Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 6:10 pm

i dont know how to explain this...so i will give an example.

Someone says something sarcastic to me. my first instinct is to respond non-sarcastically. then it occurs to me: "was that sarcastic?" Followed by a brief internal debate. Then I will decide to reply non-sarcastically, in case it wasn't sarcastic, or because that- a serious answer- seems more natural for me.

Are you like that? Or is the sarcasm completely invisible to you?

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2009, 7:20 pm

When the sarcasm is obvious I can recognize it. By that I mean that what the person says has to be the extreme opposite of what is true. But the less difference between what they say and what is true the harder it is to understand if someone is using sarcasm.

Kaysea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 7:58 pm

I would say that I experience something on that order. Also, it does help to have some background information on the company at hand - as per "does this person have an history of making sarcastic quips?".

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:01 pm

I generally get sarcasm - it is only with total straight-faced humor that I get confused - but I generally respond seriously just in case, because I've had misunderstandings before.

Uhura
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2009, 8:03 pm

Kaysea wrote:
I would say that I experience something on that order. Also, it does help to have some background information on the company at hand - as per "does this person have an history of making sarcastic quips?".

I do that with people who talk loud. They always sound angry so I'm asking myself things like: Does this person always talk loud? Is the room crowded or are they calling from another side of a room? I have to use more than just the tone of and volume of people's voices or they sound mad.

Sarcasm is just hard. I know of no way of making it easier, although knowing the people does help.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

29 Oct 2009, 8:50 pm

Sarcasm comes naturally to me. It is used heavily by everyone in my family so I quickly learned to sense it.

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

29 Oct 2009, 9:20 pm

I can get sarcasm. I have gotten better at it. It's easier online though than in real life. It's the choice of words I go by. Sometimes I am not sure if someone was or not.

I use sarcasm to get my point across or to point something out. This morning I said at work "Am I really that fun to watch?" because the co workers said they were watching me. I mean seriously I think they have something better to do than watching me like I am an animal in a cage so I asked them if I was that fun to watch. Yeah I was expecting an answer to that question when I said it. So was that still sarcasm I used, I am not sure.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:53 am

I usually get sarcasm very well. For the rare times I don't, I can almost always act like I was continuing the sarcasm.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:07 am

I hate sarcasm except when used wittingly and as a response to ignorant illogical fools.

That being said, I cannot easily detect sarcasm unless it is blazingly obvious and exaggerated.

If someone uses sarcasm at me and I don't know it is sarcasm, I will take his/her statement literally.
If I do know it is sarcasm, I will deliberately take the statement literally, as a joke. I usually enjoy seeing peoples' reactions when their jokes/sarcams fail. :lol:

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:48 am

CleverKitten wrote:
I hate sarcasm except when used wittingly and as a response to ignorant illogical fools.

That being said, I cannot easily detect sarcasm unless it is blazingly obvious and exaggerated.

If someone uses sarcasm at me and I don't know it is sarcasm, I will take his/her statement literally.
If I do know it is sarcasm, I will deliberately take the statement literally, as a joke. I usually enjoy seeing peoples' reactions when their jokes/sarcams fail. :lol:

that's true :lol:

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:59 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
i dont know how to explain this...so i will give an example.

Someone says something sarcastic to me. my first instinct is to respond non-sarcastically. then it occurs to me: "was that sarcastic?" Followed by a brief internal debate. Then I will decide to reply non-sarcastically, in case it wasn't sarcastic, or because that- a serious answer- seems more natural for me.

Are you like that? Or is the sarcasm completely invisible to you?

I'm like that NOW, as of one month ago, so you are way ahead of me.

I always answer rhetorical questions and take things literally too but I am working on it.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:20 am

i do get sarcasm, as well, but it's with people i know well, or if it is over the top with a clear expression. your like that, too? or is it all the time you dont get it?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:36 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
i do get sarcasm, as well, but it's with people i know well, or if it is over the top with a clear expression. your like that, too? or is it all the time you dont get it?

I can sometimes pick it up with people I know; I have started to count to 5 before answering now when I am not sure.

The weird thing is that I use sarcasm and irony all the time and yet, if someone says some back to me, 10 seconds later, it doesnt occur to me that they might be doing the same.

Yesterday in the gym, I was telling my friend about yet another 'Asperger's moment' when he questioned whether it was really possible to be a member of Mensa and have Alzheimers.

You guessed, I started to correct him and remind him it is Asperger's and..............I stopped myself before I had gotten out half a sentence.

It was a proud moment for me and yes.............he said it with a completely blank expression............

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 30 Oct 2009, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:46 am

Why yes I am. However, it's actualy not nessisary to reply with sarcasum if you get sarcasum. Reply with a joke if you get a joke, maybe. I don't get jokes till someone tells me, or hours uppon hours pass, normaly.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:10 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

I can sometimes pick it up with people I know; I have started to count to 5 before answering now when I am not sure.

The weird thing is that I use sarcasm and irony all the time and yet, if someone says some back to me, 10 seconds later, it doesnt occur to me that they might be doing the same.

Yesterday in the gym, I was telling my friend about yet another 'Asperger's moment' when he questioned whether it was really possible to be a member of Mensa and have Alzheimers.

You guessed, I started to correct him and remind him it is Asperger's and..............I stopped myself before I had gotten out half a sentence.

It was a proud moment for me and yes.............he said it with a completely blank expression............

*confused look* was he being sarcastic...or just not funny? or was he serious?

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:14 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:

*confused look* was he being sarcastic...or just not funny? or was he serious?

He was being funny. He's English and they are very good at making jokes without smiling; they call it 'dead pan' or 'dry humour'

He laughed his **s off when he realised I had seen the joke.