Page 5 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 9:15 pm

Since we are all stating our opinions and beliefs on this topic of brain damage???, I want to go into detail about my birth.

My mother's side of the family has autism traits. I had a Rainman cousin who was institutionalized back in the early days of autism diagnosis. As I was nearing my birth, my mother told my father, "Something isn't right." When my mother thought contractions were starting up, they were only slight twinges and nothing more. My father rushed my mother to the hospital---a half hour away. An examination revealed that I was in distress. Mom said the nurses cranked the bed up putting my mom up on her head. She asked what was wrong and they said I was entangled in my cord and losing oxygen. Within minutes, a surgeon rushed into the room so quick that he threw his briefcase on the floor and it slid all the way across the floor hitting the far wall. Anesthesia was administered quickly and before going to sleep my mom heard the doctor say to a nurse, "The heartbeat is getting faint." Mom woke up from the C-section very groggy, and she was saying to the nurses, "My baby died." The nurses assured her I was alive. And I was alive. I was in an incubator recovering from at least 45 minutes or more of oxygen deprivation.

Mom told me later that she was afraid for me to go to school. My birth had concerned her and she was afraid that I might not be right. But I did well in school although my social skills were a concern for my teachers and parents---I preferred to be alone. I had one best friend---and one friend was enough company for me at a time. At the time I was in school I was thought of as shy and eccentric. Asperger's wasn't known about in the U.S. at this time. I was diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult.

So what causes autism? That's the million dollar question. Did my difficult birth contribute to it? Were the genetics in the family what caused it? Or was it both? I believe that the autism genes were already in me and my birth issues turned those genes "on."

We can all have our opinions---that's are right. Is autism brain damage? Well, something happens in the brain to create autism. I prefer to use the term brain modification.

I also believe many different things can cause autism. The autism spectrum is so diverse that although many of us share the same diagnosis, we are very different types of people in personality. My mother's side of the family has had some incredibly eccentric people in it. And eye contact has been an issue with many of them. Social awkwardness---oh yes. Special intense interests---yes. My uncle built different buildings to house his collections. One building held mechanically driven whittled figures that he carved. He rigged up the motors to make them move---some sawed trees, some rocked, some danced, etc. He was a mechanical and whittling genius. Socializing he didn't do. I always remember him self-absorbed on his porch. In fact, so private was he that he built his own cabin to live in away from my aunt (his wife). He built his cabin straddling a creek!! ! He liked having the water running underneath him. His son was my Rainman cousin. As a young child, this cousin was hit on the head with a book. Some thought that was what made him "strange." But according to the elders in the family, he was "strange" acting before that. Anyway, his parents stuck him in the Athens Psychiatric Hospital when he was sixteen.

I am rambling---sorry. I don't know what to think about this topic with brain damage. We all have the rights to our opinions on this touchy topic. Let's please be respectful with each other on it. Obviously thinking though---something happens to the brain.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:28 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, Glider18, but if you feel someone isn't being respectful, please specify who it is. And also be specific on what exactly you think is disrespectful, in your estimation.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 9:33 pm

Meadow wrote:
I don't know what you're talking about, Glider18, but if you feel someone isn't being respectful, please specify who it is. And also be specific on what exactly you think is disrespectful, in your estimation.

I am not implying anything Meadow---I am referring to my quote, "We can all have our opinions---that's our right. Is autism brain damage? Well, something happens in the brain to create autism. I prefer to use the term brain modification." Not everyone may agree with my term of "modification." I just want to imply my respect for other people's terms, and be respected for mine.

What did you think I meant???

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:39 pm

glider18 wrote:
Meadow wrote:

I am not implying anything Meadow---I am referring to my quote, "We can all have our opinions---that's are right. Is autism brain damage? Well, something happens in the brain to create autism. I prefer to use the term brain modification." Not everyone may agree with my term of "modification." I just want to imply my respect for other people's terms, and be respected for mine.

It seems to be an ongoing theme. Apparently, you feel people are not being respectful, in almost every one of your posts. So I'm asking you to be specific when you feel someone isn't being respectful so they can at least know who you're referring to, and of course why.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 9:45 pm

Meadow wrote:
glider18 wrote:
Meadow wrote:

I am not implying anything Meadow---I am referring to my quote, "We can all have our opinions---that's are right. Is autism brain damage? Well, something happens in the brain to create autism. I prefer to use the term brain modification." Not everyone may agree with my term of "modification." I just want to imply my respect for other people's terms, and be respected for mine.

It seems to be an ongoing theme. Apparently, you feel people are not being respectful, in almost every one of your posts. So I'm asking you to be specific when you feel someone isn't being respectful so they can at least know who you're referring to, and of course why.

Oh really. Show me those posts Meadow. Ask people around here if I am respectful to them. Sorry if I try to have a positive attitude and promote respect. I also promote autism with gifts, positive thinking, etc. I was not even referring to you.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:54 pm

Thanks for sharing, Glider. I was born 2 months early and spent several weeks in an incubator - at the time, there was a lot of concern about the way my CNS would develop... I don't feel able to speculate on it, the AS was unofficially identified by a professional, but I decided against pursuing a diagnosis - I guess the source of my differences could be related to the way I was born...

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 9:55 pm

glider18 wrote:
Meadow wrote:
glider18 wrote:
Meadow wrote:

Oh really. Show me those posts Meadow. Ask people around here if I am respectful to them. Sorry if I try to have a positive attitude and promote respect. I also promote autism with gifts, positive thinking, etc. I was not even referring to you.

That wasn't the question. You are nearly constantly suggesting that others are being disrespectful in your manner of thinking. Produce who you feel this is true with. Stop suggesting in almost all your posts that others are being disrespectful unless you can list the person you have issue with, and what the issue is, precisely.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Glider. I was born 2 months early and spent several weeks in an incubator - at the time, there was a lot of concern about the way my CNS would develop... I don't feel able to speculate on it, the AS was unofficially identified by a professional, but I decided against pursuing a diagnosis - I guess the source of my differences could be related to the way I was born...

You're welcome Sallamandrina. The early births seem to be something that many experts believe can contribute to autism. My father was born premature, and although he is very social, he has some unusual traits---don't think they are autistic traits though. He can also calculate large multiplication problems in his head faster than others can do it on a calculator. As for not pursuing a diagnosis, I believe that is perfectly fine and up to the individual to decide.

I find it very interesting to read in certain sources that at least 50% of us with autism had an issue either before or during birth.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 10:03 pm

Meadow, I treat people with respect around here. If you have a problem with me, please take it up with a moderator. I am not responding to anymore of your posts on this because I am innocent in the matter. I told you I was implying my use of the term "brain modification," not referring to anyone in particular. Others use other terms and I stress respect for our different thoughts on this. It is a touchy subject considering this is under a thread suggesting brain damage.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm

Premature births are very common in my father's side of the family and AS traits are also present - and it is indeed a family full of eccentrics :lol: Most of them were rather proud of their quirks too - I always liked that...

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm

glider18 wrote:
Meadow, I treat people with respect around here. If you have a problem with me, please take it up with a moderator. I am not responding to anymore of your posts on this because I am innocent in the matter. I told you I was implying my use of the term "brain modification," not referring to anyone in particular. Others use other terms and I stress respect for our different thoughts on this. It is a touchy subject considering this is under a thread suggesting brain damage.

I have nothing to take up with a moderator. You are making innuendos all the time with your constant issue around "respect". If you do it around me, I'm going to ask you specifically if you have an issue of any type so it can be spoken about directly and not alluded to constantly. Be direct. That's how you solve problems.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm

Hi Sallamandria. Something I think you should do is to keep a journal of all of your eccentric family members. Take a look at their traits and record them in it. This could be interesting for you. After my diagnosis, I listed my family members and began making notes of their eccentricities---and wow, it was like, "I never realized it was so obvious." It is quite a learning experience to do this. I find it interesting with all the premature births you mention. I have heard a theory on this. Some think the premature birth could cause the autism, while another theory believes the baby is already autistic and does not know how to be born correctly.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Very interesting, indeed. I had the same "aha" moment when I've read my grandfather's diary - I was 7 when he died and didn't know him well. I can also see a lot of similarities in others, including my father. Unfortunately, sometimes other rather extreme circumstances were involved (like another mental illness or unusual and violent events) and there are a lot grey areas... But writing things down will definitely be of use.

My parents always thought that whatever was "wrong" with me was caused by the early birth. It was obvious that as a baby I perceived the environment as very hostile - I didn't cried either. But since I've learned to read at 4 by myself and did very well in school (plus at that time autism carried a stronger stigma), they just left it at that - which I'm sure was better in some ways.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 10:28 pm

I said I wasn't going to respond anymore to you Meadow on this. But something needs to be said.

I declined to answer a request from a member a couple days ago because of you. I had talked to you and commented how much I liked your avatar---so I remembered you because of the avatar. I declined this member because I saw the member being rude toward you in a post made earlier. If there is anything to be said about respect, it was that I respected you in those posts.

I don't attack people or put hidden messages in my posts. I am sincere and respect the members of the WrongPlanet. And that is something I feel confident those who I post with would agree on. I am known for adhering to positive outlooks and maintaining the belief that autism has the potential to yield gifts if we accept them. And I believe in respect for all.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Sep 2010, 10:32 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
Very interesting, indeed. I had the same "aha" moment when I've read my grandfather's diary - I was 7 when he died and didn't know him well. I can also see a lot of similarities in others, including my father. Unfortunately, sometimes other rather extreme circumstances were involved (like another mental illness or unusual and violent events) and there are a lot grey areas... But writing things down will definitely be of use.

My parents always thought that whatever was "wrong" with me was caused by the early birth. It was obvious that as a baby I perceived the environment as very hostile - I didn't cried either. But since I've learned to read at 4 by myself and did very well in school (plus at that time autism carried a stronger stigma), they just left it at that - which I'm sure was better in some ways.

I don't know how I perceived the environment Sallamandrina. I do remember feeling awkward around groups of people. Even at a very young age I can remember feeling awkward around larger groups. As for crying, I have heard that many autistic babies did not cry. I will have to ask Mom about me and crying. Four is a young age to read by, I didn't read well until I was in school.

Meadow
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 10:37 pm

glider18 wrote:
I said I wasn't going to respond anymore to you Meadow on this. But something needs to be said.

I declined to answer a request from a member a couple days ago because of you. I had talked to you and commented how much I liked your avatar---so I remembered you because of the avatar. I declined this member because I saw the member being rude toward you in a post made earlier. If there is anything to be said about respect, it was that I respected you in those posts.

I don't attack people or put hidden messages in my posts. I am sincere and respect the members of the WrongPlanet. And that is something I feel confident those who I post with would agree on. I am known for adhering to positive outlooks and maintaining the belief that autism has the potential to yield gifts if we accept them. And I believe in respect for all.

I don't wish to talk with you either, quite honestly. I don't sit in judgment of others or make myself superior to anyone. If someone bothers me, sometimes I will let them know. If you construe something as disrespectful, it is you construing it as such.