Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2009, 10:28 pm

I'm learning to play the drums.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 8:46 pm

I've been playing acoustic guitar since 2007.
I've got a classical guitar, and a steel-string: Blueridge BR-60:

Image 8) (excellent sound! :) )

And I took singing lessons for a while, but my voice is really soft :oops:

I also tried playing guitar and singing simultaneously, I really liked doing that, but then you couldn't hear my voice any more :(

And as a child I played the recorder: soprano (descant) and alto (treble); and I played the electronic organ for a short while.

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

ColaInflux
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Nov 2009, 5:12 am

Recorder
Guitar
Bass
Drums
Harmonica
Keyboard

Am I any good? No. Do I enjoy it? Yes.

Scientist
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2009, 11:12 am

ColaInflux wrote:
... Am I any good? No. Do I enjoy it? Yes.
:lol:

Interests: science, experimental psychology, psychophysics, music (listening and playing (guitar)) and visual arts

Don't focus on your weaknesses, focus on your strengths

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Nov 2009, 11:53 am

anasthasia wrote:
Do you play any instrument, for how many years and how do you like it?

I play percussion (mostly marimba.)
I've been playing for 37 years & I like it a lot - it's a great way to unwind at the end of the day.

hawk269
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Nov 2009, 3:47 am

I've had a guitar for 15 years, but I really need to take some lessons. I've got the techniques down, but knowing which notes to play is hit and miss. I showed my girlfriend a few chords and she surpassed me in days...she's gifted like that.

My musical strengths come in mixing, production and sound design. I love sitting at a synth and creating new sounds. Same with guitar and different effects. My girlfriend and I are a good team...I make her some nice sounds and she puts them to good use.

Pre-order Harmonic Feedback by Tara Kelly at http://www.amazon.com/Harmonic-Feedback ... rakelly-20
or any other fine book seller.

Eluveitie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Nov 2009, 10:08 pm

I've been playing my drums for about 9 months now and I really enjoy them. I love making up rythms and grooves

hawk269 wrote:
My musical strengths come in mixing, production and sound design. I love sitting at a synth and creating new sounds. Same with guitar and different effects. My girlfriend and I are a good team...I make her some nice sounds and she puts them to good use.

I would love to be able to learn this. I think I got into a course to learn it as well for next year. Shame my best mate missed out.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

02 Dec 2009, 12:25 am

Piano - 48 years
Drums - 41 years
Bass - 37 years
Guitar - 35 years
My new Korg M50 workstation - 1 month

I don't know how to read sheet music, but I've played without it all these years, in public for money and on records and in kitchens and basements and living rooms all over, for the joy of being able to do it.

I've never owned my own keyboard before. It's been a pleasant rediscovery that not only do I still have playing skills, they got better while I wasn't looking!

There isn't anything I like more.

TheHaywire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 6:50 am

Traditional piano. I'm also an electronic programmer and love analog synthesizers.

starygrrl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2009, 3:11 pm

Guitar - 19 years
Keyboards - 25 years (organ/synth/electric piano to start, Piano for about 17 years)
Double Bass 17 years
Programming (drum machines, sequencers) 23 years
bass guitar 19 years

These are what I can play now. I have played in my life mandolin, french horn, trumpet (badly), and harp. I also used to do composition.

I also have been doing sound engineering for 12 years.

technofan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Dec 2009, 8:43 am

i play guitar, and piano i have been playing piano for only three months i cant read music but i learned moonlight sonata in 2 months. i learn by listining and by finger posisionon the keys the after a couple times of playing the little section ( i learn a little part every friday) i get it down.

visnofskygirl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2009, 6:05 am

I play the guitar but I can't read music notes and can't play by ear.

ritagail
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2009, 5:51 pm

I've chorded on guitars and keyboards over my lifetime, I'm 48, even written some of my own music, but, this year, I bought myself a cheap Lyons brand tenor recorder, and I'm in love!

Seriously, I'm not very good at it but have the most wonderful time playing anything from hymns to John Denver to even the Beatles and some of my own stuff.

I even invested in a finger dexterity book that is more "classical" and joined 2 lists for recorder players on Yahoo.....it's getting serious......LOL!!

Loli-kun
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2009, 7:12 am

Classical Piano - 9years.
Currently I'm a Classical Performance Major at college. Started a bit late but seem to have a natural gift for piano and especially for reading notation (possibly more fluent in it then in english) I also compose and am able to compose in my head without needing a piano nearby to figure stuff out.

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 11:09 am

Penny whistle- On and off for about 3 years although I'm rusty at the moment and I'm looking for lessons. I've just ordered a book to help me.
Keyboard- 4 days :lol: I played it for a while in primary school and last week I went into a music store to look for a book for my penny whistle and I ended up buying a keyboard! I don't know what came over me but I couldn't resist. It's actually quite fun so far.
Guitar-A few months but I haven't had much chance to practice although holidays are coming up soon so I will then. I prefer the keyboard at the moment.
:P

Psionic_JafarX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Dec 2009, 3:18 pm

the insrtuments I can play are

keyboards, I have 2 of them an SH 201 and a Microkorg and they are awsome
guitar, i have a Ibanez GIO
bass but not as good as guitar and keyboard