Page 4 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 7:12 pm

If we were still hanging the worse of the worse in the puplic squares it would be a more effective in detering crime.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Nov 2009, 7:27 pm

It's the humane thing to do to put somebody down sick enough to do the things the death penalty warrants in my opinion. I agree with the opinion that it's like putting down a rabid animal. You have to protect the public from these people.

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 11:55 pm

visagrunt wrote:
So far, all that I am persuaded of is that people are willing to wash their hands of a problem, giving no thought to curing the disease, rather than the symptom.

No thought to curing the disease? I guess that depends on how you define "disease." Here's a thought: Click, bang. Disease cured.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 3:37 am

I once met a UK prison officer (no I was not an inmate) and he told me that most murders are one off crimes commited by a law abiding person who snaps once. The person is unlikely to ever commit another serious crime in their life.

But I know that some criminals are pure evil and have the potential to commit murder again and again.

I think that the real acid test is the question "would I feel happy about being the hangman or gunman who has the job of killing criminals".

I would have to say that for the majority of murder cases I would feel deeply unhappy about killing the criminal, but in selected cases where there are clear aggravating features of the crime I would be willing to do the job. To me it would not be fun or a jolly act, but instead an nasty job which needed doing for the good of society.

I think in the cases of Bundy, the Washington Sniper, Andrei Chikatilo, Fred West and nazi concentration camp guards and commandants I would be OK about doing it.

But in cases like Derek Bentley and Ruth Ellis I would be very unhappy about it and I like to think I would refuse to do it.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 11:30 am

Woodpecker wrote:
I once met a UK prison officer (no I was not an inmate) and he told me that most murders are one off crimes commited by a law abiding person who snaps once. The person is unlikely to ever commit another serious crime in their life.

But I know that some criminals are pure evil and have the potential to commit murder again and again.

I think that the real acid test is the question "would I feel happy about being the hangman or gunman who has the job of killing criminals".

I would have to say that for the majority of murder cases I would feel deeply unhappy about killing the criminal, but in selected cases where there are clear aggravating features of the crime I would be willing to do the job. To me it would not be fun or a jolly act, but instead an nasty job which needed doing for the good of society.

I think in the cases of Bundy, the Washington Sniper, Andrei Chikatilo, Fred West and nazi concentration camp guards and commandants I would be OK about doing it.

But in cases like Derek Bentley and Ruth Ellis I would be very unhappy about it and I like to think I would refuse to do it.

I agree Some dumb kid that gets in over his/her head and does one awful thing shouldn't be put to death, but when it's a pattern were someone kills over and over or kills to get joy out of the act or torchers a child to death like in the case in the UK of Baby P or in NM in the case of Baby Brianna they should pay for those crimes with their lifes.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 11:52 pm

DenvrDave wrote:
No thought to curing the disease? I guess that depends on how you define "disease." Here's a thought: Click, bang. Disease cured.

No, merely one symptom suppressed. The disease remains.

What are the root causes of violent crime? Until we can answer that question, and address the causes, the disease will remain.