"How creepy? Like Asperger's Creepy?"

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 2:34 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Normal = socially normal

Socially normal people have an ingrained/innate "detection system" that interprets how someone appears by their nonverbal and verbal body language without conscious thought. Enter an ASD, and you have someone who "spoofs" this "detection system" by providing unreadable data.

You take one person with an ASD and have a dozen people try to interpret how said person with an ASD is feeling, and how does the person look to them, and you'll get various answers, like creepy, sad, serious, scary, etcetera and etcetera.

They can't help doing this like how "we" can't help how we are [for the most part].

Without conscious thought? Really? :?

IMForeman
Raven
Raven

05 Nov 2009, 8:23 am

buryuntime wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:
Normal = socially normal

Socially normal people have an ingrained/innate "detection system" that interprets how someone appears by their nonverbal and verbal body language without conscious thought. Enter an ASD, and you have someone who "spoofs" this "detection system" by providing unreadable data.

You take one person with an ASD and have a dozen people try to interpret how said person with an ASD is feeling, and how does the person look to them, and you'll get various answers, like creepy, sad, serious, scary, etcetera and etcetera.

They can't help doing this like how "we" can't help how we are [for the most part].

Without conscious thought? Really? :?

Yeah I think so. It's just that easy for them to decode body language. They don't have to think about it.

For me, the scariest NTs are the ones who define themselves with the word "normal". "Why don't you do this like "normal people" [ie. ME]" for example.

Self righteous I believe is the term.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 3:09 pm

I keep seeing this topic, and I keep getting provoked by the "Asperger's creepy" line--especially in the context of it being creepier than the the creepiness being exhibited by the subject of the discussion.

I don't know what I would do, in the same circumstances. I work in an environment with a zero-tolerance approach to harassment and issues that create hostile workplace environments. I sit on our department's diversity committee (and intend to put neurodiversity on the table!). So I think I would be relatively free from this.

Out in public, I would find it *very* difficult to confront this sort of thing. (sigh)

ColdBlooded
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 4:24 am

If i heard something like that i'm pretty sure that i would have jumped into the conversation, regardless of who the people were, and said "what do you mean by "asperger's creepy"?" or something. That's the kind of thing where if i hear someone say something about it, i just HAVE to butt into the conversation without bothering to think it through. Of course, if it weren't for me butting into conversation i wouldn't even "socialize" nearly as much as i do, heh.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 6:52 am

No, I don't randomly just bring it up to people, but as I've mentioned here before, most of my co-workers know...and often times I even mention it jokingly. Hell, my bosses know...and no, they're not gonna can me; they can't...they need me.

I also tell people I'm very close to, but that's about it.

Otherwise I mostly keep to myself. I'm a major target, and pretty much the ultimate target, but hey..whatever. That's life.

Do I really care to let others know that I'm Autistic? Would it really, honestly do any good?

sure..I plan to mention it years down the line when I'm a very successful businessman; but I want my career to precede me beforehand.

Yeah, I don't need "understanding"; the human race doesn't "understand"...it just learns to tolerate.

One of the main points of most humanity is one-upmanship.

As the Nostalgia Critic once even sang "my c*ck's bigger than your c*ck, my c*ck's twice the size that yours is...."

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2009, 1:30 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
[If you asked people if it's reasonable to assume that beautiful people are good and ugly people are bad, most would say no. BUT all you have to do is look at the culture to see that appearance biases that convey that very message exist everywhere. It seems to me, people are just hardwired and conditioned to behave in specific ways that aren't necessarily determined by rationality. :?

It starts in childhood. I didn't have to really think about this until my daughter got to fairytale age. Then it struck me in a way that it never did when I was at the fairtytale appreciation age myself. In standard fairytales- whether you go to Disney adaptions or back to the originals- good is also goodlooking and mean on the inside is ugly on the outside. Think of Cinderella and the ugly stepsisters or Snow White and what a drop dead (hehe) beauty she is. The exceptions work to prove the rule. When a prince is enchanted into (temporary) ugliness (Beauty and the Beast, Princess and the Frog) so that a princess learns to appreciate his inner being, he reverts to his true handsome self at the end of the story. And she of course is uniformly hot. It's as though it's impossible for a good person to be anything other than goodlooking unless a witch puts a spell on them. It happens outside of fairytales too. Good people are goodlooking. Bad people are ugly. This is pounded into childrens' heads via stories.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 2:07 am

GoonSquad wrote:
GoatOnFire wrote:

I think we need more education rather than awareness. All awareness does is get ignorant asshats to misunderstand it and then ridicule it.

Dude NT=ignorant asshat and all the education in the world will never change that... The sooner you grasp that concept, the better off you'll be.

Another NT basher... Only about 98% of them are like that. Try to find someone in the other 2%. Even most ASers I've met suck. It's just that the overwhelming majority of people in general suck.

Danielismyname wrote:
Normal = socially normal

Fair enough, most people I've encountered are like that.

I've never been called creepy to my face. I get the feeling some people think I am, though. But maybe I'm misreading them, I'm horrible at reading people.

I probably wouldn't say anything, but if I was holding in a fart, and the lady who coined the term 'asperger's creepy' was near then I would not feel like it would be a high priority to hold it in.

chtucker18
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 9:58 am

I look down a lot and people don't read me accurately. People find me creepy. I get made fun of about this a lot. I stare at attractive women.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Nov 2009, 11:45 am

Usually it is men, not women, who are called creepy.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 11:48 am

anxiety25 wrote:
NT boyfriend says... well, it's just too ironic that it would be something randomly said like that. He said he really doesn't get why she would say that, but wonders if she could tell something was different about you and was just trying to get a reaction of some sort out of you, or to see what you would say. Like maybe she was trying to get that kind of response verbally of, "what was that supposed to mean?"

This is the kind of thing that can really drive an Aspie crazy. My advice is to not think about it, forget about it and focus on other, more important things. Do not sit there and think what could this mean ? is this some sort of innuendo a covert dig at me? That can really drive you crazy, make you paranoid, zap your confidence and drive, maybe even lead to a depression. Best to just forget she said it that is, if it doesn't comes up again, unless you want to create your own headache.
Whatever you do, don't analyze it too much and reach false conclusions about
"what could it mean".

Quote:
Other than that, he really can't think of any reason at all besides just insane coincidence that she would happen to say that around you, specifically referring to Asperger's as a "type" of creepy. He says it's just a bizarre thing to say in general... that would be like randomly saying things like "that's wheelchair creepy", or "that's neck brace creepy".

Then, he said, there are also a lot of really strange people online portraying Asperger's, as well, so maybe in the past she had a friend and got a bunch of bad/poor information or read about all the serial killers who others claim were Aspie or something...

Who knows what she meant? It's irrelevant anyway. What matters most is remaining confident and not getting rattled over this kind of comment. There's always going to be some knucklehead who has to insult something they know about you in a subtle, insensitive way, when you are around, so you don't know what, exactly, they are talking about. That's why you should dismiss this kind of thing as petty. If they do it over and over and it becomes more blatant, you can say something to them about it.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2009, 10:31 pm

A 15 time violent belt whipping would've put that b**ch in place :twisted: :lol:

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 12:54 am

Don't say anything.

-Pythagoras

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:17 am

Normal is what everyone else is and you are not

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:32 am

Eggman wrote:

Thinking that everyone is unlike you is not normal.

-Pythagoras

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:47 am

Magnus wrote:
Eggman wrote:

Thinking that everyone is unlike you is not normal.

1. everyone is unlike me..unless I have clones
2. You missed the point entirley/

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 3:53 am

There is a common denominator. To think that you have no common denominator with anyone is illogical and very, very likely untrue. Healthy people can identify with others to some extent.

-Pythagoras