Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 3:51 pm

*sigh*

Katie_WPG
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2009, 4:32 pm

I've been following the comments on the CBC website.

It's so sad that a parent who kills their "normal" child is a heartless monster, but a parent who kills a "disabled" child is just a benevolent person who either "needed more services" or "just wanted to put the child out of their misery". The double standard is disgusting. I don't even think a lot of these people realize their prejudice. And some people even have the nerve to start up the vaccine debate on that thread.

veiledexpressions
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2009, 5:36 pm

Katie_WPG wrote:
I've been following the comments on the CBC website.

It's so sad that a parent who kills their "normal" child is a heartless monster, but a parent who kills a "disabled" child is just a benevolent person who either "needed more services" or "just wanted to put the child out of their misery". The double standard is disgusting. I don't even think a lot of these people realize their prejudice. And some people even have the nerve to start up the vaccine debate on that thread.

I've noticed that as well. Children with disabilities are seen as lesser. The foster care system is especially scary for children with disabilities. I've heard so many stories of non verbal children who were tortured and murdered.

It makes me sick, but even more so because I have a daughter who is severely disabled. She is non verbal, in a wheelchair, and is completely helpless.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2009, 5:36 pm

There's no excuse for killing a fifteen-year-old boy. I don't care how depressed she was; that she was willing to kill the boy tells me she has no morals to speak of, and probably though of him as an extension of herself and not a proper human being at all.

I've been depressed. I've been suicidal. There's nothing about either of those things that makes you capable of murder if you weren't capable of murder before you became depressed. People like to think that killers are "insane" because they refuse to believe that normal human beings like themselves can do evil things; and their unwillingness to face up to that fact makes life miserable for people with all kinds of mental illness.

This is not justified. I don't care how tough it is caring for an autistic teen; it's never justified to kill them. When she killed that boy, she was saying loud and clear, "I don't want him to have any life of his own. He's mine to do with as I wish. I'm the only one that matters." It's easy to conceal narcissism like that when your neighbors all think you are a wonderful mother who plays with her boy (conveniently in public, where everyone can see you doing it) and sacrifices herself for her child... when in reality, you are getting a kick out of people looking up to you for being so self-sacrificing and wonderful and saintly.

They say autistic people lack theory of mind. I think in this case, this is a woman who apparently doesn't understand that her boy has a life of his own, doesn't think of him as any more than an extension of herself. When you think you own someone, you are likely enough to think you can kill them, too.

That's my theory, anyway.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com