Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 10:16 pm

I don't want to say its a bad movie. But you should avoid it like the H1N1 virus. Predictable, repeatitave. You get to see a plane taking off just as the runway sinks away into the earth not once but THREE TIMES in the same movie.

The only good part is the FX. You can see most of the good shots in the ads.

Aietra
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Nov 2009, 10:52 pm

Hehe... At last, someone who shares my view on disaster movies! They're all the same, in my humble opinion.

Ooh! "Adam" comes out here (in New Zealand) next week! Reckon I should catch that one?

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 11:49 pm

I really wanted to see Adam but it had a limited relase in the US. So I can't tell you about it.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 1:03 am

I just watched a clip of Southern California EXPLODING with earthquakey badness, and I don't think I could sit through a whole movie of that sort of thing. I did laugh at several points while they were driving, though I think they played it for laughs considering only a fool would expect the audience to buy a scene like that without question. But watching the packed freeway ramps collapsing, digital versions of the very streets I drive upon every day crumbling under the screaming SUV drivers, and the too familiar parking structures shaking into a fine powder, left me a bit queasy. As corny as the move is over all(from what I've heard) I'm one of those people who suspends disbelief too well. Disaster movies have always left me feeling woozy.

Although, I had heard that the positioning of the plates in this area would actually indicated that Southern California would slide up and out in a north-westerly direction, rather than snapping off into the ocean... But doubtless making the journey would be enough to splatter most of the denizens just the same.

I do wish they'd show bits of Disneyland flaking into the sea...

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 9:12 pm

As a shut-off-the-brain screensaver movie, it's passable.

But after deep impact, I need to ask... What is it with Black US Presidents and Tidal Waves?

Should we all be going out to buy surfboards now that Obama is in?

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 2:10 pm

I think I'm starting to get this Roald Emmerich director mixed up with Michael Bay...for obvious reasons. :lol:

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 6:08 pm

KenM wrote:
I don't want to say its a bad movie. But you should avoid it like the H1N1 virus. Predictable, repeatitave. You get to see a plane taking off just as the runway sinks away into the earth not once but THREE TIMES in the same movie.

The only good part is the FX. You can see most of the good shots in the ads.

I have to agree with you KenM. I went to see it a couple of nights ago and, yes, the three plane take offs with the whole sinking-runway-and-narrowly-missing-flying-hot-rocks-the-size-of-four-of-those-planes-and-dodging-falling-buildings-and-cities was verging on the ridiculous! In fact it was that that made the whole film into a comedy for me. It was just so far-fetched, but hey, good escape from reality. If that happened for real, I think the credit crunch and my lack of job security (as well as other people's) would somehow pale into insignificance. The special effects were pretty amazing though. That is what made the film particularly enjoyable for me.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2009, 2:40 am

gbollard wrote:
But after deep impact, I need to ask... What is it with Black US Presidents and Tidal Waves?

Well they both meet in this one! ;)

The former things have passed away."

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2009, 4:17 pm

I'm trying to avoid things that have anything remotely to do with 2012. I can't stand people who actually believe the world is going to end in 2012, and I have a hunch that this film will only fuel that anxiety in people. I mean, there have been hundreds of end-of-the-world prophecies since Jesus' supposed death, and NONE OF THEM CAME TRUE!