Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 5:33 pm

I made a topic about not liking the idea of getting into technology (since that is not an interest I like) (Although I surf WP and play videogames doesn't make me want to pursue a career in computers or videogames) I use it as a hobby but how about those that have a special interest in it? Is it basic stuff or did you go for a degree in X computer or whatever field and what are you doing exactly in technology? (BTW someone mention they'd post in a topic like this so enjoy fellow technology lovers!! !! !

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 6:05 pm

I'm an autistic science fan. YES

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2009, 11:53 pm

I worked it, good money in computer repair from twenty years ago, till five years ago, now I say buy a new one. I never wanted to design them, but nothing beats the use.

I like staying almost up to date, a few years behind is cheap, but I watch for developments that fit what I do.

Lots has changed since my younger years, but not Science, Mechanics, they still work the same. It gives background to keep going, I may not design, or program, but I can replace an EPROM, and figure out that is what is needed.

I see a plateau since good Laserjets, 2002, Windows XP, where function has little left to reach for, but application has a long way to go. It is tremendous power for cheap, and it fits my recluse life.

The old 386 chip made CNC, laser engravers, cutters, and next generation is going for a Startrek Replicator. The screen is replacing books, newspapers, magazines, and small shops. The web brings the world's best to me, and lets me market to the world.

How I survived without Goggle, Wiki, I wonder.

Next step, personalized lifetime education, and web hunting personal assistants.

Concept and Content are the human part that will last. Robotic factories running lights out production work for me, I never wanted a factory job, but can use my designs made up by the hundreds, or thousands, on demand.

I don't have to adapt to this change, I have been reading science fiction since the fifties. I am usually ten years ahead of what is possible.

It is a new world.

Mapler
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Nov 2009, 12:46 am

Aside from using the computer all day, no, I'm not into technology. I don't even have a cell phone. I heard those things can multitask with features like internet, text msg, mp3 player, movies, etc. Who do I call though? I don't need a cell phone.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 4:27 am

I can say yes. More science than tecnology.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 6:53 am

Yes. I am more into understanding how the technology works than building stuff in my work-room. I do not have good hand-eye co-ordination so handy work is not my thing. But I love to figure out have various machines and devices work. I also like to think up some devices, but my lack of manual skill makes implementation difficult.

ruveyn

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 11:56 am

I use technology a lot, I like what it can do for me and I enjoy studying it and adapting it to my needs. I'm in constant danger of ending up doing nothing else but mess with technology, but I'm also strongly aware that I would be making a bad mistake if I went that way 100%. So I try to keep an artistic dimension to it, which often gets obscured by the geeky side, especially if I'm going through an anxious or depressive phase. I guess that's just a natural attempt to get away from my emotions until they're more enjoyable.

Vyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 12:02 pm

I love many many subjects of science and technology and study them habitually. I hardly have enough time in a day to do the studying, working, gaming, reading and sleeping I need. As soon as I get out though I'm definitely going to go back to school, but I have no idea what I'm going to major in. There are just too many subjects of too much interest.

Maybe I should major in biology and research the aging theories to discover how to stop it just so I have time to major in everything else I want to study.

I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity flourish.

ALacount
Toucan
Toucan

04 Nov 2009, 1:16 pm

I used to hate computers, they always did the exact opposite of what I wanted lol. But then I learnt a bit, and then some more, and then alot! Now I love all things technology, and my computer skills are among the best in my year, if not the second best. (I have an AS friend who is brilliant)

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Nov 2009, 1:53 pm

I love computers, but, however, my primary interest is in nanotech.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 2:55 pm

Technology helps me learn, communicate and stay connected with my friends, and has also provided me with a successful internet career. I have been teleworking for over ten years and earned more $$ than most people my age. I love being a geek and it has brought me into a global family of other people like me. I also love being creative and I am about to start using the net to sell my work.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 3:14 pm

Any specific types of technology you're interested in?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 1:58 am

While I don't know anything about things such as programming or fixing computers, I am obsessed with technology. I love computer/ video games and have seen the progression of graphics for 26 years and I find it absolutely amazing. I mean 26 years ago, the best graphics were on the exciting Atari. Wow! High tech! Now, games such as Modern Warfare 2 (coming out on November 10th, can't wait!! !! !! !! !) it plays like a movie!! Crysis (and soon Crysis 2 in 2010 or 2011) is near photorealistic graphics. What is another 26 years going to bring? 3D technology is also progressing both in games and movies. I love tech and its saved me many times from terrible depressions. Lots of times I want to live just to see how far tech will go, even though I don't have the intellectual capability to understand how the actual tech works (or in computers, it doesn't work!). My brother knows all about programming but he is not Aspergers or autistic.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 2:55 am

My dad was an electronic engineer, so I grew up with a soldering iron in my hand. There was a wonderful series I recall in Practical Electronics which went through the basics of logic circuits. Coming out of school, IBM taught me Fortran but it wasn't till the mid-seventies after I'd dropped out a second time that I learned commercial programming. I've been doing it ever since - well, not all commercial, but all programming - pursuing the programmers dream ("a pile of undifferentiated software - you look at it sideways and it becomes whatever you want"). So, I know technology. I'm just not sure if I like it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:55 am

peterd wrote:
There was a wonderful series I recall in Practical Electronics which went through the basics of logic circuits.

I remember Practical Electronics very well 8)
That's where I learned how to use transistors...."integrated circuits" (now known as "chips") were just starting to appear in those days. I made my first drum machine from circuits published in Practical Electronics :P

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 1:37 am

I am of the machine