Authors that speak to you as an Aspie

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Levanah
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2009, 10:13 pm

For me , some authors have a particular "voice" or style of writing that makes me feel compelled to find everything that writer has ever published. Something about the way they write keeps me enthralled throughout an entire book or series. Other writers can be very good , and their books can still be enjoyable, without giving me that same feeling of excitement that keeps my eyes glued to the page.
Authors like this include:
Michael Gruber
Terry Pratchett(more so in his later books)
Tom Holt(some of his books more so than others)
Diane Duane
Mary Doria Russell
China Mieville
David Gerrold
Christopher Moore
Rudy Rucker
Orson Scott Card
Nina Kiriki Hoffman
John C. Wright
Geoff Ryman
and a lot of others that I can't recall off the top of my head, but those are some of the more prolific authors I can think of whose writing nearly always keeps me enthralled. It's hard for me to describe exactly what it is about the quality of their writing that I enjoy so much.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

28 Nov 2009, 1:49 am

Clive Barker.

I'm in the middle of re-reading The Great and Secret Show. One of the characters, Fletcher, is very aspie-like.

I just read this part a few hours ago: "...Fletcher cursed his inadequacy. He'd never been much good at persuasion, leaping from banality to visions with no proper grasp of the middle ground between: the simple social skills which most people were proficient in by the age of 10."

Fletcher's son, Howard, also shows aspie characteristics: "...he seldom smiled. Didn't do much speaking either, come to that. In company, he stammered."
This part about Howard really reminds me of myself: "This was a town where they measured your worth by the name on your sneakers. He didn't wear sneakers; he wore black leather high-tops that he'd use day-in, day-out until they fell apart, whereupon he'd buy an identical pair."