Need help interpreting something with a female...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mark95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2009, 11:41 pm

Well obviously as an Aspie I have issues with interpreting social cues.

I'm in 8th grade (I'm 14), there is a girl I know who I like alot...
Well for about 2-3 months now she has been acting quite strange around me... she's been saying weird things to me alot, asking me to sing, poking me, pretending to be a relative, saying hi to me, etc.
Some other things she's done are rub her foot against my leg once, and a few times she's gotten all pink and smiled at me and waved saying hi...
I don't know what to make of this, I think she could like me back but I just wonder if she's just joking around with me... I have no idea what's going on and it's really confusing me... :(
I would be really happy if she liked me back but I would be crushed if it turned out to just be joking around.

DarkAzrael
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2009, 12:14 am

Go for it, she seems to really like you. You never regret being shot down, but you will spend a lifetime wishing you said something to the ones who got away.

Smile back at her when she looks and you and place your hand on the small of her back while walking with her and touch her hands or shoulders a bit off and on while talking.

Mark95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2009, 12:28 am

How can I be sure if she really likes me and isn't just messing around? It's so weird.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:34 am

No-one can ever be totally sure, without the person actually saying they like you. This is a problem even NTs can have.
I would say she likes you personally, since she has smiled, waved and touched you with her foot.
As someone suggested, next time she smiles at you, smile back. If she waves, wave back. Or you could simply ask outright if she likes you, at least then you have a definite answer.

Mark95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2009, 12:41 am

I do say hi back and I nervously attempt waving. I make her smile a lot when I talk to her, mostly with little things I say.
Once I did something for her and she appreciated it and told me, but I didn't respond the correct way when she said it, and she was like "You're supposed to say 'you're welcome'"
Well, that was a bad time for my AS symptoms to shine through! :P

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:50 am

Tell her you like her, and ask to hang out or study together or whatever it is you middle schoolers fill your afternoons with. You've listed several key indicators of her interest. If you make no move whatsoever you will come to regret it 100% of the time. If you make a move, your chances of not liking the outcome decrease.

So, show, or tell her you like her as more than just a friend. Fate will take it from there.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 12:52 am

hehe, well, if she really likes you she will overlook little mistakes like that.
I am guessing she doesn't know you have aspergers?
Just carry on as you have been and if there is an opportunity, tell her you like her a lot, and maybe ask if you can spend more time together. :)

Mark95
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Nov 2009, 12:55 am

Nobody knows I have AS, I don't go blabbering about it. It can be obvious at times from my intellectual ramblings and physical awkwardness though, hehe.
I try to be around her and I sit next to her during my first period class. She's obviously ok with it because the first time I asked she let me and after that I've just sat by her with no problem. She's helped me a little bit during class, and I said thank you... I saw a little smile on her face after I said that.

Orbyss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 1:26 am

It's so hard to say from reading second and third hand accounts on an internet board, but just based on your description it sounds like she could actually be very fascinated, even a little infatuated, with your 'strangeness'. I've known girls like that and I, myself, tend toward that. She actually sounds a bit like me back in school.

I say, try to be friends with her, don't lock up. Be yourself and don't take it too seriously. If you can laugh at yourself, she'll like that even more. Be quirky and like it. Chicks do dig quirky sometimes.
;)

TB
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 5:26 am

be proud of how unique you are even the awkward parts if you show her that you like yourself the way you are you will get major points, because that is probably why she likes you in the first place.

go for it man !

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 6:35 am

Why don't you tell her about your feelings? You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.

--------------------------------------

"You only have 3 choices when it comes to love
give up // give in // give it yer all
you decide - which ones -worth it."

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2009, 8:30 am

Yes, go for it just talk to her. :)

Ens
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Nov 2009, 9:18 am

Go for it or you WILL regret doing NOTHING until you die. I guarantee it.

HopeGrows
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In exactly the right place at exactly the right time.

07 Nov 2009, 10:25 am

Honey, having once been a 14 year old girl, I can tell you that she's interested. You don't need to discuss how you feel with her, kiddo - just ask her out, as in, "Would you like to go out sometime?" If her response is yes, you have your answer. (Since you're both young and inexperienced, don't be shocked if her answer is, "On a date?" She probably just wants to be sure she understands your intentions are romantic and not platonic. So if she asks, just say, "Yes.")

iquanyin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2009, 5:59 pm

over time i've found a pretty reliable indicator of someone being into you:

they're around you a lot when they don't have to be.

Yagaloth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2009, 9:10 am

Agreed that it's hard to judge from second- or third-hand accounts, but in absence of any other details the blushing and smiling you described ("a few times she's gotten all pink and smiled at me and waved saying hi") seems pretty much like a dead give-away: that's not something I would be able to just fake for the sake of messing around with someone. If she's blushing, I would be willing to bet that she likes you.

I used to blush furiously when any pretty girl would speak to me nicely. But I don't really do that so much anymore for some reason, and I guess it's because I stay much calmer talking to girls I feel attracted to than I used to. I've considered trying to blush as a way of flirting, but I can't figure out how to make that happen now when I feel more secure, confident, and calm around pretty girls than I ever have before. In the past, I hated blushing, but now I think it could be fun for my unspoken attraction to be given away so easily :)