Tufted Titmouse

14 Nov 2009, 6:47 pm

I was just wondering if anyone binges on food

It feels like I have a problem with food and dont know what to do about it

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 7:00 pm

I have food issues-There's a book by Susie Orbach-Fat is a Feminist Issue which explores women's relationship to food. It was published in 1982 so it's been out for a while. One thing I remember it brought up was how traditionally food was a way for women to show caring for their loved ones, but they were expected to deny that for themselves in order to be thin. I'll have to read it again.

CRD
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 9:18 pm

I'm a recoving bing and fast bulimic, I haven't done the fasting in over ten years but the bing part has been harder to break and I relapes on that once or twice a year. It hads ruined my metabolism and I'm now over weight because of it. Wasn't worth it if your heading down that road get help quickly. My lowest weight was 79 lbs and for a big boned woman with wide shoulders it wasn't a great look even at only 5ft tall, but being between 150-175 isn't a great to look at ethier but now I'm not passing out in puplic places.

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 9:42 am

Yes, it is something I've always done.

Not sure why. Also, not sure how to get out of the habit.

I have an addictive personality and take to things easily. Also, I find i have to be moving all the time, and by moving I do not mean exercise I get none of that anymore, unfortunately. When doing a report for instance I will take sip after sip of water or coffee or nibble after nibble of food. If i smoked I'd be a chain smoker. I've always thought it has to do with the movement more than the food as comfort. Like motion helps a baby get to sleep. Or perhaps how aspies rock when they're deep into something they enjoy.

Over a year ago I woke up one morning and never wanted to drink again. I'm still hoping that one day I will wake up and be able to control my eating habits.

Wouldn't it be nice? :roll:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 11:32 am

nansnick wrote:
Yes, it is something I've always done.

Not sure why. Also, not sure how to get out of the habit.

I have an addictive personality and take to things easily. Also, I find i have to be moving all the time, and by moving I do not mean exercise I get none of that anymore, unfortunately. When doing a report for instance I will take sip after sip of water or coffee or nibble after nibble of food. If i smoked I'd be a chain smoker. I've always thought it has to do with the movement more than the food as comfort. Like motion helps a baby get to sleep. Or perhaps how aspies rock when they're deep into something they enjoy.

Over a year ago I woke up one morning and never wanted to drink again. I'm still hoping that one day I will wake up and be able to control my eating habits.

Wouldn't it be nice? :roll:

I've always been very orally focused in everything but talking-I have been a chain smoker but I've managed to cut down. When I drank, I drank too fast because social anxiety always had the bottle at my lips as an excuse not to talk. A man I know who works at one of the offices I clean told me he smokes cigars because he can't suck his thumb. :lol:

nansnick
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 1:42 pm

Aimless wrote:
I've always been very orally focused in everything but talking-I have been a chain smoker but I've managed to cut down. When I drank, I drank too fast because social anxiety always had the bottle at my lips as an excuse not to talk. A man I know who works at one of the offices I clean told me he smokes cigars because he can't suck his thumb. :lol:

Never thought of it as an oral fixation before. An interesting perspective.

Another thing is I'm always touching my face, or chewing my lips.

A thought just occurred, its like a stim. Growing up I was told not to fidget or shake or show emotion. Perhaps, It's my way of getting that emotion or feeling out. Instead of stimming by shaking my hands really fast, I substitute moving my hand from my face to my plate, from my face to my glass, from my face to my plate. It satisfies the need for motion.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2009, 2:16 pm

I had trouble with binge eating as a child. I was a very uncomfortable child with lots of sensory and motor issues...but food made me happy and eating was like a stim..so I ate whenever I could. I would lock myself away with a pile of books and a box of cookies on a regular basis. I had a lot of anxiety and fixations on food. Part of it might have had something to do with PTSD..according to some things i read. There were some aspects of my childhood that were kinda rocky...and I might have had PTSD when I was young.

I was obese by the age of 9 or 10...and it affected the way my body developed and everything.
The only way I was able to snap out of it was to become a vegetarian...and that happened when I was 14..it became a special interest...and it really helped me emerge from the destructive cycle I was in...and helped me adjust better in a lot of different ways.
I was able to become height-weight proportionate by the time I was 15 or 16 ..just by the simple act of limiting most animal products from my diet...

I was a vegetarian for 10 years and managed to mantain a reasonable weight. When I started eating meat again around the age of 25, my food obsession returned, and so did my weight problem...
The only way I can manage to stay remotely near what I am supposed to weigh for my height is to be a vegetarian....
Right now I am doing ok...but could do better.
My executive dysfunction issues make it a little hard to regiment the perfect diet and exercise routines...but I always plan to do better...
As it stands I am sorta slightly overweight...but weigh less than i did in the past...and am close to my goal of being HWP...by about 15 lbs or so.