They're different but okay 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
They're great 31%  31%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 42

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 2:29 am

Bataar wrote:
I'm not a fan of the Wii controls either. Not accurate enough to be relevant and can't do anything a standard controller can't do better.

Well, first, the Wiimote is the standard controller on the Wii.
Anyway, though, traditional gamepads have a really hard time pointing at the screen.

Also, Wii MotionPlus. As it happens, the accelerometer in the Wiimote i- very precise! The problem was the lack of a gyrometer, which Wii MotionPlus adds.
Yes, that's something that it should have had all along, but it wasn't included originally due to time, space, and cost.
With it, the controller provides 1:1 motion sensing. Compare the golf game in Wii Sports Resort with the one in the original.

wormsto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2009, 9:05 am

wii sucks. controls are dodgy exept for on rails shooters.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 4:20 pm

Thank you for reading the thread before posting...

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 3:21 pm

I think the consensus summed up my opinion: great for some stuff, but feels tacked on for others.

Games like Trauma Center (my favorite Wii game so far), Madworld, and No More Heroes make really good use of the Wii controls. Hell even Metroid Prime 3 used them really well. The Wii controls are PERFECT for aiming, to the point I'm sad there aren't more FPS's for the console.

But games like Twilight Princess they feel tacked on and not very necessary. Ironically first party Nintendo games have made the WORST use of the Wii controls. Mario Galaxy they were okay, but I dare you to find anybody who plays Smash Bros with the Wiimote.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

Jaejoongfangirl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 4:55 pm

jamesohgoodie wrote:
Mario Galaxy they were okay, but I dare you to find anybody who plays Smash Bros with the Wiimote.
I play Smash Bros with the Wiimote.

Buzzkill, sorry. :lol: I like the nunchuck set up because I can slouch on the sofa and have one hand on the arm rest and the other on my leg - yet still game and dominate.
But Brawl doesn't utilize the motion-sensors at all, so it really doesn't need to be a wii game, I agree.
Using the Wiimote is a lazy/comfort thing for me, not a functionally important thing. And I'm with you on the Twilight Princess thing.

X_Parasite
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 6:51 pm

Jaejoongfangirl wrote:
Brawl doesn't utilize the motion-sensors at all, so it really doesn't need to be a wii game, I agree.

Wow... Apparently, my theory was correct. Hardly anyone is even aware of the control customization.
Despite the fact that it was on the game's website before its release.
You can tell it to use the motion sensors for quick smashes, which I never use, but it's enabled. Also, I turned off Control Stick jumping and relocated it to Control Pad Down so that it's right above A.

Oh, and Brawl does need to be a Wii game! The Wii is Nintendo's current console! It's the only option! Plus, there's online play.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 4:14 pm

jamesohgoodie wrote:
I think the consensus summed up my opinion: great for some stuff, but feels tacked on for others.

I think the same can be said for the Playstation 3, though :x

I've only played non-Rock Band games on it a few times, but the times I did, the sixaxis (is that what it's called?) was terrible.

A bunch of friends and I were playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PS3, and we got to this part where you had to dodge a boss's attacks by tilting the controller in different directions...all of us died trying it, except me (I was Wolverine, and my healing factor was levelled up through the roof), and after a while of trying to dodge the attacks and failing, I accidentally dropped my controller and successfully dodged 8O So, just for the heck of it, next time I had to dodge, I just jumbled my controller around in my hands, and ended up defeating the boss ;D

A friend of mine who worked on the game said Sony wouldn't let them publish the game unless they added motion controls :cry: Sucks.

I don't know if Nintendo makes the same stipulations.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 4:28 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
jamesohgoodie wrote:

I think the same can be said for the Playstation 3, though :x

I've only played non-Rock Band games on it a few times, but the times I did, the sixaxis (is that what it's called?) was terrible.

A bunch of friends and I were playing Marvel Ultimate Alliance on PS3, and we got to this part where you had to dodge a boss's attacks by tilting the controller in different directions...all of us died trying it, except me (I was Wolverine, and my healing factor was levelled up through the roof), and after a while of trying to dodge the attacks and failing, I accidentally dropped my controller and successfully dodged 8O So, just for the heck of it, next time I had to dodge, I just jumbled my controller around in my hands, and ended up defeating the boss ;D

A friend of mine who worked on the game said Sony wouldn't let them publish the game unless they added motion controls :cry: Sucks.

I don't know if Nintendo makes the same stipulations.

Oh I know right? I felt the same way when playing MGS4. Any time I had to use the Sixaxis to do anything in that game (usually it just involved me shaking the controller up and down) I felt silly. And there was that stupid white Threat Ring they put in because Sony took out the rumble functions, only to put them back in. I'm sure after a certain point Kojima was like "to hell with it" and left it in.

I'm sure Nintendo makes SOME stipulations (particularly with ports), but I also think developers are more interested in making games that SPECIFICALLY use the Wii controls. I doubt anybody would go out of their way to make a game that uses the Sixaxis.

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net

greengeek
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2010, 8:23 pm

Driving games are better with a wheel and pedals than with the Wii Wheel because it is hard to accelerate and turn with the Wii Wheel.

Aspiewriter
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2010, 1:10 am

Well I posted how I originally felt about them; I hated them. And they're still hard to use, but it's a slow-learning process where my brain and hands have to communicate better. Anyway, I prefer regular controls over those any day.

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2010, 6:14 pm

They took me a while to get used to, but (a few moments of movements-missing-the-sensor-bar frustration aside), I really like them. The Metroid games benefit immensely from having such precise aiming abilities, for example, and I like the way you have to actually get moving to make the stuff on screen work - the first time I played the boxing game on Wii Sports, I ended up out of breath and sweating because I'd got into the spirit of thing so much, and Madworld & No More Heroes benefit immensely from all the Wiimote-waggling you have to do :)

The fact that you can switch up to the Gamecube controller helps enormously for some games (Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom would be insanely difficult if I was using the Wiimote/nunchuck combination, and insanely easy if I was just using the Wiimote by itself), but on the whole, I enjoy the controls.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2010, 12:25 am

MrSinister wrote:
...the first time I played the boxing game on Wii Sports, I ended up out of breath and sweating because I'd got into the spirit of thing so much...

Same here @_@

Funny enough, boxing prettymuch invented the Wii: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyJZpKtdzk

Ignore the description box that claims Midway sold the rights to Nintendo. There used to be a followup video where the guy claimed that he'd sue Nintendo if he could, but he knew it would just be a waste of money.

Edit: Scratch the "used to be", I found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtZysYGDLE

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 6:46 pm

I like them, I miss the mechinacs of the old gamecube controllers, but the wii is pretty good too :) I like that the controllers are easy, which makes it so my mom sometimes plays with me. She didn't like the gamecube as much.

LostInBed
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2010, 9:25 pm

not especially fond of the wimote and nunchuck... would prefer if the "classoc controller" peripheral would work completely wirelessly(ie you don't even need to plug it into the wiimote) and in the majority of games, as it has joysticks as well as the joy/direction pad on it

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2010, 2:38 pm

Well, of course the Wiimote is going to work better for certain games, as has been said enough here. But overall, I found it to be a disappointment. I was expecting something more in the realm of a simulation... recreating the motions required to actually complete the activities, such as hitting a baseball or golf ball, thus opening the door for games that give you the opportunity to do things you could not in life... fly like a bird, cast spells, conduct an orchestra (well, I can't do that in real life... I don't get to play baseball much either), not realizing from the commercials that the whole thing has but one sensor and that realistic movement can actually damage your performance. I mean, you can't actually swing the remote like a bat or you'll hit the ball at the wrong time. No, you have to hold it up in one spot and give a constipated little twitch when it comes into the zone. I'm sure many a baseball-loving kid has been let down by this on a stormy or snowy day.

To get what I want, let's face it, the system of sensors and controls would have to be more complex and sophisticated. While that suggests that Nintendo did pretty good for making it such a simple game, I'm still not terribly impressed... The remote does best turned sideways for games like Mario Bros, but there are superior controllers that do the same. The good thing about the remote, though, now that I think it over, must be said. You certainly do have more opportunity for physical movement while playing with what was once a very sedentary kind of toy. As a parent and a human with a conscience, I have to applaud them for including that.

And there's always the hope that they do what is usually done in these cases and continue to try and ramp up the product features. Maybe the Wii will become obsolete in favor of something with 360 motion. Not holding my breath, though.

Because I always contradict myself, I'll add this: The good thing about the Wii is that it has not yet successfully simulated real life well enough to supplant it. It should always be better to go out and do things for real. I never want society to reach a point where we have to be told "there is no spoon."

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2010, 2:52 pm

LostInBed wrote:
... would prefer if the "classoc controller" peripheral would work completely wirelessly...

There's a peripheral(s) that allows you to plug the Classic Controller into a GameCube port, but it costs about $20, and from what I understand, the cord isn't very long (good thing I have a GC extension cord laying around doing nothing).

Here's one: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/03/17/ ... ontroller/

There's also several different adapters that allow you to use controllers from other consoles: http://nintendo.joystiq.com/2009/05/21/ ... ontroller/

irishwhistle wrote:
To get what I want, let's face it, the system of sensors and controls would have to be more complex and sophisticated.

I believe you are referring to the Wii MotionPlus :wink: