Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

anxiety25
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 12:43 pm

I get to talking with people from time to time, mostly my boyfriend. I don't mind him asking questions and discussing things about autism... but often I feel like I'm being interrogated to some extent.

I like that he is eager to find out things, that he can even think of questions to ask me, that he takes an active interest in how I think and all... but sometimes, it makes me a lot more aware of myself than I like to be. I feel like I become "our" science project, in a way, because I start getting more curious about myself, or there is just so much attention focused on me and so much explaining of things that it just doesn't... feel right. I don't feel quite human. It gets worse when he starts exclaiming things like, "I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I just find this fascinating!"

Does anyone else ever get this?

"I enjoyed the meetings, too. It was like having friends." -Luna Lovegood

progressiverocker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Nov 2009, 1:18 pm

Yes. When people talk about my eating habits especially. I don't blame anyone for being intrigued. I'm intrigued by myself sometimes!

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 2:07 pm

I think I get how that can make you feel. I hate that sense of being interrogated, too - like someone's trying to pry open the top of my head and peer down inside just to see what's going on in there. 8O

It feels intrusive, not only because its frankly none of their business, but because I feel they would only judge me harshly and cruelly for thinking, believing or feeling things that don't fit their own template for the way the world should be. Either to criticize or ridicule, generally seems to be the whole point. :oops:

Still, its nice that you have someone who truly wants to understand. :D

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 4:30 am

Science is cool.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 6:51 am

Yes! I want to build a breeder reactor for my back-yard (I don't have a basement). That way I could generate my own electricity.

ruveyn

jimybhoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2009, 7:46 am

i feel like an experiment like maybe an alien experiment - can you imagine if they were all around us as aspies but we can't see em and they cause certain situations in our life to see how we react ! !! i sometimes feel like that - crazy i know !

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 10:42 am

Sometimes I feel this way. But a little attention can be a nice thing; I'd rather my current boyfriend show interest in me and my weird habits than still be with my ex who didn't notice or care (not sure which).

I was afraid that once the novelty wore off, he would lose interest, but so far this hasn't been the case.

Don't be afraid to tease your boyfriend back and tell him (jokingly) that you're not his science project; just don't get too serious about it . You could also study a few of his quirks too; I doubt he's got none at all.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 11:44 am

I have always known that I am a Science project because I have always known that I am different.

Now I know why I am different and understand why I am a Science project.

Feelings don't come into it for me, it is just a fact.

It's Asperger's :shrug:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:36 pm

I am my own science project. And it is fascinating. :) Too bad I have a sample size of one. This is why we study psychology and sociology and anthropology... we can only ever have a sample size of one when our experiments revolve around directly studying people's inner worlds.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

j0sh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:47 pm

I duno... Most people I know don't know enough about AS to understand it rnough to ask me questions. Not that stops me from trying to explain it to them. Them just kinda give an "uh hu" or "that's interesting" response.

Sadly, the docotr that servers as the prescription vendor at the office I go to isn't much better. She doesn't understand why a diagnosis confirming that you have AS is necessary to the patient with AS. She's just kinds "you're doing great, see there's nothing wrong, want some brain medication?". Luckily the psychologist has better theory of mind and understands why.

Svengalis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2009, 11:04 pm

You're an Aspie; therefore you are a bit of an oddity. My advice: be thankful that your boyfriend is curious and respects you enough to ask questions. I understand feeling like a science experiment, but the fact that he is interested in learning more about what makes you unique speaks volumes about his open-mindedness and trust in your relationship. That's something worth protecting. :)