Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

progressiverocker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2009, 4:13 pm

Cowbird wrote:
The nature of Asperger's is about overfocused attention on the things you are interested in, and NO attention on anything else. It also makes it hard to filter out extraneous noise and unimportant information. This kind of mess is all part of the syndrome. A diagnosis of Asperger's rules out a diagnosis of ADD for this reason -- you can't diagnose ADD if something else accounts for the symptoms better, and Asperger's easily meets that criterion.

This is interesting, so part of Aspergers is (short version) the inability to focus attention on two things at the same time?

I don't understand....

I'm so focused on A that B is drowned out
I'm focused on A but B is making it hard for me to focus on A thus I cannot focus at all - distraction.

On one hand, that leads me to believe AS means your easily distracted, while on the other hand... Oblivious?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:02 pm

AmberEyes wrote:
SINsister wrote:
You didn't offend me in the least! :)

I understand completely where you're coming from; I often lose sight of the fact that I'm communicating with "real" people as well, and not just text on a screen. It's daunting, isn't it?

It's often the same with me and books.

I see text written on a printed page stating an opinion.

I sometimes forget that there is actually a person behind that opinion who exists in real life beyond the page.

All I seem to see sometimes is a disembodied piece of knowledge written down between two covers, especially with non-fiction works.

This is why I always thought (perhaps mistakenly) that books were intended to be read alone and the experience kept private, rather than discussed openly. When I think about books and text, I have a mental image of people studying silently in a library reading text, not talking to each other.

I find text much less daunting than talking to people face to face.
I'd be quite quiet in public.
Text also allows time to prepare a response and redraft.
Social situations are much less forgiving and you have to have your answer spontaneously ready.

The act of reading a book may be solitary, but appreciation and understanding can be communal. Which is why there are book discussion clubs.

ruveyn