Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 2:07 pm

Just heard the word for the first time today on the television. The Pope was speaking out against Italians who were getting "debaptised".

It seems a growing number of people are becoming "debaptised". It is all somewhat tongue in cheek but with a serious aim. The Secular Society in the UK have been providing certificates:

Link to Secular Society Debaptism

The certficate declares:
I ________ having been subjected to the Rite of Christian Baptism in infancy (before reaching an age of consent), hereby publicly revoke any implications of that Rite and renounce the Church that carried it out. In the name of human reason, I reject all its Creeds and all other such superstition in particular, the perfidious belief that any baby needs to be cleansed by Baptism of alleged ORIGINAL SIN, and the evil power of supposed demons. I wish to be excluded henceforth from enhanced claims of church membership numbers based on past baptismal statistics used, for example, for the purpose of securing legislative privilege.”

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 3:07 pm

LOL, I've never been baptised so I guess I don't need to worry.

Sounds like the pope is desperate to own more souls...

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 3:15 pm

I suppose this is Excommunication-EZ form?...;)

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 3:39 pm

My kids were both baptised without their consent but I can't see them ever wanting to be unbaptised. We don't treat things that seriously.

For a start, we don't shove religion down their throat (although they do go to a Catholic school - more, in theory, to get a good moral grounding).

They're too unbearable in church, so we don't go - not that my wife and I ever really went before children anyway.

I talk to them about Jesus but I also talk to them about other deities too.

(ignore my spelling, religion is a personal thing - and spelling probably is too)

Allah, Buddha, Jehovah, Mohammed, Zeus (and friends), Osiris (and friends), Quetzalcoatl, Money, Special Interests, Jedi, the Internet and .... Science (and friends).

Baptism is a bit like an insurance policy but ultimately my kids are encouraged to explore within the limits of safety.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 4:09 pm

Next in line: un-circumcision.

ruveyn

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 4:18 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

:lmao:

btw: Just looked it up....

There's a Historical Piece on it that says

Quote:
The first sign of evidence for uncircumcision among the Jews can be seen in a passage of the Old Testament (I Maccabees 1: 14-15): "Whereupon they built a place of exercise at Jerusalem according to the customs of the heathen. And made themselves uncircumcised (sibi praeputia fecerunt), and forsook the holy covenant, and joined themselves to the heathen, and were sold to do mischief."4,5 This passage was written at the time of the reign of Antiochus IV (168 BC), when the hellenization of Palestine and, therefore, the oppression of the Jewish religion and culture came to a first climax.

Also... for those who are really keen... Apparently you can buy a home restoration kit - ouch.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 4:30 pm

I remember asking a guy that if god created everyone so perfect why did they have the foreskin and he said so they can have circumcison...:o

I kid you not, I asked him again and pointed out to him where his fallacy was and he still gave the same answere so that they could be circumcized..... :?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 8:38 pm

Proud to have made my own decisions about religion when I was old enough.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2009, 10:28 pm

TallyMan wrote:

Just heard the word for the first time today on the television. The Pope was speaking out against Italians who were getting "debaptised".

It seems a growing number of people are becoming "debaptised". It is all somewhat tongue in cheek but with a serious aim. The Secular Society in the UK have been providing certificates:

The certficate declares:
I ________ having been subjected to the Rite of Christian Baptism in infancy (before reaching an age of consent), hereby publicly revoke any implications of that Rite and renounce the Church that carried it out. In the name of human reason, I reject all its Creeds and all other such superstition in particular, the perfidious belief that any baby needs to be cleansed by
Baptism of alleged ORIGINAL SIN, and the evil power of supposed demons. I wish to be
excluded henceforth from enhanced claims of church membership numbers based on past
baptismal statistics used, for example, for the purpose of securing legislative
privilege.”

When will there be this certificate: "i hereby revoke all secularist indoctrination during infancy, from materialist western culture'?

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 11:53 pm

WhiskeyInTheJar wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

The certficate declares:
I ________ having been subjected to the Rite of Christian Baptism in infancy (before reaching an age of consent), hereby publicly revoke any implications of that Rite and renounce the Church that carried it out. In the name of human reason, I reject all its Creeds and all other such superstition in particular, the perfidious belief that any baby needs to be cleansed by
Baptism of alleged ORIGINAL SIN, and the evil power of supposed demons. I wish to be
excluded henceforth from enhanced claims of church membership numbers based on past
baptismal statistics used, for example, for the purpose of securing legislative
privilege.”

When will there be this certificate: "i hereby revoke all secularist indoctrination during infancy, from materialist western culture'?

Just as soon as you sign up for some free webspace, print out a load of them and begin selling them to the public.

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Our hugely popular Certificate of Debaptism (over 100,000 downloads!) is now available to buy online. Get your very own certificate, printed on quality parchment paper.

Okay, looks like they're getting rich off this scam. I've been trying to think of a way to make money similarly online, but all of the best scams have been taken.

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 6:04 pm

I was given a Catholic baptism as an infant. The certificate qualifies as a form of legal identification in the US so I kind of like it.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

27 Oct 2009, 3:12 pm

Hmm. Well, if you want to pay to do that. I do resent that the Church of England still says 'X million people in the UK are Christians' and is probably counting me as one of them. C of E is the state religion here, and probably most people over 40 in Britain were baptized C of E simply because it was 'normal' back when we were babies. But most of those probably won't enter a church ever again until they get carried in in a box. So if there were a way to legally de-register myself from it, I would - but I shouldn't have to pay to do so.

Anyway, some people will never accept it. My family insisted that I must still be C of E because I was christened, even when I'd been pagan for over twenty years. Again, back when I was christened it was more or less unheard of for anyone to change their religion when they grew up, so of course I must be incapable of doing so. This is despite the fact nobody in my family ever went or goes to church. Nuts.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 3:34 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

People already do that. They a group of men who believe that a foreskin has a function in enhancing sexual pleasure. They have surgical methods of restoring the foreskin.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2009, 4:51 pm

Jono wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

People already do that. They a group of men who believe that a foreskin has a function in enhancing sexual pleasure. They have surgical methods of restoring the foreskin.

Yes, but where does that extra skin come from? I'm sure they wouldn't take it from your calf or your butt like they do in normal skin-graft operations. It wouldn't be sensitive enough.

WhiskeyInTheJar
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2009, 7:53 am

gbollard wrote:
Jono wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

Yes, but where does that extra skin come from? I'm sure they wouldn't take it from your calf or your butt like they do in normal skin-graft operations. It wouldn't be sensitive enough.

Export possibilities for the middle east and north africa here?