Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:10 am

There seems to be so many spiders active this time of year for some reason. You'd think they'd all be dead or dying from the cold but there are those fine cobwebs that are at face level that you can't see that you walk into. And I just had a small one on me just now that I had to shoo away. Actually, truth be told, I crushed it. It was an accident. :cry:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 10:30 am

Could it be attached to the lifecycle of the spiders. I never specificly looked it up, but it could coincide; a)mating, b) hatching, or c) hatchlings maturing. I don't realy know, I think they are interesting, but I still have a fear of them.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 11:51 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Could it be attached to the lifecycle of the spiders. I never specificly looked it up, but it could coincide; a)mating, b) hatching, or c) hatchlings maturing. I don't realy know, I think they are interesting, but I still have a fear of them.

Actually spider egg sacs hatch in the spring in North America. --THat being said, the increased spider activity may be the last burst of energy, (Laying eggs, etc) before they die.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm

Well I haven't looked at there life cycle to the seasons before. The only thing I am going off in terms of the egg sacs hatching is the cartoon Charlots Web which I havent seen in some time.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 12:26 pm

There's been a lot of big, fast ones in the bathroom lately :x

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2009, 12:28 pm

I'm terrified of spiders, sometimes to the point where I scream and cry when I encounter a scary looking one. I guess that doesn't answer your question, but I have been noticing more spiders lately. Trying to get inside, away from the cold, perhaps?

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2009, 12:32 pm

Yes, I agree---a lot more spider activity right now. In the cafeteria of the school where I teach the gifted, I saw a huge wolf spider earlier this week. And around buildings there are a lot more cobwebs.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2009, 10:47 pm

some are even radio-active..ouch!

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

03 Nov 2009, 4:45 pm

I hate spiders, but I havent noticed many about this past month, which is a good thing. But it regularly drops below 5 degrees C in england so they are probably dead, which is good as I couldent open my window becasue a whole family of spiders had decided to live in my airvent;(

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 7:53 pm

Warmer conditions mean the spiders will survive longer towards winter, especially as their food is surviving too. They predicted this would happen.

Spazzergasm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 8:54 pm

EW i hate them. i think there are more active because they know i hate them.

Ebonwinter
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:24 am

I don't mind spiders but I must say I love a good looking web by my window. They are very interesting creatures having developed many different ways to hunt and live from the classic web to the more interesting specimens using webbing to live underwater by storing air bubbles

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 2:57 am

Inside or outside? I think they come inside this time of year because it's warmer inside. Also, the garden spiders seem to be at their maximum fatness right now. XD So maybe that means it's the end of their life cycle. Maybe now they'll lay eggs and die.

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2009, 3:55 am

I long for the day when spiders are merely passive...

Actually, I don't mind spiders.

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

CowboyFromHell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 10:38 am

I've got plenty of webs in my apartment, I had the bug control people out here last week. Mostly other spiders, but I've got a few black widows here too. I don't know how I put up with it for so long, but I've got a web right inside this desk. I only recently bought my first broom, they're so expensive. I'm gonna get rid of the webs that remain after the pest pesterers had came.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 2:04 pm

My home could sure use more spiders. The gnats, tiny bettles and corpse eating... er things are annoying to no end. (and we had the exterminator over to) Usualy spiders follow their food. sigh.