Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 6:07 am

I advance through the galaxy with a massive fleet of capital ships and heavy cruisers, crushing all of my enemies in their feeble attempts to defend themselves. I set up powerful starbases orbiting planets where they don't fight to the death, but annihilate entire planets of those who oppose me. These are the Sins of a Solar Empire....

Does anybody really think that kids are actually going to do this after playing for a few weeks on a game of SoaSE?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 7:28 am

SoaSE = Sins of a Solar Empire?? It took me a while to get that, I hate abbreviations like that.

If you think about it. The video game is an advanced version of the classic board game. If you want to get really technical and without going so far in depth, you could say Chess is evil. A fight to destroy your opponent...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 7:41 am

Keith wrote:
SoaSE = Sins of a Solar Empire?? It took me a while to get that, I hate abbreviations like that.

If you think about it. The video game is an advanced version of the classic board game. If you want to get really technical and without going so far in depth, you could say Chess is evil. A fight to destroy your opponent...

Regicide at that, another form of *gasp* assassination!

Chess is my favorite board game actually.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 8:18 am

Odd topic as it gets discussed often.

I am bothered by some video games because the violence is over the top, but I find violent video games a way to release energy in a controlled environment.

Can they give ideas to people? Yes. Will those people act on them? Only if they are already inclined to so do.

I do not believe there is any credibility that a violent video game will take a normal person and turn them into a deranged killer.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:35 am

Violent video games probably lessen violence more than they increase it. It's very satisfactory after a bad day at work to pick up a shotgun and blow the hell out of hundreds of zombies in L4D. Does that mean I'm going to do it to people at work? No. Would be I more inclined to do it at work if I hadn't released the frustration on the zombies instead? Yes, but I still wouldn't do it.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:39 pm

and that proves the title how?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:43 pm

Eggman wrote:
and that proves the title how?

My intent is not to prove the title. The title is sarcastic.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 9:46 pm

Good work