College Internship Program with students with AS

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

kayjust
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2004, 2:20 pm

Just passing along this interesting bit of info...

The following information is about one program recently developed for
students with AS/HFA. Our Spring conferences and support meetings
give you the opportunity to hear about and meet parents and
professionals who have experience with other programs and will
generously share their knowledge. Take advantage of all our resources.

College Internship Program at The Brevard Center, Melbourne, FL, for
students with AS and NLD This came from Gary Shaw of the Brevard
Center.
Dear Colleague, I would like to make you aware of the web site for
our new program for students with Asperger Syndrome. The College
Internship Program at The Brevard Center, Melbourne, Florida, is a
post secondary program for students with Asperger Syndrome and Non-
Verbal Learning Differences. Detailed information can be found at
www.brevardcenter.org
<http://www.brevardcenter.org>

Dr. Michael McManmon developed the program out of a need he saw when
working with Asperger Syndrome students who attend The College
Internship Program at The Berkshire Center, Lee, Massachusetts
(www.berkshirecenter.org <http://www.berkshirecenter.org> ). Dr.
McManmon went to the Asperger Syndrome experts to ask for their
advice on how to create the most comprehensive post-secondary program
available for students with Asperger Syndrome and Non-Verbal Learning
Differences. I think you will find the site informative and the list
of experts on the Advisory Board impressive.

If you have a student in mind to discuss or refer, please give me a
call at 1-866-603-1900. We have space for 3 - 4 more students.

focused
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2004, 2:15 am

Alot of great things happen in Brevard County! I used to live there when I was younger. Nothing like a night time launch. I am 28 and still a student. I am going to try to transfer to GA Tech within the next year. My Asperger's social traits have made college difficult. When I read the above I wonder if a similar program when I was 18 would have helped. There were many days when I did not go to school because I did want to deal with the social pressures. I got some bad grades due to my poor attendance. Now that I can handle the social aspects I will depend on my current professors pulling some strings to get me into GA Tech. I think I may start a thread about "How or If an aspie should inform a professor of their condition?" Maybe Tech already has a program? I am sure that there are already many Aspies there.

NanoTy
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2004, 11:09 am

I am 18 and a student at Georgia Tech who will be starting this fall. I know that a number of students at Tech have AS, and the faculty is willing to provide accomodations. Last summer, I participated in a pre-college program at the University of Florida called the Student Science Training Program that was very beneficial for me. It is a seven week residential program where you get to work as a research assistant in a lab for a professor and their grad students. I was able to work in the Materials Science & Engineering department, which is what I plan to study at Georgia Tech.

focused

05 Jul 2004, 12:51 pm

Thanks for the Good News! I am torn between the fight against cancer and electrical engineering. I would love to fight cancer but I am naturally attracted to electrons, I guess I have a positive charge. I probably will choose electrical engineering, I rationalize the less noble decision by thinking that it is impossible to cure cancer without transistors. The pursuit of technological progress is also noble, despite what Mary Shelley writes. Feel free to email me at [email protected]. If you get bored, not likely, down at Tech then I can try to entertain you. It can be hard to find your way around Atlanta, the best places are kept secret. Word of mouth is the best way to find something to do. Please keep in touch via email as would like to now about your experiences at Tech. I have been to Houston and seen it's Universities and I am a bit surprised to learn of a Texan leaving the state to come to GA Tech and would like to know more. Congatulations on your acceptance. I don't like to use profanity but going to GA Tech is a Big F---ing deal!

NanoTy
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2004, 1:13 pm

Texas has some good universities, but they are seriously overcrowded. The University of Texas and Texas A&M each have more than 40,000 students. I also have relatives living in the area and my dad is alumni of Georgia Tech. A good number from Texas go to Georgia Tech, and I have a friend who is also going there (we unexpectedly picked the same college). Its engineering program is a major draw. As for biomedical or electrical engineering, I'd say that the definite route would be biomedical engineering, as its so new of a field that there isn't as much competition in the workforce as there is with electrical engineering. I plan on going into nanotechnology, by the way.