Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Nov 2009, 10:43 pm

Hey everyone!! I have a job interview at a SPED school for elementary kids...teachers Aide. Would it HELP or HINDER my interview/application if I told them I had Aspergers? I don't know what to do! If I tell them, then they might think I'm good for the job because I'd understand the kids, but they could also think of it as a negative....What do you all think?? Thanks!! ! Its on Friday so any answers are appreciated!

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2009, 11:17 pm

I think it would really depends on how you used it in the interview. Only use it as a strength.. as in "this is how I overcame my limitations", not as in "my disability held me back or limited me". Most will side with the underdog. NEVER use a disability or handicap in a negative way in an interview or you will not get the job!

First of all, you are qualified for the position or you would not be getting an interview. Now you need to let them know you will fit in and benefit their team.

DO NOT TRY TO BE SOMETHING YOU ARE NOT!! They may have something different then you in mind, what you need to do is let them know you are a better fit then their preconceived idea.

Break a leg

Penandinkmarie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Nov 2009, 11:26 am

Thank you so much!

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2009, 2:57 am

Personally I would not say anything about it. Although I am fairly sure I have it I have never gotten anything but a negative reaction from people when I told them this, and these were people who already knew and liked me. Most people do not know anything about it and they have only a vague sense that it is related to Autism, which they also know nothing about. I think it is better to show them what a good job you do and if you mention later that you have it or it becomes apparent to them, this will just be an enhanced part of you, rather than something (to them) scary and unknown that might be worrisome.