Do you think nobody cares if you have AS?...

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2009, 3:31 am

Do you think that nobody cares if you have AS? Normally I do not bring it up and I am happy this way. People just end up thinking I am weird in a good way, like Andy Warhol weird I mean.
I think my parents forget that I have the disorder because I have gotten over so many of my bad habits and issues like crowds. I can stand crowds a whole lot better than I used to. And for some reason I feel that since my progress has gone in a direction that would surprise one of the people that dxed, then maybe the fact that I don't have as many narrow interests might make me less likely to do well with AS.

Though, there are times that I end up getting mad at people for acting normal, like for instance whenever I do not understand that whatever I am doing could be social suicide. And then I get mad at them because they care what people think and I don't. Well, I take that back because I do care what people think just whenever I am paranoid. I sometimes pretend that my friends can see me doing embarrassing things like listening to Regina Spektor on my ipod so I cringe whenever I get to that track. Me and Woody Allen would be almost identical. I may not be as obsessive as I used to be but my neurosis makes up for the days when I was lost in books and ideas.

08 Nov 2009, 3:48 am

My family doesn't care, my husband doesn't, I don't, I think anyone else cares. I never told anyone except a few people. My mom acts lile things I do is part of my anxiety or being me or part of being hungry.I act more aspie when hungry. I am less flexible and people bug me more. Little things bother me that usually don't bother me.
My dad has always said "You learn as you get older." He was right.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 4:01 am

Good question. I think I hang out on WP because the membership is the only ones that actually care that I have AS. Everyone else (that knows) trys to ignore it, like an old lady whose slip is showing or has smeared her lipstick. Or tell me how 'wonderful' my adptation to normal life is, as if that was my whole goal in life - being more like them. :roll:

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 4:38 am

That's right, nobody cares. As long as we can maintain the face of normality, noone will look beyond it. As soon as we can't, we're labelled as defective and discarded.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 5:21 am

Or more specifically...as long as we're providing a service to others that they request/require, they don't mind it.

You could be a blind pigeon, and if you can replicate the Sisteen Chapel to a T, no one will honestly be any the wiser.

idiocratik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 7:58 am

My mother cares only about my diagnosis so that she can get me on disability and medicare. She doesn't inform herself on Asperger's at all, or treat me any differently. My grandmother doesn't acknowledge it, either. Well, my mom's mom. My dad's mom is more supportive. She always has been. In fact, that entire side of the family is more supportive. I tell my mom about anything that I want to do, and she lectures me. I tell someone on my dad's side of the family and they say, "go for it!" I'm glad I'm leaving in 4 1/2 months.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Nov 2009, 9:52 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
My family doesn't care, my husband doesn't, I don't, I think anyone else cares. I never told anyone except a few people. My mom acts lile things I do is part of my anxiety or being me or part of being hungry.I act more aspie when hungry. I am less flexible and people bug me more. Little things bother me that usually don't bother me.
My dad has always said "You learn as you get older." He was right.

I'm the same way when I get hungry. I thought it was just me. But I get very irritable when I'm hungry and nervous and tense and I just have to get something in my stomach right away. And then, sometimes when I'm eating and someone is getting on my case about something, well, it isn't pretty. Dishes fly. But that doesn't happen very often. I wish people would just let me alone sometimes. But, no. People don't care if I have AS or anything else. They just think I'm very odd but they love me the way I am. I'm talking about family. They never mention AS and if I bring it up they get either amused or annoyed. If they would just do a little research and connect the dots they would understand.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:45 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oqUd8utr14[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8TfaOle5CM[/youtube]

I don't mind being grouped in with Andy Warhol.

Other people mind, except they don't really know.

It's mind over matter. If they don't mind, it doesn't matter.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:56 am

Nah, they don't really care, even if it's their job to care. People are islands, and we are even more isolated than others.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 10:56 am

i do not care if anyone cares that i have AS
in fact, i hope they do not.

HarryHaller
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Nov 2009, 1:04 pm

peterd wrote:
That's right, nobody cares. As long as we can maintain the face of normality, noone will look beyond it. As soon as we can't, we're labelled as defective and discarded.
That's our existential mission as an individual with Asperger's Syndrome, to maintain a life with a natural sense of identity and to overcome our fears, problems. I am a huge reader of Friedrich Nietzsche and Kierkegaard. I think individuals with AS can relate to an existential existence.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 1:07 pm

Not many care and neither do I. Oooh I have AS big deal.

oppositedirection
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 2:46 pm

No one I've told particularly cares, beyond my mother. That's fine by me, I tell them so they can understand any of my unusual behaviour better, not for sympathy. Hence I've only told about four people.

However, they do often care when they see the side affects. Such as heavy depression. Thankfully that one is easier to laugh aside than autism, make an excuse and then the conversation will soon change. Or just stop.

'An ideal of total self-sufficiency. That secret smile may be the Buddha's but it is monstrous seen on a baby's face. To conquer craving is indeed to conquer pain, but humanity goes with it. That my autistic daughter wanted nothing was worst of all.' Park

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2009, 4:02 pm

i dont care wearther or not they dont care