45% for Obama, 49% Against If Election Were Held Right Now

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2009, 8:02 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/rasmussen/20091103/pl_rasmussen/futureelection20091103
Americans are a little less enthusiastic about the presidential candidacy of Barack Obama this time around.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 45% of adults say they would be at least somewhat likely to vote for Obama if he was up for reelection right now. Forty-nine percent (49%) say they would be unlikely to vote for the president's reelection.

Thirty-four percent (34%) would be very likely to support Obama, while 40% say they would be not at all likely to do so.

The question did not specify whom the president would be running against and also was asked of all adults as opposed to just likely voters. Obama carried 53% of the vote nationally over Republican candidate John McCain's 46% in last November's election.

As in that contest, women are more supportive of Obama than men. Adults 18 to 29 are more likely to vote for the president than those who are older. Ninety percent (90%) of African-Americans say they would be at least somewhat likely to vote for Obama, compared to 36% of whites.

Among adults not affiliated with either major political party, those not at all likely to vote for the president's reelection outnumber by two-to-one those who would be very likely to support him.

Forty-two percent (42%) of all Americans rate the job Obama has been doing as president as good or excellent. Thirty-seven percent (37%) say he is doing a poor job.

Obama's overall job approval rating in the Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll based on responses from likely voters - fell below 50% for the first time in July. A month-by-month review of the president's ratings shows that they held steady in August and September before declining slightly last month.

The higher degree of skepticism about the president may be due in part to the finding that 48% of Americans say they are doing worse economically since Obama's election. Just 16% say they are doing better, while 32% say they're doing about the same.

Fifty-five percent (55%) of men say they are doing worse economically, but just 41% of women say the same. Seventy-two percent (72%) of Republicans and 53% of unaffiliateds say they're doing worse, while a plurality (45%) of Democrats say things are about the same.

Just one-in-three (33%) voters say the United States is heading in the right direction, while 62% believe it is heading down the wrong track.

Thirty-seven percent (37%) of adults believe Obama's election has had a positive influence on race relations. Thirty percent (30%) say his election has had a negative influence, and 26% say it's had no impact on race relations.

Most blacks (52%) say Obama's election has been good for race relations. Whites are more narrowly divided on the question.

Americans give mixed notices to First Lady Michelle Obama, too. Thirty-three percent (33%) say they have a more favorable impression of her since the election, but 26% say that impression is less favorable now. Another 33% say their impression is about the same now as it was then.

In a survey in early September, 59% of voters expressed a favorable opinion of Mrs. Obama, including 39% whose view of her is very favorable. Thirty-two percent (32%) viewed her unfavorably, with 16% very unfavorable toward her, the highest finding in the latter category to date.

Just 14% of voters say Hillary Clinton would be doing a worse job as president than Obama if she had won last year's Democratic presidential nomination. Twenty-seven percent (27%) think Clinton would be doing a better job as president while 49% say she would be performing about the same.

Voters have consistently expressed unhappiness with the bailouts of the auto and financial industries pushed by the president and many of his other government-driven initiatives. Questions linger about the effectiveness of the $787-billion economic stimulus plan proposed by the president and passed by Congress in February.

Just 42% now support the health care reform plan proposed by Obama and congressional Democrats.

For the first time in recent years, voters trust Republicans more than Democrats on all 10 key electoral issues regularly tracked by Rasmussen Reports. Republican congressional candidates also remain ahead of Democrats in the latest edition of the Generic Congressional Ballot.

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it's free) or follow us on Twitter or Facebook. Let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

This national telephone survey of 1,000 Adults was conducted by Rasmussen Reports October 27-28, 2009. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence (see methodology).

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2009, 8:48 pm

Given the same choices, I would vote for Obama again. I am disappointed that he backed down on many of the 'core' issues he built his campaign on. He will go down in history as being the 1st black President, but unless he grows some balls.. he will not have a 2nd term.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

04 Nov 2009, 9:03 pm

Well I didn't support him last election(granted I was just too young to vote this time around but I intend to do so next time) so my opinion never really changed.

As for do I think he'll win in 2012? I think statistically it's likely just being the incumbent. There is really no strong GOP candidates yet but a lot of things will change in the next few years so who knows what the landscape will look like.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 3:45 am

No matter who the President is, tough luck with the mess caused by despotic B***. Obama is indeed doing well relative to him.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 9:00 am

The American voters are just now finding out what a Light Weight their Savior, Obama Christ is. New Jersey and Virginia are just the beginning. Wait until the 2010 bi-election. In New Jersey the Democrat machine did not lay out too much money to get black folks to go out and vote.. Do you know why? Both candidates for governor in New Jersey be white. The "young vote" as singularly absent.

In the mean time Lord Obama and his sycophants dismiss New Jersey and Virgina as mere "local politics". All politics are local. Lord Obama in his pride and arrogance is heading for a Great Fall. Hang on and watch the fun.

ruveyn

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:16 am

Ruveyn - this is the news forum, not PPR.

Doing the right thing does not equate to doing the popular thing. What he accomplishes remains to be seen, all else is prognostication.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:22 am

because we all now a telephone survey is just as accurate as an actual election...

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:24 am

It's funny how people seem to forget what a GIGANTIC mess he has inherited and has to sort out. Everyone expects an immediate turnaround - it's simply not possible. When will people get their heads out of their asses and think rationally?

It will take YEARS to sort out what our lovely Bush & Friends has created. But no, it was all worth it, remember? Bush was elected TWICE... Totally worth it.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 10:52 am

gramirez wrote:
It's funny how people seem to forget what a GIGANTIC mess he has inherited and has to sort out. Everyone expects an immediate turnaround - it's simply not possible. When will people get their heads out of their asses and think rationally?

It will take YEARS to sort out what our lovely Bush & Friends has created. But no, it was all worth it, remember? Bush was elected TWICE... Totally worth it.

It started out way before Dubya. Go back to RWR to see a Republican (!) resort to voodoo economics and deliver $1.25 worth of government for $0.75 of taxes collected. RWR was a fraud. He pretended to be a Republican Conservative when he was still he Democrat self in disguise. RWR started out as a New Dealer and remained so, even if in disguise.

ruveyn

beejay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2009, 12:46 am

There isn't a politician in America within 20 points of the President when it comes to an approval rating on either side of the aisle, so who is this magic candidate who would beat him?

My fellow Americans. As a young boy, I dreamed of being a baseball; but tonight I say, we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 10:13 pm

Is it wrong of me that I kinda wanna point and laugh at the percentage of people who voted for Obama but now will unlikely for him next term? :lol:

I have a feeling most of those people were financially struggling and thought that Obama was gonna handle it.

It's kinda funny and yet annoying how alot of TV shows that were being pro-Obama before the election (SNL, the Simpsons) are now making critical jokes about him. :roll: It's so double-sided bias.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 1:34 pm

Those shows are entertainment; they utilize current events and situations to create scenarios that will connect with their audience. Every change in power brings a change in those who use their actions as fodder for financial gain. It isn't bias - it is business.

I voted for Obama - it's three years until the next election, but I don't see a Republican candidate arising (from the dead or not) who I would consider; curious what independent options might arise. Given the timeframe, I have no commitment in a particular direction... but asked today, I would vote for Obama again.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!