Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 5:26 pm

Well, I know I haven't been on the forums that long.

I have finally just got my first paying job! I work for a friend who owns his own seamless gutter business. I hang gutters with him. It's not my first choice in jobs, but it defiantly isn't a bad one. I'm overly happy about it since he's very understanding and notices I do mess up and am a bit clumsy and I forgot some stuff because my mind just isn't there always. But he makes up jokes to make me feel better about my shortcomings. :D

I haven't told him about my AS, but I'm sure he suspects something since I don't talk much, and if I do, it has nothing to do with what he was just talking to me about.

But yeah, first paying job since I started looking at 15.5 years old.

I've been volunteering since i was 12 at my local churches youth ministry as a sound/video tech for them so I do have a decent work ethic.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:48 pm

Congratulations!

Now, my advice is to take the job medium serious. Give yourself permission to be a human being, to be uniquely yourself, and to make mistakes. That's part of it. Just be open to recovering from mistakes in a matter-of-fact and straightforward way.

I recently have gotten a seasonal job at a department store, and I use different things for inspiration, one of the recent ones being, 'How good is your B game?' Just like an athlete, you might not always have your A game, so . . . how good is your B game? Often that's good enough. And if the situation requires an upsurge of energy, I can probably get into it (and probably is good enough!). I'll just try and help people out as the situation calls for.

And even with a friend, perhaps especially with a friend, make a real point to get there 5 to 10 minutes early.

All the best! And please keep us informed.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 9:49 pm

Nice going there, Audio! You will get a lot of good experience with a variety of things while hanging rain gutters, so just keep doing the stuff you are learning to do ... and do not be afraid to ask questions! Your boss will see you can do things well after getting a bit of practice, and he will not mind helping you gain plenty of experience as long as you remain willing and teachable. That is how I got started in hanging siding for a while many years ago, and now it is nice to be able to step back and admire a job done well!

asplint
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2009, 2:50 pm

Hello Audiophile,

First off - congratulations! You must be very proud, and you should be.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer and leejosepho have given some very good advice: take the job (mainly) seriously, learn from your mistakes, be very open to correction, come a bit early each day and take pride in a job well done.

Good luck to you Audiophile!

http://www.asplint.com

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Nov 2009, 7:39 pm

asplint wrote:
Hello Audiophile,

First off - congratulations! You must be very proud, and you should be.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer and leejosepho have given some very good advice: take the job (mainly) seriously, learn from your mistakes, be very open to correction, come a bit early each day and take pride in a job well done.

Good luck to you Audiophile!

Yeah I have been, since he lives a little under a mile away, he picks me up in the morning. I don't like it because I absoutely love to drive, but he wants to, so at least I don't have to put gas in the car right now(haven't gotten paid yet, just started this past Monday 11/2/09)

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 2:11 am

Gratz!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 7:02 am

Congrats!! !

I may have found a job myself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Daniella
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2009, 10:19 am

Congratulations, first steps towards independence have been made :)