Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:14 am

Spazzergasm wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
Spazzergasm wrote:
i do get sarcasm, as well, but it's with people i know well, or if it is over the top with a clear expression. your like that, too? or is it all the time you dont get it?

I can sometimes pick it up with people I know; I have started to count to 5 before answering now when I am not sure.

The weird thing is that I use sarcasm and irony all the time and yet, if someone says some back to me, 10 seconds later, it doesnt occur to me that they might be doing the same.

Yesterday in the gym, I was telling my friend about yet another 'Asperger's moment' when he questioned whether it was really possible to be a member of Mensa and have Alzheimers.

You guessed, I started to correct him and remind him it is Asperger's and..............I stopped myself before I had gotten out half a sentence.

It was a proud moment for me and yes.............he said it with a completely blank expression............

*confused look* was he being sarcastic...or just not funny? or was he serious?

He was being funny. He's English and they are very good at making jokes without smiling; they call it 'dead pan' or 'dry humour'

He laughed his **s off when he realised I had seen the joke.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:17 am

I'll get it from time to time, but if the person isnt grinning (my only way to tell if something they said is funny) then i'll be lost (i often assume sarcasm is used like a joke, and expect folks to be laughing). Oddly, i will be sarcastic, but its more serious.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:19 am

Blindspot149 wrote:

He was being funny. He's English and they are very good at making jokes without smiling; they call it 'dead pan' or 'dry humour'

He laughed his **s off when he realised I had seen the joke.

i guess i'm just a numpty. i still dont see what's funny about his joke... :oops: