Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2009, 3:12 pm

I got my paper back today, only a B on it. I have to knock the next two tests out of the park, got A's on my last two tests. I sometimes question whether it's whether I don't have A material writing in college, or if the professor is grading too harshly. I'm more tempted to say the latter, because, well it's just easier to question the way they grade. And it's really difficult to get away from that kind of thinking.

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 3:17 pm

Did you go to the Writing Center at your college and ask for assistance to write your paper? College is not at all like high school
and many times, it is best to utilize the resources, like the Writing Center, to produce an "A" paper...if when you think you don't need such assistance.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2009, 6:08 pm

It depends, also, on the subject area. Unlike the hard sciences or mathematics where there is a "right" answer, and an objective method can demonstrate how you arrive at it, writing in the humanities (and to a lesser extent the social sciences) can involve subjective assessments about, for examply, the sufficiency of your research and the clarity of your writing.

When I was an undergraduate, a 70 average put a student on the Dean's List. An 80 average would earn you a degree with distinction. The simple reality was that my undergraduate school did not engage in the type of grade inflation that appears to be prevalent in secondary schools today.

ottorocketforever
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Nov 2009, 6:30 pm

To be honest, I'd prefer an A in a place that has low standards as opposed to a B in a place that has high standards. Pretty much, that's the same paper you're talking about. Would I rather have an honest assessment, or a high grade? That answer is obvious to me. I'd rather reap the rewards, than get criticized one more time.