I need to find a career that I can enjoy, not just cope with

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MissMax
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2009, 9:47 pm

About a month ago I was diagnosed with Asperger's by the psychiatrist I'm seeing for severe depression. Today she gave me the name of this site. This is my first post, so please excuse me if I do something wrong.

Part of my depression is a result of feeling like there are no jobs out there that I could honestly enjoy. I'm a freshman in college and my GPA is currently a 4.0. I have good friends, a good family, and they're always telling me that I could be anything I wanted to be. I'm sure they're right and I could get pretty much any job I set my mind to (please forgive me if that sounds egotistical) but the problem is there simply are no jobs that sound interesting. I'm very afraid that I'll end up getting a job that I'll just tolerate, the same way I tolerated high school and am tolerating college now. I'm sick of tolerating this world; I want to enjoy it. And I figure my only way to honestly enjoy it would be to get a job I truly enjoy.

For as long as I can remember my interests were only for things that don't exist (supernatural and spiritual things, shall I say). Even as a little kid I never wanted a real job; I just wanted to be a shape-shifter or a vampire or something. That was okay when I was a kid, but now it has become a huge issue. Now the real, human world is dragging me to front and center stage, and I want nothing to do with it. I've tried desperately to find a career that I might enjoy, but to no avail.

So please, if you have any tips for how I can find a career I might enjoy, PLEASE let me know. This question is mainly for adults with Asperger's who have found a job they like, but I would really appreciate help from anyone right now. I feel like knowing what I'd like to be is a key step towards being okay with living in this human world.

Sorry for the long post.

MrTeacher
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Nov 2009, 10:06 pm

Don't get a job then.

Go on a trip overseas and make some friends. Put yourself in a situation outside of your comfort zone to see what it is like. Maybe you will find something you like, or a new skill that you can use to create a business.

There is no point in going to college for the sake of it. You can screw up your average and get in debt especially if you become disinterested in school or cannot handle the social situation.

If anything, remember that you want to be specialized in what you can do. You want a broad topic (say computers), but you want a narrow skill that you are very good at (say programming). That way you are more attractive to employers because if you are not good at making friends/being social at work, then you better be good at what you do.

EngishForAliens
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2009, 9:37 am

I'm an aspie adult lucky enough to have a job in my special interest. From what yolu say about yours why don't you think about creative writing, comic books or fiction. Maybe even aim towards writing for tv shows that involve those interests. Might sound stupid and maybe I took you too literally but that's what your mentioned special interests would lead you to. The pay will be bad but if you get very good it will pay off in a big way.

The people that write "Heroes" has to start somewhere.

Oregon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Nov 2009, 10:02 am

Having a good education behind you helps your logic process and your chances to become gainfully employed. If you earn a core degree (business, engineering, etc) it will open many doors of opportunity for you in the future.

In today's world, most people only stay at a job for a few years before moving up to a new one. The 20+ years working for the some company, stuck in the same boring position is a thing of the past.

I know many people who work to pay for their true passions. I have a few friends that are professional writers, but do not make enough income off it to make a living.. so they are tech writers, teachers, librarians, park rangers, etc.. to make ends meet.

You mentioned vampires.. you could alway find a job working as a forensic pathologists or a coroner.

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Nov 2009, 10:52 am

> I'm sick of tolerating this world; I want to enjoy it.

I guess you have to find some part of the world where you can do something with your interests and skills. If you're interested in supernatural/imaginative things, does that relate in any way to what you're studying? Are you studying anthropology? Movie-making?

I want to find a place in the world for me, too, but so far no indication any such thing exists.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Dec 2009, 12:28 pm

I know EXACTLY how you feel.
I went to school for hair design and am now working as a stylist full time.
I tolerate it for the love of hair...not styles...just the textures and sounds when I cut it!
I see the styles as a math equation (easy enough to replicate and do again and again)
I have a hard time in an all female work environment though.
I like it, but I don't love it!
Someday I want out of the "people pleasing" industry...I think I'd like to be a veterinarian's assistant and work with animals! The don't say "You're weird" to me 7 days a week (as if I haven't heard THAT one my whole life!!

Ladarzak
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2009, 4:57 pm

>I went to school for hair design and am now working as a stylist full time.
I tolerate it for the love of hair...not styles...just the textures and sounds when I cut it!
I see the styles as a math equation (easy enough to replicate and do again and again)
I have a hard time in an all female work environment though.
I like it, but I don't love it!
Someday I want out of the "people pleasing" industry...I think I'd like to be a veterinarian's assistant and work with animals!

This and the original poster sound exactly like me, too. (Well, I didn't have a perfect GPA by far, though.) I tolerated teaching for the fun of playing around with words and concepts about language.

I have several strong abilities, but the gaping holes around coping with people make it hard to fit my pieces into the real world. I'm not interested in the roles I see in the world, that I am capable of. I travelled overseas -- didn't make a single friend, of course, nor did I make any in jobs that lasted 5-8 years. Just acquaintances. No real connection. I'm disconnected. The things I like in the world are animals and nature, all being destroyed by the overload of repulsive people breeding everywhere. I feel connected to the squirrel on my street, or a leaf or a bee or a bird, not people-things.

So, I think working with entertainment could be good for the OP, but their interest in the supernatural might not match the fictional concept -- I'm not sure -- just as my interest in animals and nature doesn't match the concept that they are a resource to be used up by people.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2009, 4:29 pm

Try applying for a job at a bookstore or volunteering at a library.

*shrugs*

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 12:44 pm

Most college freshmen have no idea what they want to do when they finish college, and I'm not just talking about aspies. It's normal. Try taking diverse classes. You might find something else you like, or a field where you can apply your appreciation for the supernatural in a way you hadn't thought of. I personally only had one serious interest when I started college, but by the time I graduated I had so many new ones I didn't know which to pursue.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2009, 9:20 am

Forget about a "career."

IMHO, it will make you depressed because (1) finding a "career" that fulfills you is hard to nigh impossible and (2) you'll likely find that a "career" isn't going to satisfy what you really want on the inside anyway. At best it's a job you enjoy enough to not mind going to.

Supporting yourself is the more important priority. Once you get a job, the key is to try and make the most of it...often finding outside things that make you happy to which the job is a means to an end. We all do things we don't really like to have the things we do like. How you choose to look at your situation will do a great deal to help you cope with how your job makes you feel.

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2009, 8:07 am

Some people who don't know what they want to do undergo professional career assessments to determined some careers they would be best suited to... there are similar sorts of things online if you look around with long lists of would you rather do A or B etc...

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge