Meet-Up in Southern Ontario: Call for Interested Parties

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Would you be interested in a Southern Ontario (Toronto) Meet-up?
Yes, yes please. I would love to meet up! 71%  71%  [ 12 ]
Perhaps. What type of people and event would be involved? 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
No. Stay away. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2009, 11:59 pm

Wish I could join all of you!
Ugh, exams. :(

But I'll be seeing MathGirl soon...so it's all good.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2009, 9:24 am

MathGirl wrote:
And about the Science Centre, it's actually called BodyWorlds, not BodyWorks, eh?

Details, details... :P

Yeah, noticed that. It kind of freaked me out. There was an exhibit in Buffalo called BodyWorks this past summer with plasticized human bodies in natural poses. Kind of the same thing. Suppose I just figured it was the same exhibit. Rather curious to see how this one differs...

If you guys wish to meet ahead I might be able to meet early, 3 is the earliest I could try. There's a chance I'll be late though. Do people have cell phones? Perhaps we could do a number exchange, just in case.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 9:43 am

Well, a mini-meetup occured on Saturday. Two people showed up. It was short notice which may have made it difficult.

Perhaps if we plan an event for over the holiday season, in a month, more people can attend.

Are people still up for the ScienceCentre? I've king of got it in my head now and the only way to shake it will be to visit. (Preferably before it closes next time, *sigh* :lol: )

P.S. Sart, sorry i didn't realize that by "earlier" you meant in the morning. And Lost, we missed you.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 5:13 pm

nansnick wrote:
Well, a mini-meetup occured on Saturday. Two people showed up. It was short notice which may have made it difficult.
What a pointless trip we had. The whole purpose of making a trip now instead of later was to visit BodyWorlds, and we didn't even get to go to the Science Centre! 8O
I truly wish they kept BodyWorlds for a little bit longer. Until Christmas, maybe. Grr...

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 10:46 am

It felt like a comedy of errors. What could go wrong, went wrong. What couldn't possibly go wrong, also, amazingly, went wrong. :lol:

...the greenroom was in a random back alley..people didn't message back...people didn't show up...the highway was closed...the highway in the other direction was closed...the entire street was closed...not allowed to make a left turn...not allowed to make a u-turn...bodyworlds was sold out...the science centre closed early...the lady at the restaurant couldn't figure out how to bring us water... ...all we wanted was some water...

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2009, 12:57 am

I was excited and nervous when I started reading this thread and now I'm somewhat sad that the meeting already (kind of) took place. I just got back from a week in Vancouver or I would have been in here sooner.

For future meetings, if I could gather up enough courage and cash I would love to meet some of you and go to the Science Centre. I went to the one in Vancouver and it's tons of fun! I've been thinking about going back to the Toronto one for a few months now but it hasn't happened yet.

koolguy18
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Nov 2009, 11:19 pm

i live in toronto, so its possible i could attend the next one. if its during christmas though i wouldnt be able to go, cuz i go home, but i might be in.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:19 pm

Apparently BodyWorlds is on until the end of December (31st)!

Anyone still interested in visiting the exhibition?

If so, we should probably pick a date and order tickets in advance. This way we won't have the "Sold Out" issue that occurred last time we tried. >.<

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 12:50 pm

nansnick wrote:
Apparently BodyWorlds is on until the end of December (31st)!
Anyone still interested in visiting the exhibition?
If so, we should probably pick a date and order tickets in advance. This way we won't have the "Sold Out" issue that occurred last time we tried. >.<
Yeah! That's an excellent idea. We have to decide on a date, though. Personally for me, any day after December 20th is fine.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

Chances are any date will be OK for me, I'll arrange my schedule around this meet-up. Except, of course, the 24-25th which are familiarly obligated.

We have a request of after Sun. Dec. 20th - Anyone else need certain dates? or certain times?

Pipe up peoples, nows your chance :D

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2009, 11:54 am

Is nobody else interested? Where did all the enthusiasm go?

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 4:30 pm

Keeping this thread alive

I've met up with nansnick this Sunday and we have decided to do an outing on December 27th. It will be a full-day outing this time, starting at, maybe, 11:00 AM or 12:00 AM to allow time for everyone to get to Toronto. We are going to the Science Centre for BodyWorlds.

If anyone is interested in coming, please either post in this thread or PM me or nansnick.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 8:40 am

MathGirl wrote:
Keeping this thread alive

I've met up with nansnick this Sunday and we have decided to do an outing on December 27th. It will be a full-day outing this time, starting at, maybe, 11:00 AM or 12:00 AM to allow time for everyone to get to Toronto. We are going to the Science Centre for BodyWorlds.

If anyone is interested in coming, please either post in this thread or PM me or nansnick.

27th is it? I'll mark it on my calendar :)

We should double check to make sure tickets area still available for BodyWorlds although if they are not I'd still be interested in the Science Centre on its own.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2009, 12:38 pm

Sartresue just PMed me and said that the 29th is the best for her. Let's make it the 29th instead, not the 27th then.

EDIT: So we've arranged to meet at 11:00 AM on the 29th. There will be 4 people coming, including one person from my aspie support group. If anyone else is interested, you have only one day left to tell us.

Task
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm

Nifty. How'd it go?

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2010, 1:02 pm

Task wrote:
Nifty. How'd it go?

Well, I think.

The exhibition was informative and engrossing. Having human models does make a difference when viewing and understanding anatomy and systems. It was well worth the high admission fee. The minute perceptible and unperceptive detail that biological materials posses and the ability to relate to the models as actual objects, not just as representative ones, made all the difference in understanding the physical body in a working context. It helped me process years of accumulated facts.

The gory details didn't turn anyone off, the first thing we all mentioned when we exited the exhibit was how hungry we were. : ) Ribs, anyone?

The rest of the OSC was alright. Certain areas were high in crowds and perhaps tipped toward the over-stimulation category. In all, most of it seemed dated, faux-interactive and not complex enough. The "hair-raising thingy" presentation was especially fun, one of us got to volunteer and had their hair stand on end!

Transportation was straight forward, thanks to one persons familiarity with the transit system. Though, driving would have been less stressful.

Perhaps we'll try another sometime in the future.