Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:20 pm

Anyone else like Red Dwarf? I have all eight series on DVD. I also got 97% for an online quiz on the subject.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 8:27 pm

Which Kryten do you prefer?...

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

29 Oct 2009, 8:28 pm

Everything up to series 6. They seemed to be running out of ideas by then. Best episode? Queeg, Series 2.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 9:14 pm

Keith wrote:
Which Kryten do you prefer?...

I love the original Kryten episode with David Ross (Ross is also the guy who played Talkie Toaster in White Hole BTW). Queeg also has me in stitches whenever I watch it. The first two series with Norman Lovett as Holly are definitely the funniest overall.

Robert Llewellyn is brilliant all the same, though.

Last edited by EnglishInvader on 29 Oct 2009, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2009, 9:15 pm

I was wondering when a Red Dwarf topic would come up. Been watching this series since I was a kid.
My favorite episode has to be Quarantine, simply because of Rimmer's insanity with the companionship of Mr. Flibble (he's very cross...). Second is Queeg, when Lister is forced to eat his dinner of a pea and toast.
Series 1-6 are the best, 7-8 and Back to Earth were not as great.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2009, 10:17 pm

I love Red Dwarf! There's another thread about it in here somewhere because I remember posting about Back to Earth. I really hope they do the new series. The episodes have been commissioned so hopefully everything will work out and we'll get some new RD soon. I know a lot of people think it dropped in quality after series 6, but I like them all and I thought Back to Earth was really good. Although it did make me have to sit through the rather boring Blade Runner to understand all the references. Now that I'm thinking about it I might actually go watch it right now. :lol:

I've watched so much Red Dwarf this year. I had to watch it all leading up to the new episodes and then I decided to watch it all with commentary, and then my friend finally decided he wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I started watching it again with him. But it's so good that I'll never get sick of it.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Oct 2009, 11:23 pm

Aah, Red Dwarf... yup, I'm definitely on the right planet now! :D

Got the lot downloaded, I must confess... and I haven't seen all of them quite yet, because I don't have enough bandwidth to get them off my Dad's server at home... but I'm getting there! Need my RD fix soon...

I thought Back to Earth was pretty cool! Read a lot of people on the internet (but not on WP, surprise surprise) saying it was a disappointment, but I really enjoyed it! :)

I'm in New Zealand, though, where they've only just started showing the first series on the UKTV channel... anyone from the UK who's a bit more up to date who can say if they're doing anything else? Seemed to me like they left room for more with the whole "Kachansky's still alive" thing...

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 12:29 am

Aietra wrote:
anyone from the UK who's a bit more up to date who can say if they're doing anything else? Seemed to me like they left room for more with the whole "Kachansky's still alive" thing...

Well I'm not from the UK but like I said in my post above, scripts for a new series have been commissioned.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Oct 2009, 1:18 am

I like Back to Earth too, despite me saying it's not as good as the early seasons. It was great to see the original cast still at it after ten years. Even downloaded it as well, that's how much I thought it was worth keeping. I hope they can make more soon...

And Blade Runner's one of my favorite films. They gave too many references in Back to Earth but I still thought it was hilarious.

Last edited by Maddino87 on 30 Oct 2009, 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 1:24 am

Just bought a copy of Back to Earth on eBay. Haven't actually seen it yet :lol: .

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 3:00 am

I haven't seen that show in years.

It was mind-numbing, but funny at the same time. I really could identify with Rimmer....failure at everything no matter how hard he tried. Yeah, the character was utterly lampooned, but that's what took something otherwise horrifying and tragic and makes it funny.

Heck, I'm hoping to have the presence of mind to make "gazpacho soup" the last thing I utter before I die. :lol:

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:54 am

SamwiseGamgee wrote:
I love Red Dwarf! There's another thread about it in here somewhere because I remember posting about Back to Earth. I really hope they do the new series. The episodes have been commissioned so hopefully everything will work out and we'll get some new RD soon. I know a lot of people think it dropped in quality after series 6, but I like them all and I thought Back to Earth was really good. Although it did make me have to sit through the rather boring Blade Runner to understand all the references.

:o Blade Runner is the greatest! :o

I like Red Dwarf too. I read the book before I ever saw the series, and I loved it. Along with Hitchhikers Guide it was one of the only books I ever read as a teenager. I just love the idea of being the only human being for light years in either direction, floating through space - even if it does mean sharing a ship with a cat/man hybrid and an obnoxious hologram.

It was a favourite show with the geeks at my school. Not that I was a geek; I was even less popular. 8)

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:30 am

No Red Dwarf thread would be complete without the following links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MRf7DrWsBk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-CG6gCr ... re=related

JamesTheCat
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2009, 12:47 pm

Yay!! ! Togue Tied is one of my favourite bits in the whole show. Absolutely love Red Dwarf!

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 1:20 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
I really could identify with Rimmer....failure at everything no matter how hard he tried. Yeah, the character was utterly lampooned, but that's what took something otherwise horrifying and tragic and makes it funny.

Heck, I'm hoping to have the presence of mind to make "gazpacho soup" the last thing I utter before I die. :lol:

I also really relate to Rimmer, though I made sure not to tell my friend that when he started watching RD. He's a combination of Cat and Lister and sometimes he and I get along about as well as Rimmer and those two. But I like to think I hide my Rimmer-ness well enough that he wouldn't notice the similarities.

That would be hilarious in a morbid kind of way if you used gazpacho soup as your last words. :lol:

skysaw wrote:
:o Blade Runner is the greatest! :o

So I've heard, but I've watched it 1.5 times and it's just so slow and nothing really happens. With all the praise it gets I'm sure I'm missing something and I'm going to watch it again sometime because I really wanted to like it. Also there are so many versions and I couldn't get a straight answer as to which to watch so maybe I watched the worst one, but I still don't know how it could have been much better just with a few edits.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 5:36 am

Red Dwarf is one of my favourite shows,

Tongue Tied is one of my favourite bits.
My favourite ep is Gunmen of the Apocolypse

Back to Earth won't be available on DVD in Australia until 17.12.09.