Seasonal job at Montgomery Wards*

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 6:18 pm

Okay, one thing, as a poker player, you play a 2-4 game at Circus Circus with the same skill as a 15-30 game at the Bellario. It's a point of pride. Now, you may not be a player, but you can probably figure out that the bigger numbers mean a bigger game!

So, even though this wasn't at all the job I was looking for, point of pride, I'm still going to do a good job, be open to enjoying it, and especially be open to appreciating the people there.

I'm working in the catalogue department. Occasionally, we'll help someone with our Internet site, show them the screen, and help them place their order. The customer has their choice of having it delivered to their home or to the store. And, because it's more convenient than arranging with a neighbor or worrying about the package sitting on their door step, many people choose to pick it up at the store. It's an interesting model of clicks and bricks.

I have also gotten some inspiration saying to myself, 'How good is your B game?' You know how you're concentrating intensely and then your energy slumps? Previously, I had often thought, well, I had ruined it, I had lost the thread, I wasn't excelling. Not necessarily. There's a way of staying in the flow and more casually concentrating. I have experimented with this in other situations. And this is turning into another good learning experience.

Montgomery Wards* (I'm actually working at another major department store. And since it's my current job, I'm going to have to think a little bit whether I wish to reveal the name.)

And about the poker, even with excellent math skills and reading books on tells, I broke even (if you don't count the incidentals!). So, be careful.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 6:33 pm

Montgomery Wards went bankrupt a long time ago...so, what kind of fools do you think we are to believe you work there?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2009, 7:18 pm

And that's why I felt comfortable using them as a pseudonym!

Like I'm saying, it is my current job, and I need to think over whether I wish to tell the name of the place. But it's a place a lot like Montgomery Wards used to be---which, by the way, is a place I have pretty fond memories of.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2009, 2:02 am

I do the very same job as you! I work in customer service for one of the nation's favorite fashion retailers.