Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Grace09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2009, 12:01 am

He's in HS? My sister has a son with ADD and depression. He was having a hard time in school and now he goes to an online high school for his core classes and goes to the local high school for extracurriculars. I mean there are lots of alternatives nowadays. I knew a family where the mom was homeschooling all the kids but they also took extracurriculars at the local public school. Maybe he could do something like that? My stepson was failing at his new school but they offered him afterschool tutoring which seems to be doing the trick.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 11:01 am

I've been thinking about homeschooling/online high school, supplemented by extracuricular activities, but the issue is that I have a full time job I have to keep, and I'm not sure my son is mature enough to stay home all day by himself and focus himself on school without an authority figure directing him. I really wish this were an option because I think it would be in his best interest. I just can't see how to make it work.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2009, 11:50 am

Call your schoolbord and see whats out there for him there might things your not aware of that would work for him. There are what they call cybor cafe schools they are comprized of a small group of kids that all work on pc's in the same room with a few floating teachers that are there to keep the kids on task and answer questions. The girl I know that goes to one loves the independce and is thriving there. There might be something like this or some other alt school that would work better for your son.