coast :wink:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:02 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
I have difficulty understanding what they are saying and their cues are hard to read. But when I see normal people talking to them who don't speak their primiary language, they don't seem to have difficulty in understanding them. I wonder how they do it?

Anyone else have this same problem? Do normal people have this issue too and some are just good at understanding a word they're saying?

If you are living in the US it is possible that you might regularly encounter poor spoken English, EVEN on the NW coffee coast :wink:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 25 Oct 2009, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:15 am

It doesn't bother me.

If you can't get your point across with basic hand signals, you're saying too much to people, IMO.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:18 am

bdhkhsfgk wrote:
Yes, my native language is not english, and I still write it perfectly, and speak it moderately I got A+ at Advanced English last year, and I deal with people here who seem to come from places where they speak it, but can't write it better than me, maybe it's because I have no interest in words like "Lulz", "lol", "Lolwut", "Plz", and "n00b".

I've noticed that a lot of people who don't have English as their first language speak/write it beautifully; better than most native English speakers... then they apologise for their "poor English"...

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Antonius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Oct 2009, 7:50 am

Considering that I don't live in a english-speaking country, this isn't a problem at all.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:08 am

oh yeah! i can have difficulty understanding people with no accent to me, even! :P
last year, the maths teacher had a thick Korean accent, i seemed to be having FAR more difficulty than everyone else. i also have a hard time with Irish accents.
i dont think you problem is that uncommon, however, so i wouldnt worry too much.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:14 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
oh yeah! i can have difficulty understanding people with no accent to me, even! :P
last year, the maths teacher had a thick Korean accent, i seemed to be having FAR more difficulty than everyone else. i also have a hard time with Irish accents.
i dont think you problem is that uncommon, however, so i wouldnt worry too much.

I am completely lost with Singapore accents. (I like the country and the people very much)

It usually sounds like Mandarin Chinese to me EVEN when they are speaking English.

On a few occasions, the Singaporean has had to insist more than once, that he or she really is speaking English.

I am quite good with OTHER accents. :wink:

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:19 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

I am completely lost with Singapore accents. (I like the country and the people very much)

It usually sounds like Mandarin Chinese to me EVEN when they are speaking English.

On a few occasions, the Singaporean has had to insist more than once, that he or she really is speaking English.

wait, actually, she was Singaporean! my maths teacher was. that must be very embarassing, that they needed to remind you they were speaking English. :lol: :oops:

i remember in Turkish school, the children would mispronounce something in English, so i wouldnt understand, and then call me stupid when i didnt understand them. this made me very angry.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:27 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

wait, actually, she was Singaporean! my maths teacher was. that must be very embarassing, that they needed to remind you they were speaking English. :lol: :oops:

Actually it was more annoying for me because I KNEW she couldn't possibly be speaking English...........otherwise I would be able to understand it.........right?

I think if I was NT I would certainly have stopped insisting she was speaking English after the first denial........

If I had been an NT with very good social graces, I probably would (discretely) have asked the Singaporeans who were with me to 'translate'

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:54 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

Actually it was more annoying for me because I KNEW she couldn't possibly be speaking English...........otherwise I would be able to understand it.........right?

I think if I was NT I would certainly have stopped insisting she was speaking English after the first denial........

If I had been an NT with very good social graces, I probably would (discretely) have asked the Singaporeans who were with me to 'translate'

one could assume! really she should be the one to try and alter her speech in such a case. XD

oh, i thought you meant SHE was insistign she was speaking english.

why didnt you? lack of occur? :P

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 9:27 am

Lingua obscura topic

As long as people speak slowly and clearly, without mumbling, I can hear them. But I would much rather read them. lol lulz plz meh lolwut n00b ftw wtf afaIk IMO (ST*U--this one is too nasty)

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 9:31 am

I have no problem understanding accents. It's when poor pronunciation that gets me when the words "could've" and "should've" are written as "could of" and "should of" or the "I wanted to get off of" you can't have the two in a sentence like that together.

I can mimick accents very well. Australian, Irish, Welsh, Scottish. People think I am Australian or African, but they still ask, "Where are you from?" I answer then, I get "no, you're not" Whaddafuk?
I do love the "You are so well spoken" - SMUG :D