I hate dealing with people who speak poor English

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

24 Oct 2009, 2:06 am

I have difficulty understanding what they are saying and their cues are hard to read. But when I see normal people talking to them who don't speak their primiary language, they don't seem to have difficulty in understanding them. I wonder how they do it?

Anyone else have this same problem? Do normal people have this issue too and some are just good at understanding a word they're saying?

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:27 am

My mother and I have both had this problem before. When someone's accent is very heavy, it usualy is hard for people who aren't familior with such sounds to hear them. Both sides can get frustrated.

Last edited by LiendaBalla on 24 Oct 2009, 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 2:28 am

i translate words again in my head the way i get em like:pall=ball

Sati
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 3:40 am

It is very difficult for me to understand people with accents.

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 3:43 am

Definitely. Same goes for people who have thick accents. I only end up understanding part of what they say, and sometimes i can piece together what they mean and sometimes i can't.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 3:46 am

At university, I avoided my associate supervisor for the reason I could barely understand anything they said. But, also, I have been told by those whose primary language is not English that I speak it poorly.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 5:01 am

I'm the opposite, I'm actually better at processing English spoken with a non-Australian accent (I live in Australia) than English spoken in an Australian accent (which to me sounds like a lack of an accent, since I'm accustomed to hearing it).

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Henriksson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 6:40 am

Well, I'm just glad this forum is text-based communication as opposed to speech-based... :P

AMD
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Oct 2009, 6:46 am

Living in such a diverse community, it is almost unavoidable. When i look for drs for my kids, i look at their last name. If it sounds foreign, most likely they will have a thick accent. My son's neuro and dentists are both foreign which i hate! I need to know exactly what they are saying because these are my kids and it's extremely frustrating when i can't half make out what they are telling me. Those were ones i had no choice in choosing, but the others, i look for polish-like last names cause they have perfect no accent english (at least here anyway). I find myself saying "huh" a lot. I am sure it frustrates them as well.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 7:57 am

I have a beautiful accent!

LivingOutsideTheBox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2009, 8:04 am

Well the TV kinda raised me, so I can speak english better then some people who've got it as their first language.

Though my syntax is messy at times, and my accent flips from "Arrogant american" to "reserved brit" because I've used both a lot in the past.

Then one day some polish blokes come to my door, and they try to find their way to a certain housenumber.

The streets and houses are in dutch. I speak english, they speak half-english half-polish. We end up waving arms and laughing, but I couldn't much help them and they couldn't much explain.

Even with the best preparation, the human mind isn't meant to handle garbled signals. The only person who can understand when two languages are interwoven at random, is the speaker.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 11:32 am

LivingOutsideTheBox wrote:
Well the TV kinda raised me, so I can speak english better then some people who've got it as their first language.

Though my syntax is messy at times, and my accent flips from "Arrogant american" to "reserved brit" because I've used both a lot in the past.

Are you sure you're not me?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:26 pm

I can't stand it when someone can't speak even the most basic of English. It makes me feel really ret*d even though the communication problem is not mine! I've always said that only people with a clear accent should work with autistic people but apparently that doean't happen.

Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2009, 1:39 pm

I used to work at Staples, where I we often had foreign customers, and I'm currently at Purdue, which has something like 10% international enrollment. I always feel bad when I can't understand people. I do think it's interesting to talk to people from other countries. They came from the other side of the world to go to college and I came from 60 miles away.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:39 pm

Me too.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 1:54 pm

Yes, my native language is not english, and I still write it perfectly, and speak it moderately I got A+ at Advanced English last year, and I deal with people here who seem to come from places where they speak it, but can't write it better than me, maybe it's because I have no interest in words like "Lulz", "lol", "Lolwut", "Plz", and "n00b".