Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

k96822
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 2:25 pm

Please forgive me if someone mentioned this before. I did a search and found 11 pages of forum topics regarding "George Bush", most of them (if not all of them) having little to do with AS.

As I've been watching him talk on T.V., I have to wonder: do you think George Bush might have Asperger's Syndrome?

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 3:02 pm

God, I really hope not... :lol:

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 3:02 pm

No, he is just an idiot.

But I think the former president of Kosovo had AS, Dr. Ibrahim Rugova. He was a pacifist and the founding father of the nation of Kosovo. He was a Sorbonne university educated poet and intellectual. He sadly died last month, his funeral was attended by half a million people.

Web links - Pictures of Ibrahim Rugova and Wiki biography

He was socially inept. For example…one time when there were several diplomats visiting him at his house (he rarely left his house)... in the middle of the meeting he suddenly sat on the floor, put on the TV and watched a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

As for a narrow intellectual interest. He collected minerals, like me. He would give away specimens to people who visited him, dignitaries would then compare specimens as they left president Rugova’s house…he would give the biggest and best rock to people he liked (Serbian ambassadors only got small specimens.) He also bred Sar Mountain dogs.

He was criticised (like Thomas Jefferson) for being too secluded. He rarely left his home. He left his house to talk to the Kosovo Parliament only twice in one year. Also, wherever he went, he always wore the same distinctive scarf and dress style. Finally, a journalist wrote a critique of his presidency, saying that “Dr. Rugova’s behavior was political autism”.

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 3:35 pm

Saying George W. Bush has Asperger's Syndrome is an insult to the aspie community.

Ice_Man708
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2006, 3:47 pm

*shudder*
i dont know how he could be even considered to have AS.
he's just ret*d. plain and simple.

pad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:07 pm

I think you're mistaken aspergers for ret*d. :wink:

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:18 pm

Based on all the language blunders President George W. Bush makes in his speeches and his less than stellar grades at Yale and before, I would have to say he's probably dyslexic (I'm certainly not trying to insult dyslexic people here; hey, he's part of taxons I belong to, too: man (or at least of the male sex), caucasian, U.S. citizen, etc.).

I've also read that Bush isn't a moron; he's a cunning sociopath, where cunning = able to take advantage of nepotism to run a business into the ground and then become president of the present most powerful nation-state in the world <edit>and run it into the ground too!</edit>

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:47 pm

Diamonddavej wrote:
No, he is just an idiot.

QuirkyCarla wrote:
Saying George W. Bush has Asperger's Syndrome is an insult to the aspie community.

pad wrote:
I think you're mistaken aspergers for ret*d. :wink:

*applauds*

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 4:58 pm

I believe he is actually Dyslexic. So at the very least he certainly is neurodiverse....key word being diverse there :lol:

And to give him credit he was abit of a wild mentalist back when his daddy was president he saw jesus at the end of a jack daniels bottle and since then the world has had to find out what jesus said :P

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 5:15 pm

I'll give you dyslexic... but Aspie? No, he has too much charisma. Whether you like him or not, you have to admit he got voted in as President--twice--and that takes some doing. The sort of intuitive political maneuvering that you need to be able to do to become President is the sort of thing that just wouldn't be of interest to a typically eccentric Aspie.

When leadership is contingent upon social skills, image, and public speaking ability (and not necessarily organizational skills, intelligence, or even political stances), the Aspie will probably lag behind, simply because s/he doesn't look good enough to the public! I can see an Aspie being a very good Vice President, though, if s/he learned how to make good speeches and learned social protocol; the behind-the-scenes organizer is the sort of thing an Aspie can handle pretty well.

Here's one to think about though: Calvin Coolidge. It seems he hardly said two words together, if he could help it, and was nicknamed "Silent Cal". Hmm...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

odeon
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2006, 5:50 pm

Bush an Aspie? I don't think so. (Biting my lip to avoid the obvious comments about average or above average IQs, etc.)

But while on the subject, isn't Al Gore often mentioned as a potential Aspie? I don't know why, but I've seen it suggested more than once.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 6:13 pm

George bush is about as NT as you can get. While being an absolute moron in all areas that matter he has excellent people skills. And he has these skills subconsciously. He doesnt need to calculate how to behave. He just has excellent charisma.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 6:29 pm

Bush gets so many forum diagnoses on the internet [eg,mentally ret*d,ADHD..],how can anyone say he's got a PDD or other disability without knowing him through anything but the media? :?: and without going over his childhood history?

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

ancientofdaze
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2006, 6:50 pm

Dyslexia?

I think he has flashbacks from his druggy days.

And I think he's as NonSpectrum as they come.

Nitz
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2006, 7:18 pm

I'll have to agree with everyone who's dismissed the idea that Bush would be an Aspie. Aspies tend to be on the fringes of society and social interaction, while Bush is totally the Establishment ( and by extension, everything wrong with it ).

I'm flashing back to that scene from Fahrenheit 911, where Bush is talking at a typical summit of the rich and powerful, talking about the " haves " and " Have-mores ", and saying to the audience of Have-Mores, " You guys are my base! " I don't know any Aspies who would be so repulsive.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2006, 8:45 pm

GWB with AS? --No.

GWB as Privileged Rich Kid who's legacy is that of being completely mediochre, and inheriting his positions not by hard work, but by taking advantage of his father's successes and influence? --Yes.