Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Susie123
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Nov 2009, 3:12 pm

AJY wrote:
Quote:
...but I am perplexed by his ability to instantaneously turn on a dime from a crazed husband to the seetest thing, like nothing happened a second ago. It's baffling.

I did the same thing when I was with my starter wife. It is hard to explain, but here's my attempt of self-analysis: First, the anger or the "crazy" episode is only a skin-deep. And, I'm almost certain it's not even directed at you, but rather at his own inability to handle the situation. I could even venture to speculate that Aspies cannot really experience a deep anger that lasts longer than a typical attention span of a few minutes. Just like many of the other emotions, expression of anger sometimes is just a result of a logical analysis that anger should be the appropriate normal response in the actual context. Secondly, based on my experience, 25 seconds into the meltdown, some logical reasoning kicks in and concludes that the whole thing is stupid, there is really nothing to be angry about, I probably look retaded if I continue and I should go back into my normal sweet "pretend NT". There is also guilt that you were offended for no reason and a desire to rectify the situation as quickly as possible.

What's missing is the understanding that your feelings and expectations are very different. Not only you can't stop being angry and hurt in a flash because you're truly upset at the full NT strength, you can't really imagine how it's possible for him to do so. My ex-wife would just say that I was a drama a-hole who didn't care about her feelings. I believe the opposite is true. When I decided to end one of the outbursts by storming out of the room and coming back in a few hours with and angry expression, she was no longer perplexed. I was no longer acting like an a-hole, I was a real a-hole.

Talk to him, you probably need to understand one another better.

So interesting to hear it from the inside out. Just today I called him a drama king. Thank you for your post. It helps me understand.

Susie123

01 Nov 2009, 3:16 pm

FeralAspie wrote:
Susie123 wrote:
That's the part he doesn't get. He thinks it's me. our child, or that it's "natural" to do whatever it is he is doing at the moment given whatever the circumstances are. He is unbelievably forgiving of himself.

I know in my past that's how I would have been as well. Admitting I was wrong was something I just didn't do, even if deep down it was obvious to me.

I know there are some good books out there on Aspie / NT relationships - perhaps it would be a good idea to get a hold of some of these and for you to both read them. Have him understand that maybe there are areas you can both improve upon to help with your communication, take it on as a joint project to read and discuss what's in the books. Perhaps when you can articulate that you feel similar to a woman in an example case study he may start to understand more. It gives more weight to your feelings and opinions - it is harder for him to write them off when they are backed up by authoritative sources. Just remember to take this sort of thing on as a joint project to help you each understand each other better - don't put any fault on him when asking him to read it.

Good idea, and thank you for the further insight as to what may be going on inside of him.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2009, 3:27 pm

Aurore, had illustrated the point I was going to make in that, Autistic Spetrum Disorders often carry many other conditions which, can overall be difficult to not only manage from the person with Aspergers as such but, trying to cope and understand from the perspective of friends,family members,spouses of said persons with Aspergers..I'll admit I've been dealing with Depression & Anxiety now for almost 22yrs of my life but, this struggle has not kept me from trying to help others understand me as a person though..Hopefully, it can be said all people Neuro-Typical or Aspie carries his/her own difficulties in life regardless of the nature of such yet, trying to put a solid effort into learning and gaining a better knowledge of both worlds from each individual helps to lessen the chaos in life..

In closing I've learned a great deal from people around me as, many people whom work alongside me have come to a better understanding of my habits,quirks,strengths, & weaknesses whereby, I feel a better insight into the people in which I share the world with.

Mxzysptlik
Raven
Raven

07 Jul 2012, 7:34 am

After a severe change in my environment, my recognition of racism, my autistic tendencies became severe. Suddenly, I lived in a world where people were racist and some not racist and I could not determine which ones they were. I'm also bisexual and I live in a world where people are not accepting of bisexuality. It makes things hard to understand so I've turned to Calculus, mathematics, as a method of understanding the chaos in the world. My coping strategy was to avoid racism and discussions about such topics at any cost. I could literally fabricate an entire world of my own making, it was cool for a sec but I guess I had to "grow up" and accept that lots of people suck. It's hard to accept that I will never truly understand the world because of my condition, but I'm happy to add whatever I can to the world. Maybe I can uncover some new theory or idea as it pertains to my chosen field of study. I know this wasn't the question, but overall I love having Aspergers/Autism. It's made me a different kind of person, and I'm happy to live in a world where people are different. It would be pretty boring if I woke up and everyone was like me.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 12:26 pm

For me, my Aspie tendencies were always there, but as I got older, it was easier to suppress or hide them. Now, however, I have noticed an increase in stimming behaviors, though these are still not terribly obvious stims. The obvious ones I reserve for the privacy of my home, and they have also increased, though not to the extent of the "public stims." Because of this, I would have to say that there is a possibility of reverting to a "more autistic" self, especially in times of uncertainty, stress or when someone is no longer easily able to hide the symptoms/behavioral patterns. Perhaps a visit to his doctor can help shed light on his tendencies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 1:00 pm

Mine has gotten more mild over time.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Practice makes perfect so in some senses I've adapted, in others I've geared my life so I won't be challenged in those areas (eg sports), but in social skills I've declined tremendously from childhood to now, a constant, painful decline.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 3:41 pm

I have better skills at running errands and being independent.These still exhaust me but freedom to manage my own affairs makes it worth it.I have stopped trying to socialize,I had more energy to attempt it when younger.I do what I am able to do and no more.I save my energy for the important things such as buying food for my animals and myself,vet trips,doctor trips and gardening.I most definitely isolate myself more as I have aged.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2012, 4:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I have better skills at running errands and being independent.These still exhaust me but freedom to manage my own affairs makes it worth it.I have stopped trying to socialize,I had more energy to attempt it when younger.I do what I am able to do and no more.I save my energy for the important things such as buying food for my animals and myself,vet trips,doctor trips and gardening.I most definitely isolate myself more as I have aged.

I could've written that post almost word by word... :-)