Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2011, 8:54 pm

Of course its possible to be right-brain dominant and be on the spectrum!! There are plenty of people with AS who are gifted artists and musicians, both of which originate in the right brain.

And I don't think being right-brain dominant automatically means your left-handed and vice versa! I'm right-handed and consider myself predominantly right-brained. Although, I do have some left-brained characteristics, such as wanting everything to be organized and being analytical.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 3:07 am

Left/Right Braininess is bollocks. The brain is far more complicated than that.

I'm left handed, and I'm good at creative stuff, but I'm also good at math and science. As for spatial vs. verbal, I'm not sure, I haven't taken any of the tests, but I think I'm sort of both.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 4:06 am

I'm left handed and sometimes it's going clockwise and sometimes it's going counter clockwise.

It changed right in the middle of my looking at it. That is weird.

Burnbridge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 5:53 am

What a weird thing to look at when right when I woke up at 5 am.

I'm cross dominant. Handwriting with my right hand, play music and eat with my left, and so on.

I saw the dancer spinning clockwise and couldn't change it. Then it started going counter clockwise after about 5 minutes, and still I couldn't willfully change it.

Wikipedia article about spinning dancer seemed to think the spinning dancer has nothing to do with brainedness, but rather whether you perceive the dancer from above or below.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

I am right-handed (which I DON'T associate with having AS, most people I know are right-handed so I always thought that was just common).
But I can ride a bike without my right hand but not without my left hand. If I take my right hand off the handle bars, I can still steer perfectly, but if I take my left hand off (but keep my right hand on the handle bars), I go all wobbly and feel I am going to lose control of the bike.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:32 am

"Handedness is a homeland." (--The Theory and Practice of Oligarchic Collectivism)

i distrust both the "overly male" characterization of AS & the conventional dichotomies of "left brain" vs "right brain"; i do think some functions are complementary, & it is obvious humans do show pervasive lateral preferences, but what we need are far more nuanced conceptual models than these.

my own case does not present a clear-cut identity. i was born left handed & forced to write with my right ( in the bad old days). i was a highly articulate child & taught myself to read before entering school. i have always been drawn to verbal ornateness, math-science interests & visual expression alike. i share face- & (to a degree) place-blindness with many aspies. i figure myself as a Jungian intuition-dominant & experience this as prior to either images or words. for a long time i have found a congenial social environment among writers & artists, while recognizing that my needs were essentially different from theirs. i don't think i would have been at home among scientists either, though this was something i chose not to pursue for other reasons (& maybe i was wrong).

the need for many humans to sort themselves into opposing teams is something i do not feel myself or understand, & in fact i think this is one of humanity's most besetting ills. i see nothing above, below, or inbetween that falls into neat dichotomies except for a small subset of language. perhaps one day we will outgrow this error.

reasoning." --William Blake