Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2009, 9:35 am

TheHaywire wrote:
Since when do aspie's love rules? Please be careful about posting inaccurate information here.

Obsessive routines and rituals are a part of the diagnostic criteria. Rules aren't only the things authorities make up, aspies make rules for themselves by doing things a certain way over and over again. Sociopaths are impulsive, they don't need the security that routines and rituals bring.

odd42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2009, 11:18 am

Maggiedoll wrote:
odd42 wrote:
there is actually quite a bit of research on sociopathy, you might try looking under antisocial personality disorder as well. try doing a search in google scholar. the majority of "sociopaths" are not criminals as legally defined, but are all by definition, guilty of what i would summarize as, living and meeting their own needs, with disregard for the rights of others.

But your options so far as how to study sociopaths are limited. There are criminals, CEOs, and lawyers/politicians. (I know.. that was redundant.) But those later groups wouldn't actually have a diagnosis. Breaking the law is part of the diagnostic criteria for Antisocial Personality Disorder. As far as I know, there are just two groups of sociopaths.. the criminals, and those who haven't been caught. But those who haven't been caught are still criminals. But you can't study them, because they haven't been caught.

a lot of the time, they are studied by screening for them when doing personality research - often done on undergraduates (and under DSM-IV TR, you do not have to be a criminal to have ASPD - it is important to distinguish clinical from legal terminology.) Back in grad school, we used to have a joke that the most common research subjects were rats, pigeons, and college sophmores. LOL at the redundancy:)

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 12:33 pm

Callista wrote:
There's a third group--those who have logically deduced that they will have more satisfaction out of life if they follow the law in most instances. This is actually the desirable end-point for therapy with antisocial personality--not somehow magically acquiring a conscience, but becoming able to consider consequences and follow social rules because, in the end, it benefits you more than not doing it.

Then how did those people end up in therapy to begin with?

odd42 wrote:
a lot of the time, they are studied by screening for them when doing personality research - often done on undergraduates (and under DSM-IV TR, you do not have to be a criminal to have ASPD - it is important to distinguish clinical from legal terminology.) Back in grad school, we used to have a joke that the most common research subjects were rats, pigeons, and college sophmores. LOL at the redundancy:)

But in that case, you're talking about answers on a personality survey.. If they're not people who have caused problems, there may not be a disorder at all, and if there is a disorder, they're probably good enough at answering tests like that not to show up as antisocial on them!

How would somebody with a "persistent disregard for the rights of others" end up in therapy at all, unless it were court-ordered or otherwise forced?

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 1:58 pm

Aimless wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I am a sociopath.

Are you like this?

http://www.sociopathworld.com/2009/03/i ... tions.html

No, I must be an aspie sociopath, if a thing like that exists, I must have a disorder along AS.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 2:13 pm

bluerose wrote:
bhetti wrote:
Irulan wrote:
bdhkhsfgk wrote:
I am a sociopath.

I am a mixture of both (if you want me to, I can elaborate on this tomorrow). Of course, I can’t describe myself as a fully fledged socio as it would be very far from the truth but I show a big number of traits typical for them. Apart from my putative ASD, dissocial personality disorder seems to describe my traits very accurately.
studies on white and gray matter structure in individuals with antisocial personality disorder and autism seem to indicate the two cannot be co-morbid.

Where did you get this from?
a bunch of articles over the years. you can google "white matter lying", "white matter autism" and "gray matter autism" and find a bunch of them. there seem to be distinct patterns for each although both can effect the same parts of the brain, which would explain why seemingly similar behavior might be observed. the degree to which empathy is broken in sociopathy is very extreme, and the need to control others is high.

pathological liars have a very different pattern of white matter than autistics or sociopaths. I figured sociopaths would have white matter patterns like pathological liars but they don't.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2009, 4:25 pm

bluerose wrote:
TheHaywire wrote:
Since when do aspie's love rules? Please be careful about posting inaccurate information here.

Obsessive routines and rituals are a part of the diagnostic criteria. Rules aren't only the things authorities make up, aspies make rules for themselves by doing things a certain way over and over again. Sociopaths are impulsive, they don't need the security that routines and rituals bring.

Creating routines and rituals is not the same as loving rules. Aspie's don't understand rules that the rest of society has adapted to. (especially social rules)

bluerose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2009, 3:56 am

TheHaywire wrote:
bluerose wrote:
TheHaywire wrote:

Creating routines and rituals is not the same as loving rules. Aspie's don't understand rules that the rest of society has adapted to. (especially social rules)

You don't get my point. At all. Aspies may not like societal rules because they don't "get" them but they need SOME kind of structure. The same structure, which, for other people, lies in social rules. Aspies don't get those rules so they make up their own. Routines and rituals=self made rules. These offer them the security which normal people derive from the general rules of society. Sociopaths don't need any external sense of security, because they are a lot less anxious than normal people, if at all. Therefore, they are impulsive, spontaneous, unorganized.

UrchinStar47
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2009, 1:54 pm

bluerose wrote:
I've been reading about sociopathy and it seems like an opposite disorder of asperger's. But it doesn't seem to be as well studied at all, I mean in normal, everyday people, not criminals. There's tons of info on asperger's out there but not on sociopaths, only anecdotal accounts by laypeople or books about criminals. There's not much info on physical differences, brainwaves and the sort. Anyways, it does seem like opposite. Aspies are easily overstimulated, sociopaths are bored all the time. Aspies have a lot of sympathy, sociopaths none. Aspies have no theory of mind, sociopaths can tell what people are feeling better than normal people. Aspies tend to love rules, sociopaths not. Aspies tend to be anxious, sociopaths are fearless. Etc.
I met someone actually that I'm pretty sure is sociopathic. It's hard to explain, but they were very charming, lived off of other people, academically a failure even though of normal intelligence, constant partying. The eye contact was very intense and attentive. I remember thinking I've never had anyone look into my eyes that intensely before.
What do you guys think? Have you ever met anyone like this?

I found that when things actually matter the opposite is true. Aspies scare sociopaths, as their usual charms do not work.

I have known a person I suspect is a sociopath, and he did break the law, technically, because glorification of Nazism (at great length, and at every opportunity) is a crime in my country. He has a pronounced enjoyment in breaking lives of others, and seeing lives of others ruined.